Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RIP Dick Clark, 1929 - 2012

Like This Thread!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=16076252

Ever since he had his stroke, it seemed like one of those things that would be inevitable, but just seemed like it would never come to pass. I remember plenty of New Years Eves with seeing him counting down and it just came to be expected. He will be missed.

Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    R.I.P Dick and thanks for the good musical moments you gived with American Bandstand.

ShadowGUN is offline Hey listen!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sad . I always like watching him during Bloopers shows and New Years Eves. It was never the same after he left the NYE and now they never will. R.I.P Dick you will be missed.
    "Toonami:Tougher than the Best,Stronger than the Rest."

TOONAMI LIVES (5/26/12)

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dick was one of a kind, and is irreplaceable.

Case in point: Ryan Seacrest.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Matthew Williams is offline Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, it does, because while everyone - justifiably - is marking his tenure on American Bandstand and New Year's Rockin' Eve, it's The $25,000 Pyramid I'll always associate him with. That's important because I honestly believe that Dick Clark was the greatest game show host ever. It doesn't hurt that he hosted what I think is the best or second best game show of all time (it's either this or Jeopardy), but it was more than the format.

If you watch Pyramid, I don't think there's any other host who's gotten as - well, involved in a show. A lot of hosts seem detached somehow from the game itself - Bob Barker, as great as he is, is the first one that comes to mind - but not Dick Clark. He'd give strategies. He'd tell the contestants what state of mind they should be in. If a contestant was stuck on a clue, he'd pass it for them. When it was one clue left with ten seconds to go, he'd shout "Hurry!" If a contestant didn't get to the top of the Pyramid, he'd be the first one to waltz over with the perfect clue (although I'm sure he was getting hints from the producers, he didn't show it). You got the sense that he didn't just love hosting the show, he loved the game itself, and if he was on the other side of the podium he'd blitz the main game and get the money in record time - and on the version hosted by Bill Cullen, he did exactly that.

Aside from that, he just made everything look so smooth, so effortless. He kept the proceedings lively and breezy, handling humorous events with aplomb - like when Bill Shatner blew the final clue and tossed his chair out of the winner's circle. Or a $100,000 tournament that lasted over a month. His delivery was peerless - "These are things associated with a letter.... things, associated with a letter." And of course, when he set up the centerpiece of the show - the Winner's Circle, aka the actual Pyramid - he made it electrifying. "For one hundred thousand dollars. Here is your first subject. GO!"

He was probably the best host of all time on the best game show of all time. Yes, Bandstand and New Year's Rockin' Eve are more important but his work on Pyramid is just as awesome and just as important.

Oh, and he probably had the best signoff too. "Dick Clark, so long." And the salute. Heh, I've been using the salute to greet people for the lonnnngest time. Yeah, you can say his work rubbed off on me.
    Matthew Williams, from the Cartoon Universe
    A column where animation is the starting point - every week at the toonzone blog.
    Column Archive | Cartoon Universe Twitter | Cartoon Universe on Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda;3991838

[IMG
    http://i.imgur.com/AhRJ3.png[/IMG]

Would you get rid of that picture please?

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bummer. Dick Clark will be missed. Him and his voice.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Zen Man is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I forgot just how influential Dick Clark really was; whether it was music or televsion. He lived a long and fullfilled life.

May he rest in peace.

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    [possibly tasteless joke] Wait, you mean Dick Clark won't be around to bring us into the new Year for 2013? What, is the world ending? *Looks at Mayan Prophecy* Okay, now that finally has some actual backing. [/possibly tasteless joke]

Seriously though this is an incredibly big loss. And though admittingly I never watched much of Bandstand or even the 25,000$ Pyramid I still knew of them as well as Dick's other big works like year the New Years Eve Special which has been a staple for me growing up and now it will feel a bit emptier trying to celebrate the new year. Of course besides Dick this hurts far worse for those who were really close to him so I give them all my condolances and they can truly make peace with his passing. And hey maybe now he'll just move his Rocking New Years Party, Bandstand and even 25,000$ Pyrmaid up to heaven. He's certainly earned his spot in there.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He lived a long life though. Into the new millenium and beyond.

RIP Dick Clark. We'll celebrate 2013 in your memory.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A sad day for America. Clark was an cultural staple for many generations. It seemed that he was always there, ready to celebrate the good times. He will be missed.

Requiescat in pace.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Viper is offline I'll Never Forget You Two!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just found this out a few moments ago. It's so sad that the host of American Bandstand & Pyramid has died.

He was definately one of the best hosts around.

I wonder if anyone remembers his appearance on The New Soupy Sales Show when he did a not-too-bad Pyramid sketch. I still remember seeing it when I was only 6 back in 1978.

I still hate Joan Rivers to this day for making an anti-Christian joke about his stroke when I saw her in Atlantic City a few years ago. I almost cried when he looked like a vegetable at the Daytime Emmys 2 years ago.

I will admit, he was pretty good on a Pinky & The Brain episode.

Dick Clark, I shall never forget you. "hangs head in a moment of silence for the terrific Pyramid host"
    Best Kim Possible Dialogue:
    Kim(to Ron): You're weird.
    Ron(embarrassed) Kim.
    Kim: Shhh. I like weird.

Most Memorable Winx Club Dialogue:
    Dark Bloom: Why don't you fight?! Or is it because I'm more powerful than the five of you combined?!

Flora(furious at the Trix for hurting Rose): SHE WAS MY SISTER!!!!!

GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Goodbye to a true American icon. RIP, "America's Oldest Teen".

dmxx116 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dick Clark also guest star in the first season two parter in Fantastic Four part of The Marvel Action Hour.

R.I.P Dick Clark.

http://www.myspace.com/miller346 http://foxspideyfansite.yolasite.com/
    Iron Man:TAS fan group:http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...06462196057553
    Batman: I suppose it's useless to tell you to leave.
    Superman: I wouldn't miss this for anything.
    Batman: Your funeral.
    Superman: Already had one.

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh man, what a loss. New Years is just never going to be the same again. Rest in peace Dick.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is really sad news. I'm only familiar with Dick Clark from hosting New Year's Eve in New York, but that's still a bunch of memories of watching him for years. Celebrating New Year's Eve this year will feel weird without him. I hope that he is at peace and that his family and friends are getting through this emotionally difficult time.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indeed, this is sad news. I was initially suprised when I saw this on My computer. Every New Years I always enjoy Dick Clark's rockin'eve. Good times, good times...

Ryan Seacrest's Rockin Eve 2013....RIP Dick Clark.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

BartWinkle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    R.I.P. to Mr. Bandstand and Mr. Pyramid. You'll be missed.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it wierd that I remember him more for "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes" more than anything else? Him along with Ed McMahon, those were hilarious back in the 80's. I think "America's Funniest Home Videos" kind of took the place of that show though...