1 1.72%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 1.72%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Here's my rather long review in spoiler tags since like I've said several times I can be rambly with these kind of things.

Spoiler:
    Though I at least heard of the Fantastic Four and X-Men growing up through shows and video games, I was unaware for quite awhile of the Avengers. That is until the Fox Kids cartoon. You know Avengers: United they Stand, aka the very forgotten late 90's attempt to make a superhero cartoon of only the C and D-List marvel heroes as the leads. I mean at least Superfriends was memorably hokey while that was very eh, and then Justice League came along with Teen Titans to show some really awesome (well at times) superhero cartoons. And since I didn't have that much an interest in the comics I never really followed the Avengers or who made up what. That is until hearing they were building to an Avengers team with the line of solo movies as well as enjoying what I could of the Avengers Earth Mightest heroes cartoon. I admit I still wasn't a full on fan of the team but I really liked the build up they were doing for this movie. And after catching Thor and Captain America, I recently checked out the first two Iron Man and Incredible Hulk movie since I really wanted to see everything this movieverse had to offer. And what I saw just made me more of a fan and really wanted to see what this movie could deliever and really hope one of the biggest most unique and buzzed movies this year could deliever. So did it?

Well this is just my opinion but... yes, yes it did.

I'm going to get a couple of very, very minor nitpicks out of the way. I kind of feel since we got to check up on Pepper Pots and hear Jarvis, we should of had a bit of everyone else's support team. They made mention of Jane and Captain America had a flashback of his friends but I don't know a little bit from the others besides Tony. Even if it was just a cameo. Yeah I know they'll appear again (well maybe Hulk's wont if he isn't getting a sequel movie) but seeing them here would of been nice. Also part of me thinks that there should of been a bit more development on the entire team after Colson's "death" (yeah they "showed" he died but hinted that it was an act so I'm guessing he'll pop up again in Iron Man 3 in some form) to kind of conclude their story arcs. We got some of it during battle but I don't know, a bit more would of been nice. Also maybe another scene of the group Loki was talking to. I mean yeah the ending was a tease at them appearing again but something besides them being one of the alien forces from another universe and them thinking so lowly of earth until they got battered around by the Avengers team. Oh and I would of liked an actual joke in that ending bit with the team eating food instead of them just sitting there saying nothing. Felt like a case where ANY line would of just made that funny and not saying anything ruined the potential for a joke. Though really, those are my biggest grievances: wanting to see more. Because everything we got was all very nice. (Actually like Horrible Bosses maybe the worst part of this for me was seeing so much promtiaonl material before hand as I have a feeling if I saw less I would of enjoyed it even more).

First off let me say that as an action movie this delievered very well. Though there were a tussle here and there, there were three big pieces: the opening with Loki entering S.H.I.E.L.D's base and Nick Fury and Maria Hill trying to take him out as he mindwipes everyone, the scuffle on SHEILD'S floating ship (which though I thought was sort of impressive when I saw it in the spiderman cartoon they never did anything with. So glad to see them actually use it and just show how intense the scope is throughout) and the little battles and infights, and of course the big battle at the end with the Avengers taking out all the various Alien creatures and gigantic doomsday ships. Yeah there was a lot of CGI thrown around but it was all done very well without anything really looking fake. And there were a lot of great bits in the action from Maria's car chase, Black Widow trying to escape the Hulk, Widow vs Hawkeye, Captain America and Thor teaming up on some of the invaders, Widow getting a ride from one, and of course Hulk's beatdown of Loki (which got the biggest cheer/applause in my theather and yeah defintley warranted I have to say). Plus like we got a bit of in Iron Man 2 and in Captain America it was team fighting. Espiecally at the end with everyone working together to either try and dislodge the portal or take down all the invading forces. That's what I wanted to see in this movie and it delievered well on that account as it gave a great spotlight on all of the characters. More on that in a bit but I want to talk about another thing the movie did very well: humor.

