0 0%
  • 1/2

1 1.72%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Wow, it just occured to me that Tony never mentioned Rhodey in the film. Heck, he doesn't even compare Cap to him. O.o
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    Wow, it just occured to me that Tony never mentioned Rhodey in the film. Heck, he doesn't even compare Cap to him. O.o
    That's not surprising. They neglected both Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2, the two biggest missteps in the MCU as of yet IMHO. They seem like chapters of a novel or episodes of a tv series that felt like filler. However, I think it more had to do with the drama they had with those films.

Marvel managed to disenchant Terrence Howard, Jon Favreau, Ed Norton, and who knows who else to pull this Avengers Initiative off. Cheadle did IM2 cause he was a friend of Howard and can deal with ensemble pieces as proven by his films such as O11 trilogy, Rat Pack biopic, and Crash. He also created a completely different Rhody which is not exactly smart in franchises like this. So we also had no mention off Betty Ross, or General Ross, or the existence of a Hulkbusters taskforce.

As a Hulk fan I think they rushed the process of the Hulk, berserker Hulk defines the character. I kinda hope for those deleted scenes to fill in some blanks.

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    That's not surprising. They neglected both Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2, the two biggest missteps in the MCU as of yet IMHO. They seem like chapters of a novel or episodes of a tv series that felt like filler. However, I think it more had to do with the drama they had with those films.
    Not true. Tony's rejection from The Avengers Initiative in IM2 is mentioned, as is the Hulk's fight in Harlem.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spideyzilla View Post
    Not true. Tony's rejection from The Avengers Initiative in IM2 is mentioned, as is the Hulk's fight in Harlem.

That's true, completely forgot about those two. I actually laughed at the Harlem, can't believe I forgot that.

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe that Don Cheadle is returning for Iron Man 3, so Rhodey won't be entirely forgotten. I think that he wasn't added or referenced simply because there wasn't any real need for him to in the plot.

stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I spotted that article from the Guardian where the Avengers was retitled "Marvel Avengers Assemble" in the UK to avoid the confusion with the 1960s British spy series.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...rst-film-title

The Talon is offline Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since Marvel seems to be going spin-off crazy (with Iron Man 3 & Thor 2 coming out next year, & Captain America 2 coming out in 2014), I had an idea for a spin-off prequel. I call it SHIELD Origins. The plot shows in the past how Nick Fury, Maria Hill, & Agent Coulson all joined SHIELD, then it goes a bit forward to show how they notice a mysterious Russian assassin known as The Black Widow is comitting heinous crimes, so they send in the world's greatest marksman to kill her, Hawkeye. I think it'd be pretty good, how 'bout you guys?

Young Justice is offline Rookie Agent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Captain America's outfit

I was the only one that was disappointed with Captain America's outfit? His suit was much better in First Avenger than in this movie. In "First..." they managed to make a blend with his classic American Flag uniform w/ a more military look. But now the uniform was only the classic American Flag type and to me looked cheap and much inferior than the rest of the cast. It looked like cosplay.

The rest of the movie was awesome, and I liked it very much. Although Mark Ruffalo was OK as Banner, I missed Edward Norton. I think he would make a difference for the better.
    ===================
    Let's show Activision and Raven Software that X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends 2 deserve to be re-released in HD format for PS3 and XBox 360.

Like and Share at http://www.facebook.com/XMenLegendsHd

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cap's uniform grew on me as the film progressed. On the other hand, the Hulk acted a little too "ape-like" for my tastes. Especially when he was kneeling over the wounded Iron Man there at the end.

My favorites in this series (from best to "least favorite"):

1. Incredible Hulk (2008) - yes, I know I'm the odd man who loved it.
    2. Thor
    3. Avengers
    4. Iron Man
    5. Captain America
    6. Iron Man 2 - didn't hate it, but yeah, it was just "okay".

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow. This is a brilliant dissection of Banner and the Hulk from this film. It really says all that needs to be said.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Cap's uniform grew on me as the film progressed. On the other hand, the Hulk acted a little too "ape-like" for my tastes. Especially when he was kneeling over the wounded Iron Man there at the end.

The Hulk always had a nice healthy dose of King Kong, as well as Frankenstein, mixed in with Jekyll and Hyde.

My favorites in this series (from best to "least favorite"):

1. Incredible Hulk (2008) - yes, I know I'm the odd man who loved it.
    2. Thor
    3. Avengers
    4. Iron Man
    5. Captain America
    6. Iron Man 2 - didn't hate it, but yeah, it was just "okay".

To me, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor are just about equally great (depending on which day you ask me) and miles above Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk which I'd say are equally just okay.

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw the movie on last Friday and loved it! It had everything I wanted in it with epic battles, good dialogue, and all the Avengers in one movie, and nothing I didn't. Loki actually seemed threatening in this movie which I enjoyed seeing along with Bruce Banner being in control of when he Hulk's in a movie. I loved this movie so much and I can't wait to see it again.

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if Joss Whedon's Mutant Enemy Inc. production company was credited at the beginning or end of the movie?

I've seen the movie twice and did not notice or even think to look until now.

Last edited by Bat-Fan Beyond; 05-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know, looking back on it, The incident with Blonsky back in the Incredible Hulk movie was probably the best thing that could have happened to Bruce.

It forced him to do something with all that power besides run from it, and let him take the first step towards controlling it.

And look at him now. Calling out the Hulk at will to do genuine good.

He may not have wanted things to turn out this way, but maybe it was for the best.

Tony's constant support (offering Bruce a job, believing he would show up at the final battle, etc) likely helped a little as well.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it today and enjoyed it a lot. Joss Whedon... *happy sigh*

Keep in mind, I've only seen the Iron Man movies (though am probably going to catch Thor now because hello Chris Hemsworth) and have never read any comics. I'm about as casual a geek as you're going to find going to a movie like this. I was worried about being confused going into this but found it pretty accessible (though I had no idea what was going on in that mid-credit scene).

Maybe I just adore Jeremy Renner in general, but I want to be Hawkeye when I grow up Or at least watch a movie with him and Black Widow.

And I really enjoyed that the "normal" heroes were well-balanced with the heavy hitters. It would be so easy for Hawkeye and Black Widow, in particular, to be outmatched completely by Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk, but they all had their place and the balance felt right.

Loved the very Whedonesque dialogue throughout. Snarky groups of misfits are sure his specialty and he brought his A-game for this movie. "Puny god" had me in stitches. And Iron Man's first encounter with Thor. "Shakespeare in the Park?"

I was also expecting to really not like the Hulk. That character has just never held any interest for me, but he totally stole the show. Major props to Mark Ruffalo. Loved the budding genius!bromance between Banner and Tony Stark, too.

Was really enjoying Loki, too (another reason to see Thor, no doubt). Smart villains are always my favorite and it was fun watching him pull the strings. But smart antagonists are usually arrogant and that was Loki's downfall as well, underestimating the heroes time and time again. "If it's all the same to you, I'll take that drink now." Tehehe.

Overall, that was a very, very fun film experience. Everything I want in a good blockbuster. *****/*****

Side note, I cannot hear "Stark" without thinking of Game of Thrones anymore, though, so the first time we saw Stark tower, I was thinking, "Winterfell's in New York?"

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    LJ | FF.N | AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast

Zen Man is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally saw it today, and loved every second of it. Gotta say The Hulk definately stole the movie. Joss Whedon did a great job of blending these different characters together with their different quirks and personalities. The final fight scene was really epic; though I was kinda expecting more from Loki, seeing as how he was the main villian. Still an awesome movie that lives up to the hype.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’m surprised at the low turnout for this thread, but given the drop in activity here I am not too shocked.

Still hopefully more people will comment and discuss the movie. I caught The Avengers three times so far and I’ve enjoyed it every time. While not perfect and not the best comic book movie it is easily one of the best Marvel movies todate. It rivals the likes of X-Men: First Class, X2, Spider-Man 2 and the first Iron Man as the best Marvel has to offer.

While it takes a bit for it to get going it was impossible not to have afun time watching this movie. Seeing all these heroes on the big screen together is pretty amazing. This actually felt like a comic book come to life,with all these different heroes from their own franchises coming together. Marvel’s work at building these characters up before the Avengers really paid off here. While some characters got a bit of a the short stick I think overall the results are pretty successful. Every character worked and everything felt organic and right. It felt like both a sequel and the start of a whole new franchise all at once.

The writing and directing were very good. Not every joke was a home run but this was definitely a Whedon movie. The jokes, the snappy dialogue, all of it felt like Whedon. Sure there were som eplot holes but nothing too distracting. I also thought he did a good job directing his first big picture. It actually felt like the big budget movie it should though at times you could tell his lack of experience when it comes to big budget movies was leaking in here and there. He balanced the action really well but not everything was as well-staged as it could have been at times.

It was definitely a solid 8 or 9 out of ten for sure. A couple hiccups along the way, like the pace dragging for the first half of the movie and some clunky dialogue, but the film is a huge success overall. This really is a genre-changing movie that I hope other studios pay attention to.

And that Thanos cameo? Amazing!
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Talon View Post
    Since Marvel seems to be going spin-off crazy (with Iron Man 3 & Thor 2 coming out next year, & Captain America 2 coming out in 2014), I had an idea for a spin-off prequel. I call it SHIELD Origins. The plot shows in the past how Nick Fury, Maria Hill, & Agent Coulson all joined SHIELD, then it goes a bit forward to show how they notice a mysterious Russian assassin known as The Black Widow is comitting heinous crimes, so they send in the world's greatest marksman to kill her, Hawkeye. I think it'd be pretty good, how 'bout you guys?
    None of those are really spin-offs since they're sequels to movies that preceded The Avengers. As for the SHIELD movie, that's a good idea, and allows for Coulson to be used again.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Justice View Post
    I was the only one that was disappointed with Captain America's outfit? His suit was much better in First Avenger than in this movie. In "First..." they managed to make a blend with his classic American Flag uniform w/ a more military look. But now the uniform was only the classic American Flag type and to me looked cheap and much inferior than the rest of the cast. It looked like cosplay.
    I felt the exact same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    Iím surprised at the low turnout for this thread, but given the drop in activity here I am not surprised.

Still hopefully more people will comment and discuss the movie. I caught The Avengers three times so far and Iíve enjoyed it every time. While not perfect and not the best comic book movie it is easily one of the best Marvel movies todate. It rivals the likes of X-Men: First Class, X2, Spider-Man 2 and the first Iron Man as the best Marvel has to offer.

While it takes a bit for it to get going it was impossible not to have afun time watching this movie. Seeing all these heroes on the big screen together is pretty amazing. This actually felt like a comic book come to life,with all these different heroes from their own franchises coming together. Marvelís work at building these characters up before the Avengers really paid off here. While some characters got a bit of a the short stick I think overall the results are pretty successful. Every character worked and everything felt organic and right. It felt like both a sequel and the start of a whole new franchise all at once.

The writing and directing were very good. Not every joke was a home run but this was definitely a Whedon movie. The jokes, the snappy dialogue, all of it felt like Whedon. Sure there were som eplot holes but nothing too distracting. I also thought he did a good job directing his first big picture. It actually felt like the big budget movie it should though at times you could tell his lack of experience when it comes to big budget movies was leaking in here and there. He balanced the action really well but not everything was as well-staged as it could have been at times.

It was definitely a solid 8 or 9 out of ten for sure. A couple hiccups along the way, like the pace dragging for the first half of the movie and some clunky dialogue, but the film is a huge success overall. This really is a genre-changing movie that I hope other studios pay attention to.

And that Thanos cameo? Amazing!
    This wasn't his first big movie. He had Serenity way back in 2005 I think. And I really liked it a lot at first, but I don't think Spider-Man 2 holds up that well, especially when compared to the other movies you listed.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was such an amazing film, truly something special and worthy of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I'm glad everything worked out with solo movies and getting the heroes together, paying off the interactions and giving them great moments (sure, I expected more like Cap adjusting to present day or Tony having to do more to get into the club over Rhodey). Luckily, the Big Guns didn't overshadow the others, and I was pleasantly surprised by Widow on many occasions (but not that surprised since it is Joss).

Tom Hiddleston is definitely the best Marvel Cinematic Universe villain, and he continues to prove it here. Wonder if his dad...uh...Anthony Hopkins...gave him any pointers about pulling off a good Hannibal Lecter routine from inside a cell.

Although I prefer the character moments on the Helicarrier (and am still shocked about Coulson), the final battle was incredible. I'm not a huge fan of wave after wave of weirdo aliens with little motivation that go down easily, but this movie did a great job at it. And we still got good moments, like Cap saving those hostages.

I want a Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie! His Banner was different than Norton's, but I still feel it was a natural progression of the character from the last movie. Plus I loved the way he and Tony bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by The Talon View Post
    I'd love to see a SHIELD movie with Fury, Coulson, Hill, Widow and Hawkeye. Lot of potential in that.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    On the other hand, the Hulk acted a little too "ape-like" for my tastes. Especially when he was kneeling over the wounded Iron Man there at the end.
    I liked ape-like Hulk, it makes sense he'd fight and jump from building to building like that.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    This wasn't his first big movie. He had Serenity way back in 2005 I think. And I really liked it a lot at first, but I don't think Spider-Man 2 holds up that well, especially when compared to the other movies you listed.
    He did Serenity I know, but that had a much smaller budget and I wouldn't consider it "big" on scale with Avengers. It was no summer tentpole movie like this.

I still think Spider-Man 2 is good. It's the best of the Riami movies and holds up better than the other two. It looks like Amazing Spider-Man is going to top it though.

Well, I caught The Avengers one last time - in 2D this time - and it's a great movie and I'd recommend seeing this movie more than once. Still one thing that does bug me is while the film does provide a basic background for the main Avengers it does seem like it would be easy for someone who hasn't seen the movie to get a bit lost. A minor complaint, one of the few I have, to an overall awesome movie! A few of the friends I went with had no idea who Thanos was when he appeared in the first end credits scene. Still I am glad that is not stopping people from coming out in droves to see it. It also helps that May looks a little light for big, big movies which can kee the movie on top for a bit longer!
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast