• 1/2

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    this may sound like a hollywood exec
    but I think the movie could of done better if they called it john carter of mars
    or john carter and the princess of mars or something of mars
    you had to look really hard to know it's about a guy who goes to mars

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It was kind of a boneheaded idea. All the evidence apparently was that people "think they hate sci-fi" and anything with Mars in the title is the kiss of death. But by changing it to JOHN CARTER (along with Stanton's stupid explanation of how he changes it at the end and *EARNS* the title) audiences were just confused. This is NOT Harry Potter and it not merely enough for Andrew Stanton to love these books as much as kids and younger people today love Harry Potter. The material definitely had potential but Stanton didn't make it accessible like say Avatar and Star Wars were accessible. Stanton also thought putting a lot of characters and ideas that didn't come to the forefront in later books (since apparently as I understand it Burroughs hadn't even really thought of them yet when he first wrote Princess of Mars blah blah blah) to try and make the plot bigger. Instead it only confused the audiences even more.

This needed to be a much smaller and simpler story for about half the budget. It needed to slowly bring you into the world of John Carter and keep all the bigger ideas for later. It basically needed to be the first act of a larger story.

Just take the prologue for example. Stanton probably knows all these characters and conflicts back to front, but a general audience or kid has never read this stuff and has no idea what is going on. Parents are probably scratching their heads at the start and have no idea what is going on. I had no idea what is going on. Dominic West's character sort of looked heroic and like the good guy at the start but apparently he's a bad guy. Then these weird immortal dudes that can control everything give him a weird thing I can't explain. It doesn't make any sense. And the Therns in the movie also make no sense. The Therns should've been completely cut from the entire film. Maybe they are way in the background or referenced or briefly seen at certain points but to make them such active parts of the plot literally killed a lot of the movie. No one understood the Therns, their powers, or the Ninth Ray nonsense. It was way too much to throw at people and expect them to understand.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Actually, I've heard that Stanton's first cut was 170 minutes, so if there is a Director's Cut when it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray, it's possible those might be two elements expanded on in restored scenes.

Is this true. Do you have any more info references? I'd love to see them release more footage on DVD/BD, but doubt it. I think Disney did the same to Adamson on Prince Caspian which had more footage apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't get too excited, but John Carter has made its budget back.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=57373

This news with the additional support of the Japan B.O. and the dvd/blu-ray release, we should see hope of a sequel. The hope being because at least this film has had very good word of mouth and critical acclaim, unlike something like Green Lantern, Avatar: Last Airbender, or Prince of Persia. So let's keep up hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I though the film was only okay. The setting was nice to look at, I liked the flying ships, and (most) of the action scenes were well done.

However...mostly, it was confusing. Maybe I was just tired, but I kept losing track of who was who, and I would mix up characters and groups. Carter was a jerk the whole time, and the princess annoyed me. Admittedly, I liked the ending. And that dog was awesome.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

VladDraculi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the movie was down right dreadful and tied with Dark Shadows as the worst movies to come out in 2012.

Tohya is offline deficit omne quod nasciture
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VladDraculi View Post
    I thought the movie was down right dreadful and tied with Dark Shadows as the worst movies to come out in 2012.
    A Thousand Words, The Apparition, One for the Money, Devil Inside, I could go on and on. Heck I could list at least 30 more movies that were worse than John Carter in 2012.
    "If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VladDraculi View Post
    Um, nope.

More like the most underrated film of 2012. It is far from perfect or as brilliant as Stanton's Pixar films, but it is a very well-crafted popcorn flick with a lot of heart.

Quite frankly, I liked it more than most of the 2012 blockbusters (The Hunger Games, TDKR, Skyfall and especially The Hobbit).
    Tumblr

"After all, I have no heart or time to spare."
    Mikasa Ackerman(SNK/AoT)

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Um, nope.

More like the most underrated film of 2012. It is far from perfect or as brilliant as Stanton's Pixar films, but it is a very well-crafted popcorn flick with a lot of heart.

Quite frankly, I liked it more than most of the 2012 blockbusters (The Hunger Games, TDKR, Skyfall and especially The Hobbit).
    You're serious? I've read the book, and I still think the movie was borderline unintelligible. It has a terrific pedigree: Burroughs and Stanton all of the elements are in place for a rousing adventure, but the film is loud, joyous, and unbelievably dull, IMO. I like the cast, Kitsch is a great central hero, but the movie is gibberish, wall-to-wall loud action and mayhem interspersed with incomprehensible exposition. I really, really wanted to like it and hoped the critics were wrong, but they were sadly right. Maybe somewhere there's a director's cut that actually makes some blasted sense. Better than TDKR, Skyfall, The Hunger Games, and The Hobbit?! Brad Bird seemed to know his way around live action, Staton was hopelessly lost. District 9 cost an eighth of the budget and the CG was better integrated into the environment. Jackson came from no-budget independent films and seems to know his way around a huge budget and an epic-scale battle scene much better. The cast were great, some of the designs were interesting, but the movie should've been swashbuckling and light on its feet, not cumbersome and messy. It's been a century in the making, it's a shame it's turned out this way. I wanted to like it am much, especially after finishing the novel.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12