Quantcast
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Special DVD/Blu-ray Packaging - Yay or Nay?

Like This Thread!
    There seems to be plenty of special packaging for DVDs and Blu-rays whether it is discs placed in busts or elaborate statues. Steelbook casing has become very popular too. Do you like these special packages for your DVD and Blu-rays or do you just prefer a simple DVD or Blu-ray case and thats it? Are the special packaging more cumbersome than useful?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I prefer the more standard and small packaging I can get. This case, for example, would be lovely to see used more often.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

defunctzombie is offline Cutie Pie
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As long as it's not a recycle case, I'm fine with it. Anything but a recycle case.

I do like clear cases where the disc matches the inside artwork, though. Very pretty, even if you don't see it that often.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have bought one DVD that had the Steelbooks casing. I liked it a lot because it is more durable than your standard case. Not a fan of the busts and what not. One exception was Time Life's The Real Ghostbusters complete collection because it was based on the Firehouse and thus, not a three dimensional or irregular.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: November 20, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You guys should read this thread

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...-quot-Talkback

But, it really would depend on the film/show and the package. Personally, packaging should just be part of the bells and whistles and not the main feature. Too many dvds in the past tried to shirk their duties of extras and stuff with excellent packaging. It often failed.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like special cases when it's stuff like my Iron Man DVD that is shaped like Iron Man's helmet, my The Dark Knight DVD with Batman's mask looks kind of cheesy though...
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some of them look nice (like the Alien Quadrilogy in the Xenomorph head), but I'm not really into them for spacing/price reasons. I've only bought two releases in special packaging: TimeLife's Real Ghostbusters set in the firehouse box, and the Blade Runner collector's set in the briefcase. Both were just far too cool to pass up.

And while the DVD's didn't come in it, I did buy a special Indiana Jones DVD case that looks like a suitcase with Indy's jacket, whip, and hat lying on top of it. They were sold empty at Blockbuster Video in 2008 to put the latest DVD editions inside. I bought it more for collectible reasons than to hold the DVDs.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.