Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Expanding Star Trek Canon?

Like This Thread!

With the creation of the "Alternate Reality" and the various Trek works that Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have had their hands into, should Star Trek canon be expanded? Also, are there other Trek works that you think should be up for canonical consideration if CBS and Paramount were to liberalize the current canonical definition?

Personally, I'm in favor of an expansion. I would include works like Star Trek: Countdown, Star Trek: Nero, etc. I would even support the inclusion of the fan film Star Trek: Of Gods and Men and at least two episodes of the fan series Star Trek: Phase II, if not the whole series because of Walter Koenig, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, etc. playing their original characters. I would also support the inclusion of animated adaptions of some of the novels, comics, or video games into the canon, as well as Star Trek: The Animated Series which right now has more of a semi-canonical status.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really don't see any reason they should. 'Canon' is a fun, if silly, notion consistently given more importance then it deserves. People ought to read (or write) the stories they want to write and put it out there without having to worry about whether or not it fits into some sort of puzzle. There's no need for some badge of artificial importance like 'canon'.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    I really don't see any reason they should. 'Canon' is a fun, if silly, notion consistently given more importance then it deserves. People ought to read (or write) the stories they want to write and put it out there without having to worry about whether or not it fits into some sort of puzzle. There's no need for some badge of artificial importance like 'canon'.
    I agree with you that canon is certainly fun, but otherwise I think it wise for there to be some standard of consistency within fictional series. Also, canon, while it can shackle creativity, can, on the other hand, encourage creative solutions of how to work within and around established precedents thereby, in some cases, creating great pieces of art.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeroyuy_Batman View Post
    I agree with you that canon is certainly fun, but otherwise I think it wise for there to be some standard of consistency within fictional series. Also, canon, while it can shackle creativity, can, on the other hand, encourage creative solutions of how to work within and around established precedents thereby, in some cases, creating great pieces of art.
    I agree that canon can work as a tool, but giving fan productions, official novels, or other official products some sort of 'canon status within the on-screen 'canon' isn't going to change anything. People will still read (and write) the stories they enjoy nonetheless. If further on-screen productions ever want to reference those things they can, but there's no real need or reason to change things as they stand.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I say why not. You already have some of the Star Trek people that say the books are canon and others that say they aren't canon, so why not silence all the critics and make it where they are canon that occurred in an alternate timeline/ universe. After all, there could be more than just the one other timeline.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the point is moot cause Paramount will not allow but so much to be considered canon. The books with Captain April don't exist in exist in canon Trek outside the animated series. I think this new reboot universe can be used well if done correctly. Though if the timeline is correct, this next film just skips stardates from before season in the first film to season two or three of the series, thanks to the tribbles.

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've always had the feeling that tie-in stuff like comics and novels should have a "It's official if you want it to be" status in terms of canon, and that's how it should be with Star Trek.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've always had the feeling that tie-in stuff like comics and novels should have a "It's official if you want it to be" status in terms of canon, and that's how it should be with Star Trek.
    Ironically, it very much is that way with Star Trek. However George Lucas oversees and includes novels and comics into the shared Star Wars universe.

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have said this many a time, I will say it again: inside your head, canon can be whatever makes you happy. If there's a novel or a comic or something you really love, by all means, make it canon to yourself. What George Lucas and Rick Berman think doesn't matter when you're inside your own head. Now, with regards to the question, I think the Star Trek franchise as many fans have come to know it is pretty much dead outside of EU after Enterprise. The obvious focus is one the Abrams trilogy since it's where the huge bucks are for Paramount now. Love it or hate it (and I have mixed feelings), but Abrams has brought the franchise back to life and as long as it continues to be as successful as the first film was (and it's very likely to be), he's in the driver's seat right now.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death