Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    This does seem like a pretty odd choice for a rating. All of these kids in the target audience that they're going for in this documentary have heard this kind of language plenty of times. It's unfortunately true and trying to protect them from hearing that in a documentary sounds ridiculous to me. A few swear words alone should not make a movie like this an R-rated movie. It would just make it more difficult for some people to see this documentary.

CyclonatorZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterstar View Post
    The MPAA usually goes like this, "Oh, drugs, sex, and violence. PG-13. That's an easy one. LANGUAGE?! NC-17!"
    I don't buy this. Transformers 3 had two F bombs, lots of S words, and tons of other language, but still got a PG-13. I think Monterery Jack's post is probably a lot closer to the truth - this is ultimately about how powerful the company behind the movie is, and how much they are willing to spend to get their preferred rating.

That's not to say I don't think we need a rating system at all. The problem is that the MPAA is so inconsistent that its ratings often confuse more than they inform. There definitely needs to be a serious overhaul of the entire system, done by people not directly connected to Hollywood.

"We are both men out of time" - Dr. Arnim Zola, to Captain America.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonatorZ View Post
    I don't buy this. Transformers 3 had two F bombs, lots of S words, and tons of other language, but still got a PG-13. I think Monterery Jack's post is probably a lot closer to the truth - this is ultimately about how powerful the company behind the movie is, and how much they are willing to spend to get their preferred rating.

That's not to say I don't think we need a rating system at all. The problem is that the MPAA is so inconsistent that its ratings often confuse more than they inform. There definitely needs to be a serious overhaul of the entire system, done by people not directly connected to Hollywood.
    One F-Word is usually all you get to stay PG-13. That's right, a thoughful bullying documentary will be judged dirtier than Transformers 3 because it has one more F-Word. By the way, they can decide to go PG-13 for a film with more bad language by a special vote, so that apparently means they had a special vote for Transformers 3 that passed and either refused a vote or a vote failed for this documentary.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Acidonia is offline Master of Monsters
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Film ratings are confusing lots in uk from 80s and early 90s once out on dvd got re rated with lower ratings eg Gremlins 2 was Originaly rated 15 but is now rated 12.Though UK dvd ratings can be higher than the movie iself due to the extras eg Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy tv series is rated PG but the dvd is 15 the movie version was also PG but the Dvd is 12.

It always confused me how the movie watershop down is rated U though when the much tamer less violent tv series from the 90's was rated PG.

Game ratings are just as confusing though PEGI rated Street of Rage 2 on wii Virtual Console 7+ the 360 port of the exact same game is 12+. Sonic Rush adventure on DS first print runs PEGI rated 12+ for every mild language but the reprint of the game was re rated 3+ the opossite happened with Rabbids go home on Wii it started out 7+ then later more common printed cover re rated it 12+ for mild language.
    XBL Cawood19892007

CyclonatorZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    One F-Word is usually all you get to stay PG-13. That's right, a thoughful bullying documentary will be judged dirtier than Transformers 3 because it has one more F-Word. By the way, they can decide to go PG-13 for a film with more bad language by a special vote, so that apparently means they had a special vote for Transformers 3 that passed and either refused a vote or a vote failed for this documentary.
    I'm not suprised in the least. Michael Bay's latest disaster would have been sunk if it had an R rating, and we couldn't have that happen, could we? But a movie whose entire purpose is to shed light on a major cultural disaster... well, that's not a big deal, nobody goes to the movies to be preached at anyway.

"We are both men out of time" - Dr. Arnim Zola, to Captain America.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bully should be PG-13. Kids really need to see the tragic effects of Bullying. I've been through the [craphole] that is middle school, while I got a little bit bullied, We've seen a lot of kids bullied to death, literally.

Mod Note: Watch the language. Post Edited
    Last edited by spartanx54; 03-30-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LIke the Nielsen ratings system, I believe the MPAA system is a broken system. But it's up to Hollywood to come up with something better which they continually refuse to do.

Marvel Comics got sick of the comics code authority so they dumped it and just started rating their own comics for various age groups.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This movie will miss it's audience with an R rated or unrated showing. Could they censor the language and pass for PG-13? They shouldn't have to for a documentary but maybe that would be enough.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    ...Marvel Comics got sick of the comics code authority so they dumped it and just started rating their own comics for various age groups...
    Let me just say - that's the kind of initiative we need to see here - a proper challenging of a broken system, like your example - if only so in the future, movies like Bully actually reach a proper audience, like they need and deserve to!

I'm being heavy-handed on this statement, I know. This be so, as bullying is a detriment to our society (ANY society) and is only encouraging that education of any kind in the US, well... not exist... Unless massive reforms and proper combat against this crippling issue are made.

THIS would have been a step in the right direction, even if it meant being preached to a little - sad that that be there, but it is truth. Unfortunately, that's my stance on it and I'm sorry if others may not completely agree with me.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Could they censor the language and pass for PG-13?
    That would undermine the entire premise of the movie. These kids swear at others and bully them. In real life. Unless we get an FCC takeover like in Family Guy, they're going to keep hearing it.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast