Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Easter Weekend Box Office: 'Hunger Games' finds the most eggs this weekend!

Like This Thread!

For a third straight weekend The Hunger Games was the number one movie earning another $33.5 million. In three weeks now, The Hunger Games has reached the $300 million mark with a total of $302.8 million!

Debuting in second place was American Reunion with $21.5 million. To compare, the last film in the franchise to open in theaters was American Wedding which opened in August of 2003 to $33.3 million. ‘Reunion’ had a budget of $50 million.

Opening in third place was Titanic 3D with $17.3 million and a $25.7 million total since opening on Wednesday.

In fourth place was Wrath of the Titans with $15 million and a $58.8 million total.

And rounding out the top 5 is Mirror Mirror with $11 million and a $36.4 million total.

Out of the top 12 is Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (13th), A Thousand Words (14th), and Project X (17th).

Opening next weekend are three new movies. First up is Joss Whedon’s long delayed Cabin in the Woods (rated R) starring Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, and Bradley Whitford.

Up next is Lockout (rated PG-13) with Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare, Lennie James, Vincent Regan, Tim Plester, Anne-Solenne Hatte, Yan Dron, Patrick Cauderlier, Milorad Kapor, Bojan Peric, and Mark Tankersley.

And finally we have The Three Stooges (rated PG). Written and directed by the Farrelly Brothers it stars Chris Diamantopoulos, Will Sasso, Sean Hayes, Jane Lynch, Larry David, Stephen Collins, Sofia Vergara, and Jennifer Hudson.

Here are your numbers….

1) The Hunger Games- $33,500,000 ($302,839,000)
    2) American Reunion- $21,500,000 ($21,500,000) NEW!
    3) Titanic 3D- $17,350,000 ($25,710,000) NEW!
    4) Wrath of the Titans- $15,010,000 ($58,899,000)
    5) Mirror Mirror- $11,000,000 ($36,473,000)
    6) 21 Jump Street- $10,200,000 ($109,577,000)
    7) Dr. Seuss‘ The Lorax- $5,000,000 ($198,200,000)
    8) Salmon Fishing in Yemen- $975,000 ($4,639,000)
    9) John Carter- $820,000 ($67,973,000)
    10 Safe House- $581,000 ($124,751,000)
    11) The Raid: Redemption- $565,000 ($1,288,000)
    12) Act of Valor- $536,000 ($68,754,000)
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its official... Hunger Games has dethroned Twilight.

...and it only took three weeks (by comparison Eclipse, the only Twilight to crack 300M did it in 9).

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The new Three Stooges movie looks surprisingly great, but I'm sure it'll get beaten down by Hunger Games for yet another week.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To have a little fun here for comparison....

Twilight- $192.7 million
    Twilight: New Moon- $296.6 million
    Twilight: Eclipse- $300.5 million
    Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 1- $281.2 million

The Hunger Games (first movie in a proposed three movie franchise)- $302.8 million and it's only in it's third week. That's absolutely fantastic.

Like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 being the movie in the whole franchise that made the most because it was the conclusion ($381 million), I wonder if Breaking Dawn Part 2 won't be the one in the 'Twilight' franchise to be the most successful. If Part 1 is at $281.2 million, I can easily seeing Part 2 going well over $300 million.

Heck, at this rate The Hunger Games is going to sail past Deathly Hallows Part 2 here very shortly. Crazy.
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

The Talon is online now Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PC! View Post
    The new Three Stooges movie looks surprisingly great, but I'm sure it'll get beaten down by Hunger Games for yet another week.

The Three Stooges movie looks awful. The cast of Jersey Shore is supposed to be involved in the damn thing.

Anyways, congrats to the Hunger Games for another smashing week.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Talon View Post

The Three Stooges movie looks awful. The cast of Jersey Shore is supposed to be involved in the damn thing.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "great" but it at least looks okay to me.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hunger Games beat the noise out of each and every Twilight film... There is STILL justice in the world!!!

And I am glad to this day to have participated in helping fight for it...
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

The Talon is online now Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAnarchist View Post
    Hunger Games beat the noise out of each and every Twilight film... There is STILL justice in the world!!!

And I am glad to this day to have participated in helping fight for it...
    I participated as well. Hell, I saw it twice!

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Its official... Hunger Games has dethroned Twilight.

...and it only took three weeks (by comparison Eclipse, the only Twilight to crack 300M did it in 9).
    Naturally....it has a wider range of appeal than Twilight did.

American Reunion will make back its budget, but it'll take a few weeks. What exactly is in that film that's worth $50 million? It's not the actors....
    ...except Willow....
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Hanshotfirst1138 is online now Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DIE 3-D! DIE! Damn you Titanic for resusitating it!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post

American Reunion will make back its budget, but it'll take a few weeks. What exactly is in that film that's worth $50 million? It's not the actors....
    ...except Willow....
    Suvari is and Oscar winner, getting the whole cast back together at the same time and coordinating everyone's schedules, even when many of them aren't big stars anymore, can't have been cheap.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Poweranimals is offline Invincible
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What is everyone's fascination with this movie anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poweranimals
    What is everyone's fascination with this movie anyway?
    Which one? The Hunger Games is based on a mega-popular best-selling book, American Reunion has lots of nostalgia value for those who grew up with the original series.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indeed it does, for one I actually bothered to spend money to see it.

Kindness King is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Talon View Post

Actually, I think it looks like it might be great too. A number of people here were pleasantly surprised by the trailer, if I recall. And as for Jersey Shore, only Snooki and that other girl appeared, and it's obviously only a two-minute scene, if not only in the preview. Just because they're in one scene doesn't automatically mean it will be bad.
    More harm has been done by people panicked over societal decline than societal decline ever did.

-xkcd.com

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Three Stooges looks like a box office disaster. A pair of hasbeen directors who haven't been worth giving a crap about since 2001. A trio of hasbeens in the leads WHO WERE NEVER FUNNY even back in the day. And its dancing on the graves of Mssrs, Howard, Fine and, Howard. Yikes.

Kindness King is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it will be good, just that it won't be bad solely because people from Jersey Shore are in one scene. The Farelly Brothers did have a good track record once upon a time, it's not entirely impossible for them to tap in to what made their careers.

All I know is it looked okay from the previews, and I plan to see it. If it turns out to be bad, so be it.
    More harm has been done by people panicked over societal decline than societal decline ever did.

-xkcd.com

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindness King View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it will be good, just that it won't be bad solely because people from Jersey Shore are in one scene. The Farelly Brothers did have a good track record once upon a time, it's not entirely impossible for them to tap in to what made their careers.

All I know is it looked okay from the previews, and I plan to see it. If it turns out to be bad, so be it.
    I've never been a fan of the Farrellys and their brand of gross-out humor; gross-out and raunch are two of my least favorite kinds, and ever since There's Something About Mary it is THE ONLY KIND OF COMEDY Hollywood has made, so.....I hate them for what they've done. I haven't gone to see a live-action comedy movie in fourteen years thanks to them.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge

I've never been a fan of the Farrellys and their brand of gross-out humor; gross-out and raunch are two of my least favorite kinds, and ever since There's Something About Mary it is THE ONLY KIND OF COMEDY Hollywood has made, so.....I hate them for what they've done. I haven't gone to see a live-action comedy movie in fourteen years thanks to them.
    That probably dates back to American Pie, at least, And most of it now comes from the Judd Apatow school.
    "

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's not true. The Coen Brothers have been right over here, making cerebral, quirky, dark comedies for the last two decades.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wes Anderson says hi.