The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weekend Box Office: Slow weekend before the summer kicks off next week

Like This Thread!
    One week before the summer movie season kicks off, the box office took a little bit of a hit as there wasn’t really anything that got people to show up. Think Like A Man was the number one movie for the second week in a row earning another $18 million bringing it’s total to $60.8 million.

Opening in second place was The Pirates! Band of Misfits with $11.4 million.
    The Lucky One dropped one spot to third with $11.3 million and a $39.9 million total.

Dropping one spot of it’s own was The Hunger Games which came in fourth place with $11.2 million upping it’s incredible total to $372.4 million. Ever so closer to that $400 million mark.

And rounding out the top 5 is and opening is The Five-Year Engagement with $11.1 million.

Also opening this weekend was Safe which came in sixth place with $7.7 million and The Raven which opened in seventh place with $7.2 million.

Out of the top 12 this weekend is Mirror Mirror (13th), Wrath of the Titans (14th), Titanic 3D, and Lockout (16th).

Next weekend is the start of the summer movie season and the one new film that opens is quite a doozy. After five films, a lot of hype, excitement, and constant marketing and advertising, The Avengers (rated PG-13) finally opens! Directed by Joss Whedon it stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Cobie Smulders, Clark Gregg, and Samuel L. Jackson.

The numbers are expected to that of what The Hunger Games brought in it’s opening weekend (roughly around $150 million.) Hunger Games earned $152.5 million in it’s debut.

Overseas where The Avengers has already opened in a number of countries it’s earned $178.4 million!

From BoxOfficeMojo...

The Avengers had its top start in the United Kingdom ($24.7 million), though that only ranks 16th all-time there. In Australia, the movie's $19.7 million is the second-highest opening ever, while its $15.9 million debut in Mexico is a new record. It also set records in Brazil ($11.3 million), Taiwan ($7.7 million), the Philippines ($6.5 million), Hong Kong ($4.6 million) and seven other smaller markets.

While not quite reaching all-time levels, the movie also had very strong starts in South Korea ($12.9 million), France ($12.7 million), Italy ($10.4 million), and Spain ($7.3 million). Oddly, it only opened to $6.7 million in Germany, though looking at past Avengers movie grosses it doesn't appear the Germans are as fond of the team as the rest of the world.

Across the 12 markets where estimates are available, The Avengers opened over twice as high, on average, as Iron Man 2, which currently holds the team's overseas record with $311.5 million (a number The Avengers is going to annihilate within the next few weeks).

The $178.4 million debut ranks ninth on the all-time foreign countries chart, which on the surface might not look all that astounding. However, it reached that level in only 70 percent of its potential theaters, and it has yet to debut in major markets China, Russia, and Japan. Chinese and Russian audiences get the movie with the U.S. this coming weekend, while the Japanese need to wait until August.

Based off this opening, The Avengers could reasonably finish with nearly $600 million overseas, and it could even wind up higher than that.
    Here are your numbers....

1) Think Like A Man- $18,000,000 ($60,868,000)
    2) The Pirates! Band of Misfits- $11,400,000 ($11,400,000) NEW!
    3) The Lucky One- $11,325,000 ($39,927,000)
    4) The Hunger Games- $11,250,000 ($372,455,000)
    5) The Five-Year Engagement- $11,157,000 ($11,157,000) NEW!
    6) Safe- $7,720,000 ($7,720,000) NEW!
    7) The Raven- $7,250,000 ($7,250,000) NEW!
    8) Chimpanzee- $5,460,000 ($19,153,000)
    9) The Three Stooges- $5,400,000 ($37,141,000)
    10) The Cabin in the Woods- $4,500,000 ($34,664,000)
    11) 21 Jump Street- $3,100,000 ($132,038,000)
    12) American Reunion- $3,005,000 ($53,569,000)
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am kind of surprised that Five Year Engagement did so poorly. I thought it was going to be a hit for sure. Also I am glad to see that Pirates! got up to second place. I remember reading on Friday that it was only going to make around $8 million for the weekend.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I did enjoy both Think Like A Man and Safe this weekend, but I know I definitely need to see Avengers and Pirates ASAP!
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7z3tj2.png

A better future for everyone (who loves their animation like family) lies in not invoking this triforce in any way, shape, or form....

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I am kind of surprised that Five Year Engagement did so poorly. I thought it was going to be a hit for sure.
    The ad campaign just made it look so, so boring.

Wow, the Avengers will most likely be one of the biggest box office hits of all time. Very exciting. And who would have thought that Josh Sweetin guy who did that one movie with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry all those years ago would be behind it?
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Well the Avengers should put smiles on the Disney execs faces after the debacle of John Carter.
    I'm still sad about that. The title just ruined it, but the release date didn't help. Sometimes I suspect sabotage on some films, you just have to wonder if unpaid fans see ruin in the future, how is it producers and execs can't? Speaking of The Producers....

dmxx116 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Avengers went off on Friday at the Box Office for the 2nd biggest opening ever:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/aven...hina-openings/
    http://www.myspace.com/miller346 http://foxspideyfansite.yolasite.com/
    Iron Man:TAS fan group:http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...06462196057553
    Batman: I suppose it's useless to tell you to leave.
    Superman: I wouldn't miss this for anything.
    Batman: Your funeral.
    Superman: Already had one.

Tommy Lawson is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmxx116 View Post
    The Avengers went off on Friday at the Box Office for the 2nd biggest opening ever:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/aven...hina-openings/
    Much like the March Mega Millions jackpot that kept going up because so many tickets were sold, The estimate for The Avengers went up once again because so many tickets sold yesterday. It is no longer projected to be the #2 opening weekend in the U.S. According to both Deadline and BoxOffice.com. it is now projected to be the #1 opening weekend ahead of the final Harry Potter movie's opening weekend.