Quantcast
    the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Possible New Star Trek TV series

Like This Thread!
    It was only a matter of time.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=58286

Existing in this new timeline, what could they possibly do?

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "And I'm sure it would be wisely under JJ Abrams's purview of what happens. He's the guardian of Trek right now."
    That's a scary thought.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

nowlight is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was hoping that when they did do a new series it was be totally new and fresh.

bigddan11 is online now Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just want to point something out real quickly here.

Star Trek- 1966 (3 seasons)- NBC
    Star Trek: The Animated Series- 1973 (2 seasons)- syndication
    Star Trek movies- 1979, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1991
    Star Trek: The Next Generation- 1987 (7 seasons)- syndication
    Star Trek: TNG movies- 1994, 1996, 1998, 2002
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine- 1993 (7 seasons)- syndication
    Star Trek: Voyager- 1995 (7 seasons)- UPN
    Star Trek: Enterprise- 2001 (4 seasons)- UPN
    JJ Abrams Star Trek movies- 2009, 2013

Based on that timeline, we're looking at 2014 being the earliest a new Trek TV series would launch. That would be 9 years after Enterprise left the airways. That's not quite the 14 years that were between The Animated Series and TNG, but it certainly is enough time to where it would be a new generations first exposure to the successful cult series. It also falls in with the form of new Star Trek media being produced roughly 3 to 4 years apart (the longest break was 6 years betweenStar Trek and the Animated Series compared to 5 years between TAS and the 1st Star Trek movie). However I would say they need to go the route of doing syndication TV instead of prepping it for CW since the most successful seasons, not necessarily in terms of episodes but successful in relaunching the franchise and bringing in new fans, have occurred from syndication (Animated Series interest led to the movies, a TNG and DS9 were both syndicated, but their success is what led UPN to pick up Voyager).
    Last edited by bigddan11; 04-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, we're hitting the big five-oh in 2016, right? Maybe it'd be best to conserve our energy for then? As much I as would like to follow a new Star Trek TV series, I want there to be enough of a built up interest that the era doesn't break down too quickly.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigddan11 View Post
    However I would say they need to go the route of doing syndication TV instead of prepping it for CW since the most successful seasons, not necessarily in terms of episodes but successful in relaunching the franchise and bringing in new fans, have occurred from syndication.
    But...outside of Legend of the Seeker, first-run syndication for scripted dramas is a dead market.

Times have changed. They'd be better off airing it on a network (CBS or CW), or even on cable (SyFy).
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 11/21 - BanzaiCon 2014 Report)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

bigddan11 is online now Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    But...outside of Legend of the Seeker, first-run syndication for scripted dramas is a dead market.

Times have changed. They'd be better off airing it on a network (CBS or CW), or even on cable (SyFy).
    You need to remember who owns the rights to produce Star Trek TV series, and that's CBS Paramount. They'd also get first rights to any new series, but there's no way that CBS would put it on CBS, and CW wouldn't be much better than UPN. I blame UPN for making them produce two series simultaneously (DS9 and Voyager) as one of the reasons Star Trek needed to be pulled off TV for a while, so I'd hate for it to be on CW.

While it's true that most syndication is dead, it's important to remember that doing a broadcast via syndication is actually better off for you in terms of financing than doing a regular network. You have multiple local stations that will get into bidding wars for the rights for a big name series like Star Trek that would be beneficial to you. I'd also like to point out that it really was TNG that led to the last era of syndication that prospered and included properties like Hercules: The Legendary Journey and Xena: Warrior Princess.

And honestly, Star Trek has never been better off on any cable network like Syfy, than it was in syndication or via UPN. The only cable group that treated Star Trek right was Spike TV (which I believe has now lost the rights to Syfy). The only cable group I'd probably watch a new Star Trek series on would be TNT. I don't see it happening, but it would be a perfect fit next to Falling Skies (though it would be much longer season wise and probably tell the story a lot better than Falling Skies has).
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not expecting another Star Trek series on TV until after the third JJ Abrams movie at the earliest, myself. Let it build up some hype and interest.

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24
    That's a scary thought.
    Well, he made it back into a cash cow, so he's probably the one in charge of things at the moment.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death