Quantcast
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    So, I watched The Beastmaster this week which I hadn't seen in probably 20 years. Good memories. Anyways, knowing now that there was a trilogy of films made, I'm going to track down the other two and put this on my list. I think this will be a pretty bad trilogy based solely on The Beastmaster 2, which was pretty sucky. The second and third were not by Coscarelli, but I will attempt to find some kind of consistency in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I finally tied up the Beastmaster trilogy this week.

The Beastmaster
    The Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time
    The Beastmaster 3: The Eye of Braxas

Okay, so to quickly sum up, the first film is of the fantasy genre through and through and should be seen. It is in line with others of its time like Conan and the oft missed Sword and the Sorcerer. Then the decline in quality begins with Beastmaster 2 which is actually good if you do not take it serious like the first one. I reminds me of the Evil Dead switch from horror to horror comedy. However, part 3 comes along, and it is just unbearably awful. Inconsistencies are throughout, but they do attempt to bring back characters from the first film, which I wish they hadn't. The villain is played by a hammy David Warner who seemed like he didn't even want to be there and is probably the worse I've ever seen him. Then the finale ends with Dar fighting something like looks like a Ninja Turtles (live action) costume reject mixed with Gamera. This is not something you want to see folks, do yourself a favor. So, all in all, this clearly is not going to be a great trilogy to watch based solely on the third stinker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I'm bumping this thread cause I watched the best trilogy I have seen in years and easily jumps into my top 10. The Colors Trilogy simply is a masterpiece and I can't believe I waited this long to watch it.

Director Kristofski simply set out intentionally to make a trilogy, which is probably why it rises to the cream of the crop. He set out to make:

Blue
    White
    Red

Each film in different countries and representing Liberty (Blue), Equality (White), and Fraternity (Red). Each film also has different protagonists tied to the subject matter but often allows you to seek the narrative on your own to tie the three together. There's a weak link in every trilogy, however in this one it can be highly subjective as each film can be viewed as standalones. So my least favorite is White, but that does not mean it is a bad film.

This trilogy is designed to be watched in tandem or one sitting. It is a shame cause the director retired before dying, but was considering another one about Heaven, Purgurtory, and Hell.

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    YES! An art house trilogy which doesn't have time-travel, elves, spaceships, or explosions and special effects in it! I am so very, very proud and happy in this moment!
    Last edited by Hanshotfirst1138; 08-18-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678