Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weekend Box Office: 'Hunger Games' is sated after 4 weeks at top, 'Think Like A Man' takes #1.

Like This Thread!

After four weeks at number one and accumulating incredible numbers, The Hunger Games dropped two spots this weekend to two new movies. Taking the number one spot was Think Like A Man with $33 million!

Debuting in second place was the latest Nicholas Sparks’ adaptation with The Lucky One which garnered $22.8 million for itself.

As mentioned, The Hunger Games dropped two spots after an impressive run with numbers that Harry Potter and the Twilight movies could have hoped to have achieved. Though impressive numbers that they have, still not as impressive as The Hunger Games. In it’s fifth week it earned another $14.5 million and pushing it’s total now up to $356.9 million!

Opening in fourth place was the latest entry in the Disney Nature series with Chimpanzee making $10.2 million for itself.

And rounding out the top 5 is The Three Stooges with $9.2 million and a $29.3 million total.

Out of the top 12 this weekend is Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax (13th) which leaves with $206.7 million on a nice $70 million budget. Also gone is Salmon Fishing in Yemen (14th), The Raid: Redemption (16th).

Opening next weekend before we start the summer movie season are four new movies. First up is The Raven (rated R) starring John Cusack, Luke Evans, Alice Eve, Brendan Gleeson, and Oliver Jackson-Cohen.

Next up is The Five-Year Engagement (rated R) with Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Chris Pratt, Alison Brie, and Rhys Ifans.

Then we have Pirates! Band of Misfits (rated PG) starring the voices of Hugh Grant, David Tennant, Imelda Staunton, Martin Freeman, and Jeremy Piven.

And finally we have Safe (rated R) with Jason Statham, Robert John Burke, Chris Sarandon, Anson Mount, and Catherine Chan.

Here are your numbers…

1) Think Like A Man- $33,000,000 ($33,000,000)
    2) The Lucky One- $22,805,000 ($22,805,000)
    3) The Hunger Games- $14,500,000 ($356,900,000)
    4) Chimpanzee- $10,205,000 ($10,205,000)
    5) The Three Stooges- 9,200,000 ($29,355,000)
    6) The Cabin in the Woods- $7,750,000 ($26,980,000)
    7) American Reunion- $5,200,000 ($48,300,000)
    8) Titanic 3D- $5,000,000 ($52,828,000)
    9) 21 Jump Street- $4,600,000 ($127,066,000)
    10) Mirror Mirror- $4,114,000 ($55,206,000)
    11) Wrath of the Titans- $3,825,000 ($77,136,000)
    12) Lockout- $3,094,000 ($11,063,000)
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am surprised that Chimpanzee did as well as it did. It seemed like the Disneynature movies do poorer and poorer each year.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

NewcomerDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I am surprised that Chimpanzee did as well as it did. It seemed like the Disneynature movies do poorer and poorer each year.
    I'm with you. Not sure what was the appeal about the film. Maybe it was Tim Allen as the narrator. Looks like this week doesn't have any film that will triumph at the top of the Box Office. I think 'Think Like a Man' will be #1 again if it doesn't fall down throughout the week.

I was like everyone else who thought The Avengers would have knocked out The Hunger Games. I'm surprised that The Lucky One did as well as it could considering the hate it received from critics.
    I don't need a signature. I'm too cool for one. LOL

The Talon is offline Ooga Chaka
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewcomerDC View Post
    I'm with you. Not sure what was the appeal about the film. Maybe it was Tim Allen as the narrator. Looks like this week doesn't have any film that will triumph at the top of the Box Office. I think 'Think Like a Man' will be #1 again if it doesn't fall down throughout the week.

I was like everyone else who thought The Avengers would have knocked out The Hunger Games. I'm surprised that The Lucky One did as well as it could considering the hate it received from critics.
    These romantic drama movies always do well, despite the fact that they're usually terrible.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewcomerDC View Post

Are critics really even relevant to box office numbers? Because tons of movies that the critics hate the audience seems to love.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really glad to see The Cabin in the Woods hanging in there. It did good for it"s second week. I am actually surprised more people here aren't talking about it. A great movie that really holds up in repeat viewings, too. Such a great movie that shines a harsh light on the current horror genre (but is also a bit of a love letter too).

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...%28Spoilers%29
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You are missing Pirates Bad of Misfits from your new release list.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution View Post
    You are missing Pirates Bad of Misfits from your new release list.
    Thanks for pointing it out! It's been added.
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Hanshotfirst1138 is online now Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Are critics really even relevant to box office numbers? Because tons of movies that the critics hate the audience seems to love.
    I'd like to think that good buzz can get more esoteric stuff noticed, but obviously they don't listen about blockbusters.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Paying to see, especially in the first weekend, doesn't mean people "love" a movie. It is one of the most annoying things to me when people pay to see movies they KNOW are going to be bad and then complain about them afterward (the Transformers sequels being a prime example) but "don't have the time" to see movies that actually look good.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Hanshotfirst1138 is online now Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution

Paying to see, especially in the first weekend, doesn't mean people "love" a movie. It is one of the most annoying things to me when people pay to see movies they KNOW are going to be bad and then complain about them afterward (the Transformers sequels being a prime example) but "don't have the time" to see movies that actually look good.
    There are people who like those films too. They see them and actually do enjoy them. By no means am I one, but some obviously do. I don't buy into the whole "A noteworthy budget, brand loyalty, and a star automatically get you big box office" theory, but I do agree that just because someone pays to see it doesn't mean they necessarily liked it. Anyway, let's see what records Avengers breaks next week.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

dmxx116 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One week before it the US box office The Avengers is already killing it and break records overseas at the box office:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/marv...early-release/
    http://www.myspace.com/miller346 http://foxspideyfansite.yolasite.com/
    Iron Man:TAS fan group:http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...06462196057553
    Batman: I suppose it's useless to tell you to leave.
    Superman: I wouldn't miss this for anything.
    Batman: Your funeral.
    Superman: Already had one.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmxx116 View Post
    One week before it the US box office The Avengers is already killing it and break records overseas at the box office:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/marv...early-release/
    I'm convinced only on my own free will to see this movie when the time comes, then - that, and Think Like A Man and Pirates! Band of Misfits this weekend... It'll give me something to do IMHO.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).