Actually watching the first three marvel movies as well as what I remember of Thor and Captain America there's always a good sense of comedy in these movies. Not just in the one liners but actually in all the interplay of the characters. And though there was a big serious plot there was defintley a good amount of jabs thrown around: Widow easily taking care of the group holding her as Colson just waited on the other side of the phone, Tony being suprirsed Colson's first name is Greg, Tony and Bruce getting along so well because they're both such giant intellects and Tony being happy someone finally gets him, Cap getting a refrence Nick Fury made, Colson being a Captain America fanboy (best use of the "I watched you sleep" joke I've seen in awhile actually), Nick Fury jabbing Loki while he was detained, Thor smacking Hulk while he was trying to grab his hammer, Bruce being found naked after the big battle, "I'm bringing the party to you", "This is what you call a party?', the already mentioned beatdown of Loki by Hulk (and also Tony getting the upperhand of Loki thanks to his heart protector was another great moment), The Hulk roaring to get Iron Man awake, Stan Lee's cameo and like I said the end was funny but still would of been better with an acutal line.

Still though action and comedy are one thing but what about the actual story? Well part of me wants to say it was a bit fragmented due to jumping around but it actually worked since it always tied it back to the main cast and made it clear exactly what was happening: Loki was being used or using an alien force to try and conquer earth and the heroes had to unite to stop him. It's not really that complex but it doesn't have to be actually. Plus there is an actual sense of drama built up in just what the cube can do as well as why did Loki seemingly go down so quickly at first and what escape route does he have in mind. Plus it's nice to see one of these super hero movies where love isn't one of the big character movitations or a set up for drama as it's more about friendship and joining together as a team. I mean there are a couple of refrences or scenes but it's not a focus, not even for Hawkeye or Black Widow. Who yeah I'm sure have history together but I do beliieve Natasha when she said it wasn't really love but more deep respect. That's how it came across more here and if it were love, it would of been a lot more noticable. I guess if I'm talking about her though might as well start talking about the rest of the cast and say how each of them did.

Iron Man: Though Tony had the most supporting staff as well as the big hero moment directing the nuclear missle through the wormhole to save New York I'm glad that this wasn't his movie. Since yeah I really do like him in the Iron Man movies but this isn't an Iron Man movie and defintley one where he should share the screentime. And he does that very well. I do wish he spent some more time with some of the others (like Black Widow and Hawkeye) but I do like the relationships he did have. Like his battle with Thor and then jabbing him later, him getting along with Bruce so well due to both them being scientists and yeah his rivarly with Steve. I was hoping for some more refrences to the act Cap worked with Howard Stark then just Tony mentioning he's dissapointed after all he heard from Cap but the attidues worked really well together. From butting heads from their different values to how they managed to concide their differences after helping stabalize the ship and forming a friendship after Colson's death. Plus Iron Man had some good moments to his first takedown of Loki to his new set of armor to going on the ground to bash some soliders just looked really impressive. And hey he did get the last pre-teaser/ending scene which makes sense since he gets the next movie which I can't wait to see and see how it refrences this one.

Captain America: I do feel they should of done a bit more with actually his post traumatic stress from just getting up from the war in his movie but Steve was always a good solider and knew how to handle that well. Plus though he did have a cold cynic attidue towards Tony for not following the rules, I also like he wasn't instantly on Fury's side either getting proof of Fury wanting to use weapons from the power of the core. I think the most important character devleopment though was Cap leading the team and giving everyone directions in the final battle. Obviously he isn't the best technical tactian and the strongest but he defintley has a good heart as well as knowing how the team best operates. I mean he stood up to Thor just to get him and Tony to stop fighting and him telling off that new york offical what to do though cliche was a really good moment. Then again I really liked Cap's movie so I'm glad to see him do good here and also do good in his sequal. And hope he has cool moments like fighting Loki or shielding away from an explosion like he had in this one.

Thor: Oddly enough I think Thor got to show off more of his powers here then he did in his actual movie. From getting to see more of his hammer spinning and flying and then trying to reign down lighting in the final battle to block out the portal. And though he had the most fights with other team members (from him and Tony's scuffle to him and the Hulk knocking around one another. Another good joke was Hulk hitting him away after the two fought together against the alien hoard) I don't think he really had a chance to bond with anyone, at least like the others did anyway. Which is a shame since I would of liked to see more of him and Tony trade back verbal blows being the biggest egos of the team but he still had some good bits. Actually trying to get Loki to see the light and talking about how leadership is not about seeing yourself as better then others from escaping the tube to coming in and lightning blasting the alien hordes to save the others. Plus yeah as a god Thor is the oddest fit for everyone in the team but he still fit well and yeah with him taking in Loki we already have a good way to start of Thor 2. Which I hope is a lot better then the first since IMHO the Thor movie is the weakest of these Marvel Cinematic movies.

