4 44.44%
  • Titanic (TV 2012)

0 0%
    A.Magik is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Favorite TITANIC film?

Like This Thread!
    One Hundred Years Ago, on April 14-15, 1912, His Majesty's Ship Titanic struck an iceberg and sank, drowning more than half of its crew and passengers of all three classes. The maritime disaster has been documented into books and films. Now, this thread will not include films that are not available on VHS and DVD (sorry, fans of 1929's Atlantic), and will avoid shows and films where the disaster makes a presence that is minor to the whole package (Therefore, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, BBC's Upstairs Downstairs and Downtown Abbey will not be included).

Titanic (1943) A Nazi-produced film (the director got arrested and pressured into suicide for making insults to the Regime) that is Pro-German and anti-English.

Titanic (1953) Hollywood's first major film on the subject (won an academy award for its screenplay), with several fictional stories (Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck as an estranged couple) among the real figures like Molly Brown (Thelma Ritter). BTW, the fact that the ship ripped in half in its sinking was not yet officially confirmed, so this film and several follow-ups portray the ship sinking whole.

A Night to Remember (1958) British-produced docudrama that is widely considered the best Titanic film (or at least a serious rival to Cameron's film). Stars Kenneth More as Lightoller, Laurence Naismith as Captain Smith, David Lawton as Ismay, and Honor Blackman and David MacCallum. Uses footage from the Nazi film.

S.O.S. Titanic (1979) TV-movie that uses footage from ANtR. Stars David Janssen as Astor, Ian Holm as Ismay, Helen Mirren a stewardess, Cloris Leachman as Molly Brown, and David Warner & Susan Saint James as a fictional would-be couple.

Titanic (1996) Two-part TV miniseries made to cash-in on Cameron's future effort. George C. Scott as Captain Smith, Marilu Henner as Molly Brown, Catherine Zeta Jones and Peter Gallagher as an adulterous couple, and Tim Curry as a baddie. Probably the first film version to portray the ship ripping apart.

Titanic (1997) James Cameron's expensive/Box office smash/11-Oscar winner starring Leo and Kate. Nuff said.

Titanic (2012) Four-part BBC-TV production.

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forgot The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which is based off of the book and Broadway musical that focuses on Brown and starred Debbie Reynolds in an Oscar-nominated turn.
    My blog! Currently reviewing every How I Met Your Mother episode, as well as the odd album review or two

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    .....Is this even a contest?
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Of course it is. A lot of people don't even like the Cameron one. I think it's fine, but it's not the earth-shattering Titanic feature to me.

I think it's not a good idea to exclude those movies you mentioned, but your thread so whatever.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

A.Magik is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, Titanic figures briefly in Unsinkable Molly Brown, so I don't think it counts.

And although Upstairs Downstairs and Downtown Abbey are dramatically effected by the disaster, they are more on the aftermath rather than the event.

And aside from Atlantic, I think I've pretty much covered all the major film versions.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You forgot The Legend Lives On.
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wot? No Rise the Titanic?

Seriously though... A Night to Remember. Even though Jim Camtanic is the only 100% historically accurate depiction of the actual sinking, so much that James Cameron recently went back and fixed the star constellations to accurately match what was visible on April 14, 1912, its just the better movie.

The Man in Black is online now I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Clearly the best was one of those animated films the Nostalgia Critic reviewed. Maybe the one with the rapping dog.