Two word review: Matt Bomer.
Okay, fine. I haven't looked forward to an episode of Glee this much in... probably ever. I adore everything about Matt Bomer and Darren Criss is really the only thing keeping me watching Glee, so the combination seemed beyond perfect.
Naturally, I was terrified they'd find some way to mess up the potential of the brothers Anderson.
So color me shocked when they didn't. I'm still giggling like mad the day after. I adore Bomer on White Collar (as well as what I've seen in working my way through early Chuck). He's got some mad dramatic chops. But this episode just made him even more flawless--as if that were possible--by showcasing his incredible knack for comedy and a gorgeous singing voice (which we've heard a couple of snippets of in White Collar). Now I just really hope to see some pointing and yelling of lines next season on White Collar when Neal is feeling INTENSE! Because he's an INTENSE actor!
The Duran Duran mashup was a lot of fun, if far too overproduced for the choir room (which is nothing new, but it was really noticeable). I loved the boy band choreography and the moments of brotherly competition, like Cooper shoving Blaine toward the chairs and Blaine jumping on the piano after Cooper had gotten on a chair. "Standing O. I was really great in that number." *cue mad giggling*
The scene in Breadstix with the accent was fabulous. It's moments like these that make me think Cooper would be the worst character ever with a lesser actor (Coach Roz/Nene Leakes, I'm looking at you) but Bomer owns it.
The master class had me in in stitches, tears rolling down my face from laughter, whole nine yards. "Things are serious. A man in a dress is dead!" "I'm sorry, were you talking to me? Because I can't tell if you're talking to me if you don't point your finger."
I like Darren Criss' rendition of "Fighter" vocally, but despite a yummy shower scene, that was such an awkwardly staged performance (though I will never say no to a giant wall broadcasting Matt Bomer).
The AnderBros "Somebody That I Used to Know" duet is probably my favorite Glee performance of all time. I really, really liked how it was staged. And the scene after, I just kept waiting for it to somehow fall flat and then it didn't. We got a little heartfelt moment before the appropriate teasing and bonding. "I can tell you're serious because you weren't pointing your finger at me or speaking really loudly to be intense." "Hold on a sec, I want to remember this emotion so I can use it in a scene someday." *flail*
Favorite line of the night: “If Alan Menken isn’t personally writing you a fairytale musical at this very second, I will hunt him down and beat him senseless with a cudgel, because you, sir, are a Disney prince.” Truer words have never been spoken, Sue. Truer words.
I've mostly ignored the non-AnderBros parts of this episode because, well, they were typical Glee and exactly why I find the show so infuriating 98 percent of the time. The other 2 percent comes from the rare moments like every time Cooper Anderson was on screen.
Oh, and if you missed Cooper Anderson's audition tape for Transformers, your life is incomplete.