Hulk: You know a problem I had with the Incredible Hulk is how though Edward Norton is sympathtic and you can understand his plight he didn't have much of a character. I mean it felt like the Hulk grew a lot more then he did and really since Bruce was on the run most of that movie it didn't feel like he had much of a chance for good build. I'm glad to say that's not the case here though. They actually used his scientific mind a lot better then Increidble Hulk did with him figuring out how to use gamma radaiton to track the cube and trading back intel with Tony. I also like the idea that he always keeps the anger with him and that he just chooses when to unleash it. Since hey at the very least the Incredible Hulk movie showed ways of him dealing with his anger. Plus I liked the little bond we got to see of Bruce and Natasha from their meeting to Hulk chasing her to them trusting the other and trading looks at the end. And yeah the Hulk himself had a lot of great charges. One jump felt like too much a big Ang Lee esque bend of physics for my taste but everything else felt as strong and powerful as the character should be. Kind of makes me want to see another Hulk movie though maybe it's better if he's saved for team ups if more of his movies will just be him on the run again since that would just be pretty old.

Black Widow: Oddly enough I think she had the most backstory and most actual character in some ways of the entire team. And thankfully like I said it wasn't really romantic. Yeah she did care for Clint but more as a partner then you know romatnically as well as wanting to try and wash the blood off her hand from her previous actions. A big change from her just appearing in Iron Man 2 to kick butt and pose sexily to actually have a good range of emotions here. From her scene with Loki to even coming up with the plan to get back to the console and shut down the portal (so yeah she was the other big hero at the end besides Tony if you think about it). Maybe they overdid it a bit with trying to showcase her backstory with Loki but when it showed him raving and her realizing his ploy (well thinking she did anyway) it worked out. Plus thinking about it since Steve has a big shield and Hawkeye has all of his cool arrows she's the only one without any big toys or powers to her name. Yeah a lot of cool spy weapons and sneaky wraparound manuvears but usually that's not enough in these kind movies. And glad to see that wasn't the case here.

Hawkeye: Kind of weird that Hawkeye winds up being on the villains side for most of the movie. Well at least the first half anyway thanks to Loki touching him. Wish they did have more of a "I want to make it up after going rogue for so long" but him wanting to put an arrow in Loki's eye as well as sniping everyone from the rooftop and giving Tony advice worked out well. Thinking about it Hawkeye may be the least one we know about since everyone else either had another movie or this one to flesh him out more while a lot of Hawkeye still remains a mystery. Still though after only teasing his bow in Thor glad to see him use a wide arsenal of various shots in this one. I think the best was him doing sneak around arrow shots or shooting Loki with an explosive dart that knocked him back. Personally though I think Widow could carry her own movie but I don't think he can yet but I'd still like to see more of him so here's hoping for that in Avengers 2 or something else down the line.

Nick Fury: After being more of a tease or a "i'm so cool cause I"m Samuel Jackson" it's nice to see one of these movies actually have Fury as a full on character. In this case a spy with his own agenda but one who is still more on the heroes side. Which actually seems different from other continuities where Fury is more for SHEILD and with the higher ups while here he's more on the side of the Avengers. Since this was his inital plan and he wanted to get them all together to show the board this was a much better idea then just building more weapons. In truth he only had a few action movies like at the beginning taking out some of Loki's guards and same in the middle though his missle at the end was pretty cool. As well as him telling off the higher ups that the nukes was a stupid plan and saying the Avengers will come together again if they need to. Hopefully next time around he's more in the forefront of action though since let's face it, who wouldn't want to see Samuel L Jackson just tear up whatever Marvel baddie as Fury. I think some of his best bits were the others jabbing at him like Tony wondering how he sees his console with only one eye or Thor saying trying to control the power of the cube is futile or something to that affect.

