Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

So, I caught the Before Midnight capping the trilogy.

I love Before Midnight as it is a different film from the two, yet pays homage to the them. It is just a very good film and is not so much about falling in love, but about keeping it. Some of the scenes actually make you wonder what is love really worth? They talk about marriage and fighting for marriage, and the aspects of the purpose of it in the first place. The protagonists are not married, but the arguments are very much in key of it. This film reminds me of Woody Allen film (not directed by him) Scenes From a Mall which was kinda a lot like the two prequels to this one. I definitely suggest this trilogy.

Before Sunrise
    Before Sunset
    Before Midnight

CartoonFridays is offline Promoted to detective.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Toy Story trilogy

The series not only deals with adventures, but they're all about growing up and learning to accept the inevitable.
    Young lady, I'm an expert on humans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I started in on the Matrix trilogy on Monday, having not seen all three in a row in about a couple years now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I finished the Matrix Trilogy today, and I tried hard to watch the sequels with different eyes. Really, you have to think to "Get" the sequels, which is why they were so critically panned. I think on one of the commentaries I watched on this film, someone said a film critic said something to the effect of "I like my action movies stupid and full of violence". Watching the sequels as I'm older now, I appreciate what the Wachowski's did bring to the table. The films has as many layers as a a photoshopped painting. On the outside looking in, many can see the films represent Birth, Life, and Death in that order. Then again, there's more about them than that. For instance, they can also be Mind, Body, and Spirit, in that order. Much like the first Star Wars trilogy did, they take more than one aspect of philosophy and cultural awareness. I might even argue some of the characters represent National identies of film, meaning Hollywood, European, Oriental, etc. All in all, this still doesn't rise above the classic trilogies, but it is still a good watch.

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just thought of one! In the '60s Toho was churning out dozens of really fun science fiction movies, mostly directed by Ishiro Honda. The most famous of these are the kaiju movies, of which Godzilla is the most famous, but, they also made quite a few non-kaiju sci-fi flicks, my favorite being the three Honda directed 'Mutant' or 'Human Transformation' films.

The H-Man
    The Human Vapor
    Matango

Each approach the subject matter of men being turned into some kind of creature quite differently, and each film is a showcase for just what a great directer Honda really is.

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always thought the "mutant trilogy" was The H-Man, The Human Vapor, and The Secret of the Telegian, not Matango? There also the so-called "space trilogy" of The Mysterians, Battle in Outer Space, and [i]Gorath[i].
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always thought of the three Honda films as the 'Mutant Trilogy,' with Telegian being the associated outlier 'cause it wasn't directed by Honda.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I just thought of one! In the '60s Toho was churning out dozens of really fun science fiction movies, mostly directed by Ishiro Honda. The most famous of these are the kaiju movies, of which Godzilla is the most famous, but, they also made quite a few non-kaiju sci-fi flicks, my favorite being the three Honda directed 'Mutant' or 'Human Transformation' films.The H-ManThe Human VaporMatangoEach approach the subject matter of men being turned into some kind of creature quite differently, and each film is a showcase for just what a great directer Honda really is.
    Thanks for this suggestion, I have seen some of the 50's and 60's Japanese sci-fi and horror films. I like Human Vapor the most. I will look into these films and construct a proper trilogy.

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did any of those films ever get official US releases on DVD?
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    H-man, Matango and Mysterians are on dvd, and I have Human Vapor on vhs someplace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, I watched The Beastmaster this week which I hadn't seen in probably 20 years. Good memories. Anyways, knowing now that there was a trilogy of films made, I'm going to track down the other two and put this on my list. I think this will be a pretty bad trilogy based solely on The Beastmaster 2, which was pretty sucky. The second and third were not by Coscarelli, but I will attempt to find some kind of consistency in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I finally tied up the Beastmaster trilogy this week.

The Beastmaster
    The Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time
    The Beastmaster 3: The Eye of Braxas

Okay, so to quickly sum up, the first film is of the fantasy genre through and through and should be seen. It is in line with others of its time like Conan and the oft missed Sword and the Sorcerer. Then the decline in quality begins with Beastmaster 2 which is actually good if you do not take it serious like the first one. I reminds me of the Evil Dead switch from horror to horror comedy. However, part 3 comes along, and it is just unbearably awful. Inconsistencies are throughout, but they do attempt to bring back characters from the first film, which I wish they hadn't. The villain is played by a hammy David Warner who seemed like he didn't even want to be there and is probably the worse I've ever seen him. Then the finale ends with Dar fighting something like looks like a Ninja Turtles (live action) costume reject mixed with Gamera. This is not something you want to see folks, do yourself a favor. So, all in all, this clearly is not going to be a great trilogy to watch based solely on the third stinker.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4