jasonhill is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smallville Season 1-5 Bluray?

Like This Thread!
    I dont know if this question has been asked before, which im sure it has but i didnt see an active thread on it. I watched the Season 1 Episode 1 episode from last friday in HD and was wondering if they would ever re-release those seasons onto blu-ray?
    Sincerely,
    Jason Hill
    http://www.thegamemaster.org/

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    During a chat on the Home Theater Forum a couple years back, a Warner rep said they were looking into it, although they mentioned some kind of unnamed issues with the first season. (It's been a really long time since I last saw 'em and they were on a pretty tiny HDTV, but I watched all of the first season in high definition on HDNet, and I don't remember there being anything off with the way those episodes looked.) Warner did put out the first season of Supernatural and has the second season of that slated to come out later this year, so they do seem to be willing to "catch up" on older seasons of current series on Blu-ray. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the early seasons of Smallville on Blu-ray sometime soon. I'm pretty sure nothing official has been announced, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
    During a chat on the Home Theater Forum a couple years back, a Warner rep said they were looking into it, although they mentioned some kind of unnamed issues with the first season. (It's been a really long time since I last saw 'em and they were on a pretty tiny HDTV, but I watched all of the first season in high definition on HDNet, and I don't remember there being anything off with the way those episodes looked.) Warner did put out the first season of Supernatural and has the second season of that slated to come out later this year, so they do seem to be willing to "catch up" on older seasons of current series on Blu-ray. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the early seasons of Smallville on Blu-ray sometime soon. I'm pretty sure nothing official has been announced, though.
    Ah thanks. I think that once they release the final season on bluray that to bring extra money they would push them onto bluray. Espcially with the new movie and the classic Superman collection coming to bluray this summer.
    Sincerely,
    Jason Hill

defunctzombie is offline Cutie Pie
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Didn't Smallville use a lot of music? Maybe the earlier seasons have a rights issue preventing them from getting re-released.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

Trevor is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Didn't Smallville use a lot of music? Maybe the earlier seasons have a rights issue preventing them from getting re-released.

Those would've been cleared with the DVD releases, since Warner Brothers would've made sure that the contracts allowed for distributuion on any past, present or future home video formats. (The first two episodes of Smallville were released as a 2-hour movie on VHS and DVD here in Canada back in 2002.)

But I recall the Home Theater Chat from a few years ago, and I remember that it was mentioned that the Special Effects were causing some problem. You have to remember that when Seasons 1-4 aired on TV originally they were aired in the 4:3 standard def format, with the special effects, shooting and editing having been done in 16:9, with an eye for 4:3. So it is most likely that, just like with Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition, the special effects were only done in 480i/480p Standard Definition, and Warner Brothers has to figure out how to get them up to 1080p High Definition, or if they have to redo them (plus the Chat also mentioned that the problems were only Season1, meaning that it looks like Seasons 2-4 had the effects done in HD, but then cropped to SD).

Also, Smallville Season 5 was released on HD-DVD at the same time that the DVD was released. For some reason (maybe they are waiting till the Season 1 issue is resolved the Blu-Ray's for the first four seasons are out) Warner Brothers hasn't issued it on Blu-Ray.

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    But I recall the Home Theater Chat from a few years ago, and I remember that it was mentioned that the Special Effects were causing some problem.
    They said "technical issues". It was kept completely vague. It could be that the effects are the stumbling block, but nothing's been confirmed.

(EdwardC) My question is about Shazam! i hope too see it on dvd Remastered please please and Smallville on Blu-ray 1-4
    (WarnerBros) we are looking into going back and releasing Smallville on Blu Ray, unfortunately, there were some technical issues on Season 1 that we're trying to work thru. No updates on Shazam. Lots of new shows on DVD with blu ray releases coming this fall..stay tuned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    You have to remember that when Seasons 1-4 aired on TV originally they were aired in the 4:3 standard def format
    I'm pretty sure Smallville was airing in HD on The WB as early as season 2.

Edited to add -- yeah, from August 31st, 2002:

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- The WB Network jumped on the high-definition television bandwagon Wednesday by announcing that affiliates covering about half of the United States will transmit five hours of HD programming each week beginning Sept. 12.

That is far fewer hours than some of the WB's larger network rivals but is a relatively major commitment for the youth-oriented net, which airs only two hours of primetime programming each weeknight and three hours Sundays.

Hit shows "Smallville" and "Reba" and two new offerings, "Family Affair" and "Everwood," will be offered in the 1080i format, according to a joint announcement from the WB and Tribune Television.
    The second season started airing on 9/24/02, so that fits.

Edited again:

From http://digitalproducer.digitalmedian...e.jsp?id=33074 :

Entity FX Finishes Third Season of Smallville With a Bang
    Entity FX recently wrapped the season finale for Smallville a season that ended with an exclamation point. Entity produced a total of 117 Hi Definition shots for the last episode in two weeks...
    So Entity has been doing the VFX for Smallville in high definition since at least season 3.

I wouldn't completely trust my memory about the way season 1 looked on my old 36" HDTV in 2004 when Smallville started airing on HDNet, but if you want to check, season 1 episodes are available in HD from iTunes and Amazon. It's been seven years, so I can't remember if there was a drop in quality when the effects kicked in, but I do seem to remember those episodes generally looking terrific, at least by my standards at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
    They said "technical issues". It was kept completely vague. It could be that the effects are the stumbling block, but nothing's been confirmed.
    Just recently I was watching some of the Season 1 episodes on my Playstation 3 (which is hooked up to a 40" TV via HDMI) with them being upconverted to 1080p. While the shots without special effects looked fairly good, there was a noticeable drop in quality whenever a special effect occurred, plus the asteroids in the pilot episode, and the Kryptonite rocks sitting under the water in the episode with the ice teen were looking pretty bad, and pretty fake (the rocks scene reminded me of an old screensaver that I remember seeing on computers that ran Windows 95 where the screen went to a fish tank view with fish swimming).

I'm pretty sure Smallville was airing in HD on The WB as early as season 2.
    Even if it was, the WB was a small player in the US at the time, so any stations that were not connected to the WB, but had a first-run licence, most likely had tapes that had the show cropped to 4:3. I remember up here in Canada that whenever I saw Smallville on Global or whatever channel it was on during those seasons the picture was always cropped to 4:3.

So Entity has been doing the VFX for Smallville in high definition since at least season 3.
    Well, that's like what Eden FX was doing on Star Trek Enterprise from Season 1: doing the special effects on the show in HD, even though the first couple of seasons were broadcast in SD (although in Enterprise's case, the shows weren't cropped to 4:3 for SD broadcast, Paramount just made non-anamorphic 4:3 tapes for the show and people were able to see the show in 16:9).

I wouldn't completely trust my memory about the way season 1 looked on my old 36" HDTV in 2004 when Smallville started airing on HDNet, but if you want to check, season 1 episodes are available in HD from iTunes and Amazon. It's been seven years, so I can't remember if there was a drop in quality when the effects kicked in, but I do seem to remember those episodes generally looking terrific, at least by my standards at the time.
    But are those episodes in 720p or 1080p? You have to remember that broadcast 720p is closer to DVD/Blu-Ray 480p than Blu-Ray 720p, due to the amount of compression that the stations have to apply to the picture in order to send it. Plus I think iTunes, from the other HD shows I've downloaded, uses 720p.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just over at tvshowsondvd.com, and Warner Brothers has given them an answer as to why the earlier seasons of Smallville are not available on Blu-Ray (and as far as Season 5 goes, Warner Brothers is saying that it is possible to put the season on Blu-ray right now, but WB just doesn't feel like releasing it on Blu-Ray right now):

Quote Originally Posted by tvshowsondvd.com/Warner Brothers

• "The special effects were created and output for standard definition broadcast using the tools and formats of that time. Elevating the special effects to an acceptable level for HD may require going back to original film elements and re-creating new special effects from scratch to marry with the film elements, which is extremely costly."

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sma...#ixzz1Ks5NlPqe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i saw that not too long ago. If they arent gonna do it which i do see them doing as a perfect way to double dip as the series is coming to wraps, i'd imagine that they would take the time to do it on top that they are re-releasing the original Superman Saga onto blu-ray. If they arent gonna do it now,i doubt we'll see it anytime soon.
    Sincerely,
    Jason Hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You also have to remember that Warner Brothers has another sci-fi sfx-heavy series that fans want to see on Blu-ray, besides Smallville, and that is Babylon 5, but it's also in the same predicament. So, I wouldn't be surprised if, whenever Warner Brothers does one, they announce the next one a few months after the "test" one has been completed.