Loki: Nice to see a villian in one of thse things actually use a good form of manipulation: in thise case it's a power up of his own powers thanks to the cube and whatever forces he's working with. Who think they're using him even though he's sort of using them as well. After seemingly turning too easily in Thor good to see him as more of a solid villian here as well and actually engage in some sort of fight with most all of the Avengers or at least have a personal connection or scene with each of them. Plus though he did get battered around fairly easily by the team at points him using them to tear at each other while he made his escape as well as his blasting Tony around while they were talking did show his power. And like him using that trick of magic projections like he did in Thor movie to good effect. Like with Colson or tricking Thor and a couple of other times so it was there but not overused. In truth I wonder how Loki's going to keep being a villian since really he has a bad losing streak now but hey if they find a way to keep him interesting and a threat I'll keep watching. Or even as comedic foil since he had some good moments like trying to threathen Thor or saying he would like a drink Tony offered him earlier when all the Avengers are pointing their weapons at him.

The Rest also had some good moments. Though it was fairly scattered like Maria taking out a rouge agent with a shot in the head, Colson using that weapon to hurt Loki (which also got a big reaction from everyone else) and... I think that's Thanos who was at the end. I mean I don't know everything about Marvel yet and am still kind of a newb in some aspects but that was Thanos right? One of the big bads of the entire Marvelverse? Cause it felt like that should be him.

Overall though really great movie with really my biggest complaints being I wanted to see more but what we got was great with a lot awesome action, comedy and characters to go around. And hey if a first avengers movie was this good I think a second could be even better. And really now we know these kind of movies can be made. X-Men proved team super hero movies work but this proved they're even better when you build up the heroes in other movies which makes them teaming up in one so much more grander. So yeah not only the best marvel cinematic movie and possibly the best marvel movie I've seen but as of now, my favorite movie of 2012 since I have the fewest faults with it. And it just being so epically amazing and all.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually had pretty low expectations for this movie. I'm not sure why, exactly. I like Whedon, but sometimes I think his fans are so vocal that I perceive his work to be a tad overrated. Maybe those low expectations worked out perfectly, because I absolutely loved this film. I think what impressed me the most was that it got me to wonder (and I'm not saying this is how I generally feel, just saying it gave me pause) if movies like The Dark Knight are too heavy-handed. In other words, it was just so enjoyable, I began to wonder if just about every superhero film should be done like this was. Obviously, that'd be stifling a lot of creativity, but if I start to think that then it probably means I was impressed.

I felt like most of the characters felt very important toward the plot. Fury, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk... they all had enough presence. Some may say that's something we should demand of every film, but I'm still in the camp that believes achieving that kind of balance is a challenge, not unlike how batting .325 in Major League Baseball is considered remarkable. That's why I don't want a Justice League film yet, no matter how impressive Avengers was, or how impressive Avengers 2 might be. I fully expect whoever has the task of directing a Justice League movie to cop out on us completely and just make Batman the brains of the Justice League, and the other however many members become his arms and legs.

Out of courtesy for those who might've left before the credits rolled:

Spoiler:
    I'm pretty familiar with Thanos and his obsession with Death, and I was fairly confident that it was indeed he in the credits scene, but my brother had to point out to me that saying "courting Death" totally removes any doubt who else it could be. Now that they set the bar so high for the sequel, I'm wondering how they could pull off a great Thanos story if he indeed is the next major villain. If they succeed, I might just abandon my DC Comics preference just out of principle.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've had really low expectations for about a year now, and I'm glad I did. It was about what I expected from Joss Whedon. About an hour-and-a-half of endless squabbling and bickering (imagine all those annoying library scenes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but on a bigger budget) before things finally picked up. The action in the final act was fun, although I got the impression that Whedon really doesn't know how to shoot and edit action on that grand of a scale. How disappointing to finally get Fury in more than just a cameo and find he still basically gets to do nothing. Aside from the opening scene, he spent practically the rest of the movie on the Helicarrier just giving out orders while everyone else got to go out and have all the fun. And the humor! Occasionally it worked but most of the time it didn't, and it felt really forced in and took me out of the movie a lot of the time. Just felt like Joss Whedon going, "Oh, look at how quirky and funny I am." But it's already on track to make a bazillion dollars, so what do I know?

I did like Thor a lot more here than in his own movie since he actually go to do stuff with his powers, and Chris Evans really shines again as Captain America. Had never heard of Mark Ruffalo before, but I really liked him as Banner. I also liked Tom Hiddleston's casualness as Loki, but oddly enough thought he felt like more of a threat in Thor than he did here. Maybe because he spent so much time locked up in the Helicarrier.

Overall, I thought it was mildly entertaining, but lacked the heart and soul of Captain America and the classiness and sophistication of X-Men: First Class. Not anything I'm in a hurry to see again.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was there an after-after credits sequence? I know about the first one, I mean just before the curtains come up?

RedNinja84 is offline Hotness 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes there is, you just have to sit through ALL the credits. Great movie, I loved the action and was a great payoff from the other four movie series. I can't wait for the solo hero sequels and hopefully an Avengers 2.
    2009 TZ Fantasy Football League Champion
    2007 ToonZone Fantasy Baseball League Champion
    "Don't take life too seriously, You'll never get out Alive." Bugs Bunny
    Check out my new blog: Redtiger1984 New review is The Artist
    http://redtiger1984.hubpages.com/
    Follow me on twitter: Redtiger1984

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNinja84 View Post
    Yes there is, you just have to sit through ALL the credits. Great movie, I loved the action and was a great payoff from the other four movie series. I can't wait for the solo hero sequels and hopefully an Avengers 2.
    Considering that Joss Whedon is already discussing Avengers 2, then I think it's safe to say it will happen. He also mentions the DVD will have 30 minutes of deleted scenes (http://collider.com/joss-whedon-the-...erview/160713/). Also keep in mind that Samuel L. Jackson signed a contract to play Nick Fury during 9 movies. (http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/sam...-as-nick-fury/) The first of those was Iron Man 2. This is only the fourth of those 9 movies, which essentially guarantees there will be an Avengers sequel and possibly a S.H.I.E.L.D. story as well.

As far as the movie goes, I went in with high expectations, and I might be in the minority, but I'd say they were actually surpassed. I loved the comic side of Hulk smashing and bashing Loki and Thor. Who can't help but love Black Widow as she is interrogated while actually interrogating the opposition. Iron Man is Iron Man, and Chris Evans continues to be better than I ever expected him to be as Captain America. Thor has officially been surpassed as my favorite Marvel movie. I look forward to the sequel, and the hopeful Avengers debut of Black Panther (I expect him to be in the second one since Marvel is working on a Black Panther movie right now).
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it today and I loved it. Everyone at my theater was laughing and cheering as the movie went along. Everyone laughed when Hulk beat down Loki(although because of it, I couldn't hear Lou Ferringo's line). Speaking of Hulk, I thought the movie did a good job of humanizing Banner and making you care for him. Mark Ruffalo did a good job in the role(although Ed Norton wasn't bad as Banner). Although, I don't know if Hulk will get a solo movie any time soon, since more people prefer the "Hulk Smash" version than the character study of Bruce Banner.

I did stay after for the first set of credits and didn't realize it was Thanos(mainly because I'm not that familar with the character). I didn't know there was a second easter egg scene.

I wish Marvel had the rights to all their characters because in future sequels, the only characters that come to mind are Spider-Man and Wolverine. Speaking of which, I thought it would have been cool if there could have been a Spider-Man reference during the big battle(since it was taking place in NYC). But I digress.

This is shaping up to be a good year of superhero movies(and movies in general).

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    The director and writers did a perfect job juggling all the characters;
    Er, there's only one writer, and he's also the director- Joss Whedon

Hanshotfirst1138 is online now Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24
    I've had really low expectations for about a year now, and I'm glad I did. It was about what I expected from Joss Whedon. About an hour-and-a-half of endless squabbling and bickering (imagine all those annoying library scenes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but on a bigger budget) before things finally picked up. The action in the final act was fun, although I got the impression that Whedon really doesn't know how to shoot and edit action on that grand of a scale. How disappointing to finally get Fury in more than just a cameo and find he still basically gets to do nothing. Aside from the opening scene, he spent practically the rest of the movie on the Helicarrier just giving out orders while everyone else got to go out and have all the fun. And the humor! Occasionally it worked but most of the time it didn't, and it felt really forced in and took me out of the movie a lot of the time. Just felt like Joss Whedon going, "Oh, look at how quirky and funny I am." But it's already on track to make a bazillion dollars, so what do I know?

I did like Thor a lot more here than in his own movie since he actually go to do stuff with his powers, and Chris Evans really shines again as Captain America. Had never heard of Mark Ruffalo before, but I really liked him as Banner. I also liked Tom Hiddleston's casualness as Loki, but oddly enough thought he felt like more of a threat in Thor than he did here. Maybe because he spent so much time locked up in the Helicarrier.

Overall, I thought it was mildly entertaining, but lacked the heart and soul of Captain America and the classiness and sophistication of X-Men: First Class. Not anything I'm in a hurry to see again.
    Why am I not surprised ? There're many ways I'd describe X-Men: First Class, but classy and sophisticated are nowhere on the list. I've seen far, far worse grand-scale action scenes than the finale, I thought Whedon acquired himself well. It was at least coherent. Some of the jokes were flat, but a lot were funny, especially judging from my screening, howling like demonic hyenas. I'm certainly tiring if Whedon's "look how clever I am" moments in stuff like Cabin in the Woods, but here I thought that the studio's impositions did turn it down slightly, and some of it was pretty funny. Incidentally, the whole attack on the hellicarier could've easily been the finale of any other superhero movie, so not withstanding a number of other set pieces, that alone was a huge thing that happened before the finale.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

mumbo is offline Look skyward
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great movie that definitely met my expectations. I thought the action scenes were spectacular and all things considered Whedon did a great job balancing the characters. I mean, to me it seems like Thor and Hulk and, to a slightly lesser extent, Iron Man are the real powerhouses, so it takes some doing to get more human characters like Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye to be useful, but all of them had their roles, all of them had solid screentime, and all of them had shining moments. Maybe the only one who didn't really was Nick Fury. But hey, he's got a lot more chances

I didn't like Ruffalo much as Banner unfortunately. I really missed Norton because he was probably my favorite out of the Marvel movie leads. Ruffalo came off as a tad whiny, which I think is missing the mark with Banner, whereas Norton could have been a bit more brooding and antagonistic. That said, I think the Hulk was more awesome in this movie than he was in his own movie. His comic relief worked perfectly. The scene were he swung Loki around like a ragdoll was my favorite scene in the movie and it got a huge reaction out of the audience I was sitting with. I think he was even stronger and able to leap even farther than the Hulk movie but hey, it's a superhero movie. Go big or go home.

The dialogue was weak at times. Most of the one-liners fell flat, and I think while some of the exchanges between the superheroes were strong, others were just awkward. Then again, I never really liked Stark/Iron Man in the first place. I get that he's sarcastic, but ugh, just turn it off once in a while, buddy. And the arguing got tiresome.

I think I found Captain America the most likeable out of the group. He has a certain innocent charm to him that Evans captured perfectly. And Coulson's man-crush on him was hilarious.

Mid-credits scene was great. Post-credits scene was absolutely brilliant. I'll leave it at that.

For Whedon's first time out I thought he did great. It was clearly a movie crafted by a guy with a real love for the comics. Avengers 2 is in good hands.

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Movie will likely have the top opening box office weekend of all time.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it and loved it! Perfectly balanced script with everyone getting equal screentime (except maybe Hawkeye). Great characterizations all around! Great action! Loved The Hulk! Scarlett was hot! The movie kicked butt!

One question: When Cap and Iron Man were communicating while fixing the Hellicarrier engine seperately, how was it that they were communicating? I know Iron Man, Fury and the SHIELD agents have their communication devices, but I don't recall seeing Cap and Thor given or wearing any earpieces or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklordavaitor View Post
    Er, there's only one writer, and he's also the director- Joss Whedon

Actually I believe there were two writers: Whedon and Zak Penn.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Movie will likely have the top opening box office weekend of all time.
    Well, any film with a five year build-up deserves it. At least it delivered on all the hype. My only minor gripe was the ending with the Stark building obvoiusly refrencing the formation of the soon to be Mansion left the letter "A" on the building. I kinda thought they would cap that with adding a CGI "VENGERS" and fade to black and roll into credits. Oh well.

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are assembled.

Wow.

....What? I got to say more? Okay then.

Wonderful. There's no way I couldn't dislike this. We've come a long way, not just since the first Iron-Man movie, but of all things, the first Blade movie. Comic book movies have been skating uphill for a while now, and they finally beat the odds and made it to the top.

