Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2012 MLB Season Talkback

Like This Thread!

I noticed one hasn't been made yet, so here is the talkback thread for the season, playoffs and World Series.

My team, the Washington Nationals, is off a to fast start this year. Currently, they're 9-3 on the season and at the top of the NL East standings.

Edit: Now they're 10-3 after coming back to beat the Astros, 3-2.

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post

I noticed one hasn't been made yet, so here is the talkback thread for the season, playoffs and World Series.

My team, the Washington Nationals, is off a to fast start this year. Currently, they're 9-3 on the season and at the top of the NL East standings.
    I hadn't made one solely because the All Star Game last year was discussed on Page 2. There didn't seem much purpose for me to come on each day and brag about how good my Rangers are when nobody else was discussing the season.

Speaking of the Rangers, I'd like to see where all those fans that said they couldn't beat the Angels are right now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Teams that usually buy up the best talent typically lose chemistry together. It has proven true for the Yankees the past few years, and right now it is proving true for the Angels (who are worst in the division). Look at what Texas has done this season.

Chicago White Sox at Texas Rangers
    April 6- TEXAS 3, Chicago 2
    April 7- Chicago 4, TEXAS 3
    April 8- TEXAS 5, Chicago 0

Seattle Mariners at Texas Rangers
    April 9- TEXAS 11, Seattle 5
    April 10- TEXAS 1, Seattle 0
    April 11- Seattle 4, TEXAS 3
    April 12- TEXAS 5, Seattle 3

Texas Rangers at Minnesota Twins
    April 13- TEXAS 4, Minnesota 1
    April 14- TEXAS 6, Minnesota 2
    April 15- TEXAS 4, Minnesota 3
    (First ever series win for Texas at Target Field. In fact Texas was 1-11 at Target Field going into this season. Texas swept the Twins in their only appearance to Target Field this year.)

Texas Rangers at Boston Red Sox
    April 17- TEXAS 18, Boston 3
    April 18- TEXAS 6, Boston 3

Texas has the best starting pitching ERA in the Majors at the moment. They also have the best relief pitching ERA. Josh Hamilton is leading the majors in OBP, and Mike Napoli and Josh Hamilton are both in the Top 10 in home runs (from the 4 and 7 spots most of the time).

Look at how dangerous the Rangers bullpen is. Alexi Ogando, Scott Feldman, Mark Lowe, and Mike Adams, 4 former starters, are anchors for a bullpen that closes with Joe Nathan. The Rangers might not have a true #1 starter, but what they do have is a group that outside of one bad game (Darvish's first start) hasn't given up more than 3 runs in a game. Colby Lewis, Derek Holland, Matt Harrison, Yu Darvish, and Neftali Feliz have been killer bees with their consistent solid pitching. Over 28 innings of work, the Rangers bullpen has only given up 2 walks. I realize it's early and that there will be some injuries that happen, but right now Texas truly looks like the best team in the entire Major League. I not only expect them to win their 3rd consecutive AL pennant, but at the moment I fully expect them to win the World Series (if they continue to play this way).
    Last edited by bigddan11; 04-18-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Forigve the pun, but the hits just keep on coming for the Texas Rangers. In a match-up of the top 2 teams (at the moment) in the AL, Texas got a 1-0 lead after one inning, increased it to 2-0 in the second with Napoli's fifth homer in four games time (tying Hamilton for the club lead with 5), and Texas never looked back. The closest Detroit managed to get was 2-1. Texas went on to win 10-3 and improve Yu Darvish to 2-0. And the said thing is that while Texas is putting up huge numbers, the number of people left on base is still larger. Texas had 10 runs on 18 hits, but they stranded 18 people on base tonight. On Tuesday they had 18 runs on 21 hits, yet they stranded 15 people on base Tuesday night. Through the season to date, the lowest number of people left on base for Texas has been 8. Imagine how bad these scores would be if Texas was knocking in even half of the people left on base.

(11-2) Texas Rangers 10/18/1
    (9-4) Detroit Tigers 3/5/2
    Texas's only series to Detroit this year resumes tomorrow night at 6 PM on TXA21 (and accompanying affiliates- locally it's on MyTV16), Fox Sports Detroit+ (the Tigers get preempted for the Red Wings tomorrow on FS Detroit), and on MLB.TV.

College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

HUBTigers87 is offline Sign Holder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    We've been in a slump for runs for days now, it was lucky to get a sweep over the Royals who are always a pesky team. No offense, but we had the defense played just enough to keep them just behind us... glad we had it, because I knew of the challenge(s) that were coming.

if we can't take 3/4 which I don't expect, I'd hope to at least split w/ Texas. I'd say to get that split though, we'll want to win today. JV pitches tomorrow, I think he'll be fine, but I really hope Leyland doesn't let him go complete this time, even if he's healthy enough for it. Sunday we're opposed by Colby Lewis, where I expect a slow day for my club in the runs department.

On a side note, it's too bad we were on FS Detroit+ last night, for the beyond-going-nowhere Pistons. Still early in the season for broadcasts on the regular, but not even I would want to watch the Pistons, who ended up losing, again ~ (just glad we're not Charlotte, though)

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Braves are on a roll since starting 0-4, winning eight of their last nine. The bats have come alive and the pitching staff has been going strong.

Chipper Jones also announced he'll be retiring at the end of the season (not gonna lie, I teared up listening to that press conference during spring training; he's been my favorite player since I was little.)

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    LJ | FF.N | AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Philip Humber pitched a perfect game today which was the 21st in ML history and 3rd for a White Sox although looks like there will be some controversy on the last out.

Also the Yankees came back from being down 9 runs in the 6th to win 15-9 vs the Red Sox who continue to have the worst pitching staff in MLB.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The KC Royals are having problems of their own. Today they play their 9th home game of the season, and try to win their first at home! Toronto puts Ricky Romero on the mound. KC sends out Danny Duffy to try and end their 9G losing streak, which continued a franchise worst home start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did mean to say congratulations to the Detroit Tigers for handing the Texas Rangers their first road loss of the year and for slowing the Rangers scoring to back beneath 5 runs. However it took a lot of luck (as in one bad inning from Neftali Feliz) for them to be able to win just one game in the series. It would have been more impressive if not for the stat I heard on the radio broadcast. Texas is now 0-9 in their history in day/night double headers. They've never won a night game in their franchise history when they have day-night double headers. Josh Hamilton continues to remain on fire. After last year where he struggled in day games, he is hitting nearly .500 in day games this year and has 3 homers. At 13-3, Texas is tied for the best record in the majors, and I'd hate to be the Yankees these next few nights.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON
    (12-2) Texas Rangers 10/17/0
    (9-5) Detroit Tigers 4/8/1
    WP- Matt Harrison (3-0)
    LP- Rick Porcello (1-1)
    HR- TEX: Josh Hamilton (6), Mike Napoli (6); DET: Austin Jackson (3), Miguel Cabrera (4)

SATURDAY EVENING (Makeup of Fridays PPD rainout)
    (12-3) Texas Rangers 2/7/0
    (10-5) Detroit Tigers 3/3/0
    WP- Justin Verlander (2-1)
    LP- Neftali Feliz (1-1)
    SV- Jose Valverde (4)
    HR- None

SUNDAY AFTERNOON
    (13-3) Texas Rangers 3/9/0
    (10-6) Detroit Tigers 2/8/2
    11 innings
    WP- Robbie Ross (3-0)
    LP- Thad Weber (0-2)
    S- Joe Nathan (4)
    HR- TEX: Josh Hamilton (7); DET: Brennan Boesch (2)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigddan11 View Post
    Texas is now 0-9 in their history in day/night double headers. They've never won a night game in their franchise history when they have day-night double headers.
    August 22nd, 2007 -- Rangers and O's played 2 games that day (in Baltimore). Rangers won the first one 30-3, yes, "30"-3. After the O's had their 3 first.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=200708221BAL

They then played later, Rangers won that one, too -- only 9-7 that time
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=200708222BAL

In other news. Jays sweep the Royals at KC. Royals fall to 0-10 in their first home stand of the season. Record stands at 3-13. Possibly happy to get away from home, Royals begin a 3-city ALC rivalry tour, swinging by Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit.
    Last edited by HUBTigers87; 04-23-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: wording

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HUBTigers87 View Post
    August 22nd, 2007 -- Rangers and O's played 2 games that day (in Baltimore). Rangers won the first one 30-3, yes, "30"-3. After the O's had their 3 first.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=200708221BAL

They then played later, Rangers won that one, too -- only 9-7 that time
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=200708222BAL

In other news. Jays sweep the Royals at KC. Royals fall to 0-10 in their first home stand of the season. Record stands at 3-13. Possibly happy to get away from home, Royals begin a 3-city ALC rivalry tour, swinging by Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit.
    HUBTigers, I think you missed the point completely. The game you are referring to was 2 afternoon games, the firts being at 12 PM and the second being at 4:30 PM (though it was actually scheduled to start at 3:30 PM but was pushed back 1 hour because of the 33 runs in the first game). It was not a day/night doubleheader. They were scheduled to start 30 minutes apart.

I probably didn't mention this also, but when they gave that stat, they were referring only to games that became day/night doubleheaders because of rainouts. The Rangers are winless in day/night doubleheaders when they play them as makeup games for rainouts.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast