Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Aquadementia is online now Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Most of interest to me: I had expected the Mouser and Ivrian to be the couple whose relationship was more dysfunctional, but it appears that Fafhrd and Vlana's relationship has already proven to be disasterous. Vlana appears to be borderline psychotic, while Fafhrd's come to regret agreeing to join her in what he now realizes is a suicide pact. Just goes to show, if you're going to die for a "worthy" cause, you better believe in that cause. I'm not sure that Vlana understands what her hatred is leading towards. Fafhrd does, but being called a coward was the last straw.
    There might be lots of reasons to hate the thieves guild but Vlana is a bit nuts expecting to kill every member they meet.

I suppose as it turns out it wasn’t Vlana’s grudge against the guild that proved to be their downfall but the consequences of interfering with them with the thievery at that took place at the start.
    Totally sucks for Ivrian. The happiest time of her life was being secluded in an attic. Since this is a prequel I guess they had to be gotten rid of in some way.
    And the murder of the boy looked like setting up something with Fafhrd’s future psychological problems. I guess it was almost comedic in that he was whipped up in a blind rage, ready to meet insurmountable opposition only for it to shrink away. Instead of fighting dozens of brave warriors like you would expect in this kind of book the only target he makes contact with is harmless, resulting in a completely needless death.

While they were in the guild it was eerie and dangerous and fun.
    They should have been worried when they saw Hristomilo working his dark magic. At least Mouser should have realized the girls were in trouble.
    In the end the story paid off with a deadly combat against an evil wizard and his unholy minions.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I finished "Ill Met In Lankhmar" in the middle of last week, but am just now getting around to commenting on it (sorry).

The last half of this story was pure excellence, and I fully agree it was worthy of the Nebula award! I love a good bluffing scene, and Fafhrd and the Mouser pretending to be beggars, that was awesome! The only one not fully buying it was Krovas, but even he was intrigued up to a certain point. Follow that with the "great escape" scene, and then the horror of arriving back home to find the bodies of their loved ones, and the counter attack?!? This was enjoyable. It's still somewhat darker and more random than the "Conan the Barbarian" stuff, but I'm getting used to the tone of the stories now. Sorry if I keep on comparing it to "Conan", but "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" and "Conan" are the only two pure "Sword and Sorcery" fantasy series that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquadementia
    And the murder of the boy looked like setting up something with Fafhrd’s future psychological problems. I guess it was almost comedic in that he was whipped up in a blind rage, ready to meet insurmountable opposition only for it to shrink away. Instead of fighting dozens of brave warriors like you would expect in this kind of book the only target he makes contact with is harmless, resulting in a completely needless death.
    That's the type of "darkness" and "randomness" I was aluding to above. I somehow doubt it'll have longterm bearing on their journey together, but it does add to the story here. In the midst of their blind rage, Fafhrd was reduced to what Vlana wanted all along - someone to slaughter every member of the guild they come into contact with. Too bad that ends up resulting in a kid's death. But there's no one truly innocent in this story....at least Fafhrd felt remorse when the rage had passed, and their flight from the city at the end shows the duo has no more interest in long term vengeance. Vlana's plans have come to ruin, and now it's time for Fafhrd to chart his own course alongside a new partner (and unlike with Vlana, these two are equals).

Good stuff, all around. I would be perfectly fine with adding the next book "Swords Against Death", to our list of nominations.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, I got a chance tor read The Unholy Grail, but didn't get a chance to comment before real life issues got in the way.

I don't really find the Sword and socery genre to be very interesting - basically it's feels like a gritter, masculine High Fantasy that doesn't leave much room for variation. I only got into Conan only because it had links to the Chtulhu Mythos! And while I was astonished that Conan was no mere brute, the genre isn't enticing.

But reading The Unholy Grail, I was instantly sucked in. Leiber has a way with words that makes the most generic settings feel alive. The intensty Mouser feels and the misery Ivrian lives is communicated in such wonderous prose. I came to care for the characters quickly.

The most interesting thing about the short tale is how Moiser seems to transcend his plight. At the hieght of his probles, he somehow becomes above everything! It's difficult to communicate, but Leiber manages to capture such exaultation and mystery of Mouser's experiences.

Overall, an enjoyable tale.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2