Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Top film trilogies and why

Like This Thread!

I'm certain this has been brought up on this board before, but because we have two potential trilogies coming to a close this summer with Men in Black 3 and Dark Knight Rises, it would be great to see some other trilogies die.

Over the past month or so, I've been revisiting some of the trilogies I own. Some a little iffy, and others perfect.

Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock
    Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

i started with these, then moved to the Indiana Jones set, Back to the Future, which lead me, because of the last film, to watch the Dollars Trilogy which I just started. Next up I'm not sure yet, probably Matrix, or something.

What are your faves. Also don't be stingy if they had an added sequel like Die Hard or Indiana Jones. Just explain why the trilogy ties up nicely. Feel free to make your own. I will.

Here's a list:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/trilogy/

EinBebop is offline Kneel Before Zod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Die Hard trilogy (1-3). I love the second a lot more than most.... the airport setting was just a lot of fun. But at the end of day Hans Gruber takes the first movie to a whole different level.
    "He lived hard and died stupid."

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Star Wars trilogy of course! It's basically defined most of my likes over the years and even philosophies. Not just that, but they're terrific movies, even Return of the Jedi, which is my favorite despite the Ewoks and clumsy acting.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EinBebop View Post
    Die Hard trilogy (1-3). I love the second a lot more than most.... the airport setting was just a lot of fun. But at the end of day Hans Gruber takes the first movie to a whole different level.
    I liked how the third reverted back to Hans. Also loved SLJ, but I felt Willis wasn't the same.

kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the x-men trilogy: I seriously think there shouldn't be an x-men 4 because the first three movie work great as a trilogy they should stick with spin offs

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They are kind of loose with what they are calling trilogies.
    And, I'll join them.

You can carve out the mid 70's era of Pink Panther movies as their own trilogy.
    "Return of the Pink Panther"
    "The Pink Panther Strikes Again"
    "Revenge of the Pink Panther"
    Hmmm.. Writing that out I wonder if we can add Pink Panther to influences on Lucas
    The franchise is rebooted, Sellers is completely ridiculous and the only thing taken seriously is stuffing in more gags.
    And it actually works.
    (By the way, Steve Martin did an admiral job reprising the role. Too bad Edwards isn't around for him to get a third movie.)

I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies, so maybe that should be on my list.

I've mostly been avoiding horror movies the last few years. Maybe by Halloween I'll watch The Evil Dead movies again.
    They're the movies that gave us Ash, and also Bruce Campbell, and that's something we need more of.

Mad Max is a classic for it's degeneration of society. The punk styles may look even more weird and outlandish today then they did then. I'd definitely rather see Beyond Thunderdome again, where the gladiatorial combat seems a natural result of living in a brutal world, rather then the Hunger Games where it looks like it's because people just got board with scripted television and somehow appearing on Survivor becomes mandatory.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    . I'd definitely rather see Beyond Thunderdome again, where the gladiatorial combat seems a natural result of living in a brutal world, rather then the Hunger Games where it looks like it's because people just got board with scripted television and somehow appearing on Survivor becomes mandatory.[/QUOTE]

Actually,the Hunger Games was due to the people fighting against the government, and as a punishment, the government forced two children from each of the twelve districts to fight in the Hunger Games every year.
    Coming soon to the Fun and Games forum,Greatest Cartoon Network Character Ever!

Evo
    Evo is offline Agent of Providence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kid rabbit
    the x-men trilogy: I seriously think there shouldn't be an x-men 4 because the first three movie work great as a trilogy they should stick with spin offs
    I'm this way about Toy Story. The third is perfect ending and I don't think they could possibly top it.

About X-Men, though, I disagree. I think they should make another one, but cut back on the spin-offs/ reboots/ prequels.

I mean theres X-Men Origins: Wolverine, a spin-off, First Class, a prequel, a potential sequel to First Class, The Wolverine, a reboot of a spin-off, Deadpool, a spin-off OF a spin-off, plus maybe a Magneto spin-off if that hasn't been canceled.

Not that they aren't good movies. They're both good. It's just getting kind of confusing.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No mention of Back to the Future yet? Sad panda. I think it's one of the few trilogies where I like all of the movies pretty equally.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Cyberville Outcast is offline The Busiest Lazy Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    No mention of Back to the Future yet? Sad panda. I think it's one of the few trilogies where I like all of the movies pretty equally.
    Don't worry, I'll fix that.

Top trilogies:

Back to the Future-I think I've watched each film maybe about five times at least, and still never cease to entertain me.

Star Wars (Original Trilogy)-The new trilogy was essentially how the 1977-1983 movies came to be, and were done well in my opinion. But the original trilogy is really what Star Wars is about.

Toy Story-All 3 films flow perfectly, they better not make a fourth one.

Spider Man-Haven't watched this in a while, but I can say I've enjoyed this a lot.

Miyamoto Musashi is offline Sword Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Chris Nolan's take on The Dark Knight:
    When it comes to Chris Nolan movies, I always need to views them a second time to get into them and feel them, then I see they turn out to be work of fine art, that plus his statement about ending Batman with a third movie cause movie franchises are better completed in a three movie than lasting longer.

*Back to the Future:
    Childhood nostalgia plays a considerable role, I loved these movies since I was a child, I still enjoy them a lot. Nostalgia is not the only factor, nor is it the main factor, I can't get into Batman Returns, and 90s child me loved that movie so dearly. I wouldn't deny some faults I see in this trilogy, but it's still a very good one

*Sam Raimi's Spider-Man:
    They are goofy and pretty campy, the main character is a dork, his love interest is very annoying when it comes to her personal feelings, CGI looks very cartoony at certain scenes, as it belongs to the cinematics in SM2 the game not to a live action movie (i.e; Spider-Man vs Ock on the clock tower), so I can see why plenty of people were looking forward to a new direction.

And before anyone asks; "Why put movies among your favorite if you criticize them this much?". They are fun, stories have plenty of seriousness to accept as quite a mature material, it has an enjoyable balance between camp and seriousness, I love the costume designs (including Norman's Green goblin, and especially Harry's Goblin jr), villains development, the action, staff of the Daily Bugle, Peter's is an insanely funny dork. As far as viewing movies from favorite to least favorite, I love each movie more than the one came before it. And it has my favorite take on Venom out of TSSM animated, if he's supposed to be a villain, he's done justice, and the symbiote met its rightful end (though I admit loving the new Flash Venom series)

*Rocky:
    I love the movies from 1-4, didn't watch Rocky 5 nor Rocky Balboa, but I'll count movies from 1-3 and say they are fun, you can watch the third without the need to watch a sequel, the end

*TAXI:
    The French movie series. They are fun and enjoyable, and strongly beat the U.S remake
    Blogger
    Humans are the most peculiar of the living creatures
    Nowdays I can hardly be surprised

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You can be loose with trilogies if you know what you're looking for. I plan on watching Akira Kurosawa's 7 Samurai, Yojimbo, & Sanjuro as a trilogy. I'm probably going to spend the rest of the year doing this.

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I gotta go with the original Star Wars as the best trilogy. Its a great story from beginning to end and is still the benchmark for scifi movies.

I would also like to mention The Evil Dead trilogy, Besides introducing us to the great Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi it has some of the best mix of horror and comedy.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    You can be loose with trilogies if you know what you're looking for. I plan on watching Akira Kurosawa's 7 Samurai, Yojimbo, & Sanjuro as a trilogy. I'm probably going to spend the rest of the year doing this.
    Those are good choices. If you want to swap it up a bit, I recommend swapping in either The Hidden Fortress or Rashomon for Seven Samurai. They're all good films, and they all have a similar leading character (though in Rashomon he's the bandit instead of the samurai, but it makes sense if you consider that he's ripping people off in Yojimbo ).
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Those are good choices. If you want to swap it up a bit, I recommend swapping in either The Hidden Fortress or Rashomon for Seven Samurai. They're all good films, and they all have a similar leading character (though in Rashomon he's the bandit instead of the samurai, but it makes sense if you consider that he's ripping people off in Yojimbo ).

Hmmmm, I own The Hidden Fortress, but not Roshomon, which I barely remember. That is interesting, I will have to rewatch that one and see if this theory sticks. Thank you.

Anyway, I plan on finishing up the Dollars trilogy tomorrow with one of my favorite films ever: G,B,U, and will probably move on to sci-fi. I'm torn between The Fly trilogy, The Matrix, or Jurassic Park.

Also, I forgot that yet another trilogy is closing this summer (Hopefully) Madagascar 3. I honestly don't get those films. The trailers are funnier than the films for me.I still haven't seen the second one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay to date so far I gotten these:

STAR TREK:
    Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock
    Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

INDIANA JONES:
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom
    Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade

BACK TO THE FUTURE:
    Back to the Future
    Back to the Future 2
    Back to the Future 3

The DOLLARS Trilogy:
    Fistful of Dollars
    For a Few Dollars More
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Jurassic Park:
    Jurassic Park
    Jurassic Park II: The Lost World
    Jurassic Park III

Currently just starting on Karate Kid trilogy, when I just realized, if they make another film, they can have a second trilogy. Wow, and here we are still waiting for Ghostbusters 3.

EinBebop is offline Kneel Before Zod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    Currently just starting on Karate Kid trilogy, when I just realized, if they make another film, they can have a second trilogy.
    Connection's too loose, unless they're going to have Hillary Swank training Jaden Smith. And then, during a fight, some dude sucker punches Jaden and he ends up a quadriplegic, and Hillary Swank never leaves his bedside.

I'd give the movie a title, but then people would cry, 'spoiler'.
    "He lived hard and died stupid."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EinBebop View Post
    Connection's too loose, unless they're going to have Hillary Swank training Jaden Smith. And then, during a fight, some dude sucker punches Jaden and he ends up a quadriplegic, and Hillary Swank never leaves his bedside.

I'd give the movie a title, but then people would cry, 'spoiler'.
    If they were to do a sequel to the Karate Kid 2010, I want them to head for Thailand. If they did return to the States, Swank showing up would be great only if she became a Kobra Kai-esque celebrity who was a UFC fighter and her character could have an arc. In other words Swank would only do the movie if her character had athe reason to return. Maybe it takes Jaden's character to turn her back to Miyagi's way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Starting the Bourne Trilogy today. I haven't seen the third film yet, so looking forward to this one.

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since people already mentioned Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Toy Story, I'll go with my favorite Disney trilogy: Aladdin!

All three movies had wonderful characters, good songs, and funny humor. Trust me, The Return of Jafar and Aladdin and the King of Thieves are worthy sequels to the original, DTV or not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast