Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Power Rangers Samurai to be released on DVD, Blu Ray, & Digitally by Lionsgate

Like This Thread!
    Lionsgate announced today they have acquired the release rights to release Power Rangers Samurai. They will release it on DVD, Blu ray, and digitally. The first two volumes have been announced with a June 19 release with the names "The Team Unites" and " A New Enemy." The rights include not only the TV series but also the Halloween special, Christmas Special, and Clash of the Red Rangers movie.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...angers-samurai
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is good news. The new series has good production values and since it is shot widescreen and in high definition I'm glad it will be available on Blu-ray. Lionsgate usually does a good job with home video so I imagine these will be good releases. Hopefully they can do the next Power Rangers series as well.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That explains why Shout did not get Samurai but it is rather odd for Power Rangers DVDs to be coming from two distributors at the same time when one surely would have sufficed. Well that's business for you.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    That explains why Shout did not get Samurai but it is rather odd for Power Rangers DVDs to be coming from two distributors at the same time when one surely would have sufficed. Well that's business for you.
    Probably just some logistical stuff. The thing is, I imagine all the shows are basically their own license like Dragon Ball from DBZ and DBZ from GT. So it's a separate license for a distributor to bid on. Samurai is the new show and the new hot ticket right now and probably fits better with Lionsgate Home Entertainment while the old shows have more of a nostalgia factor which I guess makes them a better fit with Shout Factory. Though I recall that I think Lionsgate does distribute the original Ninja Turtles series on DVD.

-CM Punk

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They do indeed and they distributed Speed Racer as well. Ninja Turtles was inherited from Family Home Entertainment which had the home video rights when the series first hit the airwaves. It's a remarkably long standing license when you think about it. Lionsgate isn't bad at releasing old shows per say but their TMNT sets are quite bare bones and Shout Factory probably could have done more with TMNT than they did so I'm glad they got Power Rangers but I'm concerned that they are getting to the point of having perhaps too many big franchises with their deal with Hasbro and such. Lionsgate has perhaps less on it's plate at least regarding releasing old series on DVD but Shout is known for that so it makes sense to sell them the rights to the previous Power Rangers seasons.

At any rate, Samurai is in good hands. Hopefully they do season sets and not just the singles they already have planned. They will probably do the same release plan as they did with Wolverine and the X-Men. Starting with singles and later releasing a full season set. A full season set seems like the only way they'd release the show on Blu-Ray because for the purposes of giving parents something to buy their kid DVD is probably preferred but maybe that will change soon. BDs can be sold remarkably cheap these days.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I notice that the volumes are starting on "The Team Unites" rather than "Origins"...

I really don't see the point in doing that on the home releases.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 7/21 - Macross: Do You Remember Love?)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would like it to start with Origin as well and keep it as close to Shinkenger as possible. But that being said, not all shows start with the origin episodes. Sometimes they don't come until later in a show's run.

-CM Punk

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    I notice that the volumes are starting on "The Team Unites" rather than "Origins"...

I really don't see the point in doing that on the home releases.
    Yeah you'd think that they would start off with "Origins" since it has since been aired. I guess they're going to go by the order in which they premiered. Even in production, both the episodes are #19 and #20.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Dogbert is offline I Don't See Gravity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
    Even in production, both the episodes are #19 and #20.
    No, Origins Part 1 and Origins Part 2 were the first and second episodes produced. In addition to the story narrative clearly intending for these to go first (even beyond chronology alone) and the actors and acting skills placing these earlier, the three-episode block production schedule was an indication of these episodes being produced with The Team Unites. By production order, chronology and narrative, they belong first. Only by network airing order would they be placed anywhere else.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    No, Origins Part 1 and Origins Part 2 were the first and second episodes produced. In addition to the story narrative clearly intending for these to go first (even beyond chronology alone) and the actors and acting skills placing these earlier, the three-episode block production schedule was an indication of these episodes being produced with The Team Unites. By production order, chronology and narrative, they belong first. Only by network airing order would they be placed anywhere else.
    They should be the first two chronologically. Despite that though, I saw someone state that even Saban themselves put them in the #19 and #20 spots. You don't know about him, but he posted about this at a board and he has proven to have some rather good sources. It's sad, yet true.

I know that they were also the first two filmed, but what you said about acting skills being a factor made me think of something. See, one of my friends checked out "The Team Unites" but didn't really bother following up after that because of the acting. She did watch "Origins part 1" when I showed it to her though, and she thought that the Origins episodes were filmed later since she thought the actors seemed to have a better handle on their acting in the episode.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast