Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

R.I.P George Lindsey (1928-2012)

Like This Thread!

Actor George Lindsay known for his role of Goober Pyle in the Andy Griffith Show and other shows like Hee Haw passed away.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...ober-pyle.html

George Lindsey, who made a TV career as a grinning service station attendant named Goober on The Andy Griffith Show and Hee Haw, has died. He was 83.
    The Marshall-Donnelly-Combs Funeral Home in Nashville said Lindsay died early Sunday morning after a brief illness.

Lindsey was the beanie-wearing Goober on The Andy Griffith Show from 1964 to 1968 and its successor, Mayberry RFD, from 1968 to 1971. He played the same jovial character on Hee Haw from 1971 until it went out of production in 1993.

"America has grown up with me," Lindsey said in an Associated Press interview in 1985. "Goober is every man; everyone finds something to like about ol' Goober."

He joined The Andy Griffith Show in 1964 when Jim Nabors, portraying Gomer Pyle, left the program. Goober Pyle, who had been mentioned on the show as Gomer's cousin, replaced him.
    "At that time, we were the best acting ensemble on TV," Lindsey once told an interviewer. "The scripts were terrific. Andy [Griffith] is the best script constructionist I've ever been involved with. And you have to lift your acting level up to his; he's awfully good."

In a statement released through the funeral home, Griffith said, "George Lindsey was my friend. I had great respect for his talent and his human spirit. In recent years, we spoke often by telephone. Our last conversation was a few days ago ... I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our 80s, we were not afraid to say, 'I love you.' That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other: 'I love you.'"

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, thats sad. I didn;t even know he was still alive.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst