Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Aquadementia is offline That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Oh, it's "ILL MET IN LANKHMAR" not "roman numeral 3 Met in Lankhmar"
    Those crazy fonts, they got me again.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Agreed, though I was hoping for more comments along the lines of "yay" or "nay" as to what to read in "Swords and Deviltry".
    I didn't want to yay anything until I had the book in my hands.
    I just got "the Three of Swords" which has the first three books: "The Swords of Deviltry", "Swords Against Death" and "Swords in the Mist." So I'm all set through the first half of the series if anyone wants to go that far.

Chapter I: Induction is little more then a page in my book, so that and any intors can be lumped together with "The Snow Women."

Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    Just started reading Snow Women yesterday. Interesting style, need to get used to.
    I always need to find the rhythm the book was written in.
    With this one a somewhat pompous Stan Lee style works. Imagine he's reading it to you, or the narrator some epic fantasy, which this is.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    With this one a somewhat pompous Stan Lee style works. Imagine he's reading it to you, or the narrator some epic fantasy, which this is.
    Imagine Stan Lee's reading it to me? Dude, that's an image in my head that's just not working for me...

I don't imagine what narratives sound like, though I do sometimes imagine what a character's voice sounds like (and what actor/actress he or she sounds most like).

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadementia View Post
    Oh, it's "ILL MET IN LANKHMAR" not "roman numeral 3 Met in Lankhmar"
    Those crazy fonts, they got me again.

Funny, at first I thought it was three 'L's. As for the voice, now I have a Scottish warriors voice stuck in my head. Stan only works for some Marvel comics. Excelsior!

Aquadementia is offline That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Imagine Stan Lee's reading it to me? Dude, that's an image in my head that's just not working for me...

I don't imagine what narratives sound like, though I do sometimes imagine what a character's voice sounds like (and what actor/actress he or she sounds most like).
    So far the pages I've read have been more narrative then dialogue.
    Stan Lee might have been good at audio books when well practiced grandiosity is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    Funny, at first I thought it was three 'L's. As for the voice, now I have a Scottish warriors voice stuck in my head. Stan only works for some Marvel comics. Excelsior!
    Good call. I'll try Highlander voices too for the speaking parts.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've got about 20 pages left in "The Snow Women", I hope to be able to finish it tonight. I would've finished it sooner, but spent the last week finishing up some other projects.

Anyway, I wanted to bring up that it's about time to start reading our next full length novel: "Ender's Game". If you haven't already gotten a copy, please do so over the next week. I would like for everyone to have the book by next Monday (4/30/12) and to start reading on that date, so that the first week of discussion for that book can begin on the following Monday (5/7/12). That also gives us a few more days to finish "The Snow Women" as well.

"Ender's Game" discussion will be spread over 6 to 8 weeks. Looking forward to it!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Okay, by now everyone should have a copy of "Ender's Game" (and I would hope that you've finished "The Snow Women", or are nearly finished with it). Reading of Ender's Game can begin today (if you haven't already started), with the first week's discussion beginning NEXT MONDAY. That's unless someone speaks up here shortly asking for a delay.

My copy of Ender's Game is 324 pages long, with 15 chapters and an introduction. My edition of the book is the "Author's Definitive Edition", but all that means, per the author in the introduction, is that he corrects some spelling errors and rewrites some minor sentences more to his liking (the older editions of the book don't have this introduction in it - it just starts straight with Chapter 1). So even if you have an older edition of the book, that should work just as well.

Looking through the book, the opening chapters are just a few pages long each, increasing in lenth so that some of the last few chapters appear to be around 50 pages in length.

So here's how I'm going to divide up the weekly discussion:

Week 1:
    Introduction (if your copy of the book has an introduction - this "chapter" is not required reading)
    Chapters 1-4

Week 2:
    Chapters 5-7

Week 3:
    Chapters 8-9

Week 4:
    Chapters 10-11

Week 5:
    Chapters 12-13

Week 6:
    Chapters 14-15

And I'll probably give an extra week in the middle of the book for people to catch up, if needed.

Sound good? Then let's get to reading!

EDIT: After reading the introduction in my "Author's Definitive Edition", I have to say it reads more like an "Afterword" than an introduction. If you've never read the novel before, I recommend just getting straight into the story. Card discusses way too many aspects of the novel in his introduction, it might be spoiler-ish. Maybe.

Gatomon41 is offline Deo confidimus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, I've been down for the past week or so, and I'm now so behind with everything .

However, I have my copy of Ender's Game ready, so I'll be running from the start with this one.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Pro vita quad spes.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually read the intro and the first couple of pages, but life is rushing in quickly. I'm moving apartments and work is busy. I knew this summer was going to be busy, that's why I wanted to start something quick. Oh well, I'll see how I come along to catch up later.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Sorry, I've been down for the past week or so, and I'm now so behind with everything .

However, I have my copy of Ender's Game ready, so I'll be running from the start with this one.
    Well, we'll revisit "Swords and Deviltry" after finishing Ender's Game (for the 2nd story "The Unholy Grail"). So maybe you can get caught back up then.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Okay, gang, with the reading of Ender's Game drawing to a close over the next 2 weeks, it's time to revisit this thread, and discuss what we want to read next! (if you want to read anything next, that is...see below)

Participation has dwindled somewhat, and that's partially to blame on the start of summer vacation time. But some members have dropped offline alltogether (I'll have to shoot them an email to check on them, I hope they're okay).

But there's also been people joining in lately in lately, in the discussion threads, including Darklordaviator and Ero Sennin, so it appears we do have other followers of this Reading Group (they're just not as vocal as some of our regulars).

So here's what I propose:

Following Ender's Game, discussion will resume in our short story anthology "Swords and Deviltry" thread. I will give 1 week to read the next short story (a VERY short story) titled "The Unholy Grail".

Normally, we would start the next novel somewhat shortly after that, but I'd like to hear that people are even still interested in doing another full novel! I need some feedback if I'm to keep this going gang.

If not, then I'll go ahead and update "Swords and Deviltry" immediately after "The Unholy Grail", giving us 2 weeks to read the final story in that anthology, titled "Ill Met By Lankhmar" (the Hugo award winning story), and then we'll draw this thread to a close for the indefinite future. I may go ahead and have us do "Ill Met" anyway, just due to how short "The Unholy Grail" is, even if we do pick another full length novel. Or I could hold off and have us read "Ill Met" after the next novel.

But if we do another full length novel, I'd like to get nominations. I had previously suggested "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and people seemed fine with that, but we're not set in stone on that yet. I'd like people to speak up, what do you want to read next? If anything.

Anyone out there?