Zorak Masaki is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A trend in Superhero movies I dislike

Like This Thread!
    Why is it that in a lot of recent Superhero films, they make an effort to show the hero unmasked? Im not talking about their civilian identities, im talking about wearing their costume but not the mask. The Spiderman films of course are the worst offender, but films like Captain America do it too. At least the Nolan Batman films havent done this, yet.

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A big part of directing is getting the emotions on a character's face read. When said face is blocked by a mask, it doesn't work. Hence, they try to pull the masks off as often as they can get away with it.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What Peter said, but I also think it's studio suits demanding face time for the leading actors. At least Iron Man came up the whole "seeing things from Tony Stark's POV inside the suit" as an excuse to see Robert Downey Jr,'s face.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What Peter said, but I also think it's studio suits demanding face time for the leading actors. At least Iron Man came up the whole "seeing things from Tony Stark's POV inside the suit" as an excuse to see Robert Downey Jr,'s face.
    It may not be just the studios, but the actors contracts or even the SAG. I know their are a lot of clauses and variables in those union clauses. Like Sam L Jackson did his Fury cameo as a joke for free, kinda like he and Michael Keaton did in OUT of SIGHT. It, I believe, has to do with screentime, or Union rules.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Think about it, they paid millions of bucks to get these guys to star in their movies. You think they're going to settle for scenes where you can't even tell who it is and might as well be a random stuntman in the costume? People go to the movies to see their favorite actors, so the movies will find ways to let you see them.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Aquadementia is online now That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Think about it, they paid millions of bucks to get these guys to star in their movies. You think they're going to settle for scenes where you can't even tell who it is and might as well be a random stuntman in the costume? People go to the movies to see their favorite actors, so the movies will find ways to let you see them.
    How often is it even a stuntman anymore?
    Most of the really cool scenes are digital doppelganger.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Zorak Masaki is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Isnt the selling point of the film the character? I mean, the first Superman film had a relative unknown in Christopher Reeve yet that was succesful. Or for a more recent example, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men. Now, while they werent under masks, its not like people would have rather seen famous actors in those roles, they just wanted to see superman and wolverine on camera.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think by extension, this trend is just as horrible as the hero revealing their secret identity. I mean, this has been happening since the Superman films, and while I can see an excuse for the unmasked trend, there is no excuse for that. Even Nolan's Batman suffered from this, and it looks like Spidey 2.0 will too.

Evo
    Evo is offline Agent of Providence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It sells toys. Just ask my unmasked battle damaged Spider-Man action figure.