Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Thank you whoever cast Alexis Bledel for this show...

And addition to the other plots discussed, I thought Roger once again got some golden lines, "This is becoming the most expensive dinner in history" and "I feel like one of us should say thank you."
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A new episode aired tonight at 10 PM Eastern.

Episode 5.10: "Christmas Waltz"

Christmas proves rewarding to many at the agency.

Man, even the "losers" get the women in Mad Men. Or as I would like to say, "Hare Krishna, Harry!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought this was a rare weak episode of Mad Men. Turned off by those who flipped out, Harry scoring, and Paul's current status. I plan on catching the replay and watching it over again.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea I'd probably rank this with the season premiere as being on the weaker episodes this season and also kind of hard to follow I actually had to watch the replay to get a better handle of it. Did get some laughs from the whole Krishna stuff with Paul but it seemed pretty weak just Harry dealing with the doofus in Paul and his doofus girlfriend...and Harry ain't bright so that's saying something.

Not really in favor of Megan flipping out for the third time, this one being the one with the weakest reasoning. Just made her look nuts. Not really sure what I thought of Lane's mishap, guy just can't catch a break he's like Reverse Pete.

I did like Joan's plot though as it was great seeing someone finally ripping into that ditzy receptionist. "Surprise! It's a plane here to see you!" her and Don have incredible chemistry. Maybe in another life these two would be together. I like that they teased the audience and themselves in the bar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A new episode airs tonight at 10 PM Eastern.

Episode 5.11: "The Other Woman"

Don deals with a challenging pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Poor Joan prostituting herself, maybe if she had known that Don didn't want anything to with it she might have reconsidered. I hate the fact that Pete actually tried to shake her hand...he needs another beating. And I can understand Peggy's frustration and her decision to go I just wonder if she's jumping into a shark tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    Poor Joan prostituting herself, maybe if she had known that Don didn't want anything to with it she might have reconsidered. I hate the fact that Pete actually tried to shake her hand...he needs another beating. And I can understand Peggy's frustration and her decision to go I just wonder if she's jumping into a shark tank.
    This was a "what are these people thinking" sort of episode. That was a shock Peggy left even though it's sorta been a thread since the beginning. I agree with the shark tank bit, I doubt she comprehended how insulated she was working under Don's wing. Though I doubt she'll end up a Hare Krishna. Just sayin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A new episode airs tonight at 10 PM Eastern.

Episode 5.12: "Commissions and Fees"

Don receives an intriguing lead and follows up on it.

young101 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well something terrible finally happened. Never knew they'd actually kill off one of the main cast members...

Poor don. Always trying to move but gets hitched by another setback. Don's guilt felt very reminiscent of his step brother's death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was I the only one who thought Lane was going to be the falling man in the theme at least for a second? I suppose that would have been too public, Lane was always worrying about his sense of honor and how things might impact the agency.

Jarred Harris and Jon Hamm were excellent in their scene when Don confronted Lane about the forgery. It's tough to feel bad for one party when they did something wrong while at the same time wish the other character might show mercy even though he did the right thing but they did it here. For all of Don's failings he's strong in his resolve to reinvent and overcome. Poor Lane never had a chance though as he's not that guy and when he tried to be he always failed.

It was good seeing all the stuff that led to Don giving that impassioned pitch. Obviously there was the events of last week's episode( Peggy leaving, Joan's partnership ), that crack that rival made at the barbershop, the deal with Lane, and just his general frustration. It was cool seeing Roger come up big for once by being able to get him that meeting even if it wasnt exactly timely. I enjoyed Ken also finally getting one over Pete, it reminded me of when Pete did the same to him behind his back last season.

Can't believe the season's already almost over. It always seems to go by fast but with that huge delay it just makes it worse this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    Jarred Harris and Jon Hamm were excellent in their scene when Don confronted Lane about the forgery. It's tough to feel bad for one party when they did something wrong while at the same time wish the other character might show mercy even though he did the right thing but they did it here. For all of Don's failings he's strong in his resolve to reinvent and overcome. Poor Lane never had a chance though as he's not that guy and when he tried to be he always failed.
    They were. It was just so awful to see Lane fail at killing himself with the Jag. And his wife, that had to have been the happiest we've seen her onscreen, and she was just trying to surprise Lane with a present. Like young101, Don's reaction also reminded me of his brother's death. Joan's reaction was also well-executed, of course she felt awful after realizing what their final conversation was.

It was good seeing all the stuff that led to Don giving that impassioned pitch. Obviously there was the events of last week's episode( Peggy leaving, Joan's partnership ), that crack that rival made at the barbershop, the deal with Lane, and just his general frustration. It was cool seeing Roger come up big for once by being able to get him that meeting even if it wasnt exactly timely. I enjoyed Ken also finally getting one over Pete, it reminded me of when Pete did the same to him behind his back last season.
    It was interesting to see flashes of the old Don and Peter in this episode. It was good seeing Roger pull off a meeting, he's not just part of the upholstery after all.

Can't believe the season's already almost over. It always seems to go by fast but with that huge delay it just makes it worse this time.
    True that. What is it two or three seasons left as part of the deal with AMC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe that there are 2 seasons as this is season 5 and Matt Weiner has said season 7 would be the last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The season finale airs tonight at 10 PM Eastern. Don't worry, the show will be back next year. No contract negotiations this time around.

Episode 5.13: "The Phantom"

Season 5 concludes with opportunities abounding for everyone at the agency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, that was a tease of an ending with Don. Caving in and letting Megan became another Betty. Ordering an old fashioned?! Couldn't keep the old Don down for long.

And poor Alexis Bledel, yet a brilliant arc for Peter even though he got punched again. His phantom was one of the more ironic ones, he got the apartment but no Beth.

And somewhere in there, two dogs humping. Definitely not Paris. Kidding aside, it seemed like Peggy was the only one who got her phantom and didn't end up hollow inside. Well, Harry and Cooper did get their offices it seems.

Only turn offs for me with this finale were them throwing in one more racist joke and the sudden quibble among Don, Ginsberg, and Stan (I know it's cause Peggy ain't there but they could have eased it in better).

young101 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay so when I first watched it, I wasn't that enthused. I guess after lane's death, there wasn't much more they could throw at you, but I suppose that actually wasn't the point even though we expect a lot from finales. Watching it again, it actually does feel like a nice closure to the season and the overall theme still managed to remind me of not only the theme for this season but an idea that it's presented in previous season finales - everyone seems to want more and more, but when they do get it, they still feel empty. For me, it wasn't until the second half of the episode where I began enjoying the episode.

I read the interview weiner had. Watching it again, I like how no one said lane's name but his presence is still felt throughout.

And yet everyone of the main cast members endings to their arcs are just as sad. Adam's appearances in front of don were creepy and I just loved it. He was just a like a ghost staring wide eyed at Don. Pete as usual is never satisfied, no matter how far up the work ladder he climbs. Roger is still trying to experience that euphoria again, but has to do it alone and butt naked. Even Peggy's fabulous first plane trip isn't as glorious as she's just staying in some hotel with two dogs gettin it on outside her room. And I'm not quite so sure about Megan's path. Sure, she pursued acting and her father would be somewhat proud. But she still went the cheap route and used don to get her a leg up in the industry and I'm not quite sure if Don was contemplating that as he walks away from the set and is in the bar.

Also, beautiful shots in the ep. Especially the partners standing on their new second floor. I loved the montage. Don draper became james bond and it totally fit! Also the lyrics just totally matched up with every single one of the characters they transitioned to. Beautiful.

Also, I feel they will eventually kill off bert cooper somehow in either the next two seasons. I wonder how they will make his death just as impactful as the ones previously on the show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by young101 View Post
    Okay so when I first watched it, I wasn't that enthused. I guess after lane's death, there wasn't much more they could throw at you, but I suppose that actually wasn't the point even though we expect a lot from finales.
    I was kind of in the same boat but I kind of thought that the finale would be more low key so I was expecting it to be this way. Afterall the last two episodes had the big stuff like Peggy leaving, Joan prostituting herself, and of course Lane killing himself...where do you go after that outside of something too ridiculous.

And yes the last montage with You Only Live Twice playing was great. The last shot of Don turning his head in that classic Draper way can only lead to bad things. It's too bad as it seems he has a good thing with Megan( I was right there with Don when he was being mesmerized by her reel, she's stunning ) but maybe Don knows he doesn't deserve to be happy just alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3