I think what I liked most about the movie is how nearly everyone had a confrontation of some sort with Loki.

Spoiler:
    He was a god, and proved to be pretty strong, but he kept underestimating them, and it came back to bite him every time. Getting outplayed by Widow, getting blasted by Phil and Tony, catching Hawkeye's arrow only for it to blow up in his face, and...

Yeah, the Hulk swinging him around like a ragdoll speaks for itself. Don't try and outtalk this guy. He ain't listening.

Spoiler:
    The death of Phil Coulson was a shock. he was not in every movie, but he felt like such a key character that it's not surprising that his death was something of a catalyst. That final push to get them going since they already knew how crazy things were.

This is the culmination of years of work for Marvel. If DC had their renaissance with the DCAU, then Marvel had reached its Nadir with the Marvel Cinematic universe.

Bravo gentlemen. Bravo.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woah. Saw "The Avengers" today. I think it's safe to say that this is Marvel's "The Dark Knight". As a life long DC Comics, Marvel us really kicking their but in the film industry. Only thing DC got is Nolan's Batman.

Everything was brilliantly plotted, I really liked Loki as the main antagonist, he was very manipulative and overall fun, liked him a lot. But dang it why did he have to kill Coulson?

I thought Captain America was great here too, he's probably my favorite Avenger.

A tad dissapointed at the lack of Hawkeye, he spent most of the movie brainwashed by Loki. Hope they develop him more in Avengers 2.

Hulk stole the show IMO. I loved all his one liners "Puny God", "That's my secret cap, I'm always angry"

Black Widow was pretty BA, it was awesome when she hijacked that alien ship. She also provided the eye candy

On Avengers 2,

Spoiler:
    I think the sequel will obviously be Thanos and the Infinity Gaunlet, really excited by this as Thanos, as he is one of my favorite Marvel Villians. They also seem to be setting up a Civil War with Authorities talking about the Avengers being a threat to civilians.

Anyways, this is the one of the best comic book movies ever made IMO, Encore! Encore! Bring on Avengers 2.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome movie! Not only was this the best comic movie but the best action movie since .... Well ever. The action scenes got better and better as it went peaking at that huge team up at the end and there was plenty of comedy. When Hulk smashed Loki like a rag doll I could barely hear his "puny god" line over the crowds and my own laughing. The only thing I was hoping to see and didn't was Thor and Stark drinking together but hey theres always the sequel.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Wounded_Dragon is offline Beast in the Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If there's any complaint I could have about this movie, it's that Hulk's "sanity" went unexplained. It's like a switch was thrown after the first incident. I guess they just ran out of time to explain it.

I really like how Cap was used. With Iron Man's popularity I was worried that he'd be the leader but even if he's a heavy hitter he deferred to Cap when he needed to at the end.

As soon as possible I'm so getting that shot for my desktop, the one with all the Avengers confronting Loki as he wakes up. Nice framing on that.
    Playing: DC Universe Online(PS3)
    Watching: *Netflix backlog*

At least 15 percent of the moviegoing audience experiences headache and eyestrain during 3-D movies. I'm one of them. And no, I don't need corrective eyewear.

Mek
    Mek is offline Digestive Juices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was an alright movie. Not 'ZOMG THE BEST EVAR!!!!!!!11!~!', and not one of my top 5 favorite films either. Just alright. For the amount of material they had to work with, I thought they did do an admirable job, at least.

My issue was some pacing and plot points, like the Hulk's sudden sanity as mentioned above. Thor felt like he didn't get as much time, but I suppose that's negligible. At least Black Widow and Hawkeye got a substantial amount of development, considering the bit parts they had in previous films.

I'm going to be generous and give it 4 out of 5.
    Tumblr | DeviantArt

All will be well.

Bryangst is offline JERK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded_Dragon View Post
    If there's any complaint I could have about this movie, it's that Hulk's "sanity" went unexplained. It's like a switch was thrown after the first incident. I guess they just ran out of time to explain it.
    From what I understand there will be 30 minutes worth of deleted scenes when it hits DVD and BD. Hopefully there is something in there that will explain his sudden sanity.

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    Actually I believe there were two writers: Whedon and Zak Penn.
    From what I understand, Penn only helped with the story.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast