Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Because it's in the name of the thing, they have to deliver on four points. In no particular order:
    They must be turtles.
    They must be ninjas.
    They must be teenagers either in age or spirit.
    They must be mutants.

I'm open to it if they deliver on all that and want to up it a notch for some reason.
    TMNT from Mars!
    That would be fine, especially if it's like "We were hatched on Mars but grew up in Brooklyn."

If you take the New York out of them, that's as bad as taking the mutant out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    I just read up on the IDW origin and what the shell... reincarnation? Well thats a new one. They are aparently still mutants and that's one thing that should remain the same as it would be like making the X-Men or Spider-Man aliens when they are earthlings that mutated. Being run of the mill pet turtles is part of what makes the story endearing and satirical to other comics. Making them turtleoids from another planet is just way too drastic a change. So hopefully the alien origin refers to how they mutated as oppose to where they came from.

If radioactive chemicals is too 1980s then do like Spider-Man and involve genenetic engineering. That should sufficiently update the origin of their mutations.
    I think you're right about them starting as regular turtles.
    One thing I don't like about super heroes who come from alien worlds is when everyone from that world has super powers. It's not so bad with Krypton because it's such an unusual planet, and there are only a couple survivors left.
    But if you get the idea that there are millions back home just like them, they don't seem so special.
    There needs to be something that makes them a cut above the rest.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAnarchist View Post
    Real Adventures of Johnny Quest - but that's not too important right now.
    Which episode?

What's important is bashing Bay for thinking he can have anything to do with writing anything about this iconic achievement of America (and Bay claims to be a patriot? Humph!).
    Um, It's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Whatever artistic aspirations it had are pretty well gone in the eyes of the public, replaced by the images of the cheesy 80s cartoon series. Look, I appreciate that there's a good and bad way to do pulp fiction, but we're not talking about Bergman here.

Like I sad before, he should stick to making B-rate cop fare. And even then, it's only guilty pleasure at best IMHO!
    He'll stick to whatever makes him and his multimillionaire studios money.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
    For the last time, Bay…is not.. writing or directing… this movie, so I wish people would lay off him and this is coming from someone who has no love for him as a filmmaker.
    To be fair (for lack of a better word), the stuff Bay has a producer credit on has the same sort of aesthetic as his films. He picks music video directors like he was and the films are full of impossibly photogenic people and a generally poor reception at best. I've only seen some, like the Nightmare On Elm Street remake, which was a horrible film. The fact that his name is in the credits means he'll have some influence over the picture, and will likely hire people with similar though processes. Incidentally, Jonathan Liebesman's last project, Battle: Los Angles, was a film I have seen, and it was wretched.

And I personally trust the word of the guys who actually created the Turtles over a bunch of people who know about the story of movie aside from a very brief video.
    Yes, well, Dave Gibbons was fully behind the Watchmen film, doesn't mean I can't feel it's flawed or disagree with him. Plus, I think the large paychecks these people get might initially cloud their views....

Quote Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
    I wish Bay would go back to making terrible movies with original stories instead of ruining franchises people care about.
    A few points here. First, 80s nostalgia is in right now. It's a key property from that period, so it seems an obvious choice. Two, Bay=money, and lots of it. Hollywood is full of makers of big, glossy action blockbusters: Rob Cohen, Zach Snyder, Gore Verbinski, Stephen Summers, McG, Brett Ratner, Tony Scott, Simon West, Roland Emmerich, the list goes on and on. NONE of them are successful as Michael Bay. Outside of the very top tier of those guys (Spielberg, Cameron), pretty much no one is. Michael Bay has finger firmly on the pulse of what people want. Yes, we can go on a long rant about the decline of western civilization and the declining standards of audiences, but the fact of the matter is, Bay is attached to these projects because he will make money for them, hand over fist. Hell, Jonathan Liebesman's last film was shredded by critics, but it still made the studio a killing. And make no mistake, no matter how much flak he gets from fanboys, it doesn't matter. Many of them will go see the film. Yes, they will whine, they will criticize, but if they have your money, why should they care? If you care, make a stand. When you go to the cinema with the two hours pay it costs to see a film now, say "I know the track records of this director/producer. Do I want to spend money on this?" But of course people won't. They'll pay to see it like I paid IMAX prices to see Pirates 4 and Transformers 3, films I swore I wouldn't pay for and the world didn't need because the hype swayed me. And in the end, it won't matter anyway. What happens on the Internet has zero correlation with anything that goes on in reality. Even if everyone who posted on these sights boycotted these films, it wouldn't make any difference. We do not matter.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm surprised by the amount of coverage this is getting on news websites. It gives you the impression Bay just wanted to raise some shell. Well it succeeded in getting people to talk about the movie.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Chaotix12345 is offline Let's-a Go! Ku Ku Ku!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The director gives his piece on the situation. This particular quote is especially important:

"Look, it's so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze. Now I'm not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we're sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don't know, but we are like Michael said: we're expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it."

Sooooo...it looks like the alien thing is a load of bunk. Kind of makes all of the FANRAEG pretty funny in hindsight.
    Official Reporter for Herotaku, home of the latest tokusatsu news!

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was probably done to get a lot of fan rage and some free publicity. So now a lot of people now know they're making a new Turtles movie as well as who's doing it, without them having to spend money on marketing.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    It was probably done to get a lot of fan rage and some free publicity. So now a lot of people now know they're making a new Turtles movie as well as who's doing it, without them having to spend money on marketing.
    Yeah it would not surprise me if this was intentional. Michael Bay's said or done several things that makes me think that when it comes to marketing, he's a sly bastard.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But at the same time it mostly came as a negative thing even if he got free marketing still we know how the new movie will end up when it comes to Michael Bay.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not so fast. Yes, the ooze is alien, but that's not what Bay said. He outright said they came from an alien race. He never said anything about the ooze being alien. Yes, as some have said this may be intentional, but I don't know. I have a gut feeling that Liebsman may just be covering Bay's tracks.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Up until the whole alien race bit, I actually forgot that Michael Bay was involved in this movie. I'm not familiar with the other movies he's worked on though. Given the amount of outrage over his comments, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was setup to get people to know that a TMNT movie is coming out in the not too distant future. I don't know if that's the case or if they really are going to make them aliens, but I really hope it was a setup. The idea of making them aliens just seems weird and really unnecessary. Hopefully, when they release a trailer, we can get a better idea of how the movie will be than Bay's comments.

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If this was all just a red herring to get people outraged, does that mean that there is nothing else about the movie that will cause fan outrage?
    Not even Casey Jones and April O'Neil being the Shia LeBeouf and some hot chick of the film?
    Do they really need to invent things?
    Announcing bandana colors is enough to cause a large segment of fan outrage.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Liebesman never actually denied the alien race issue. He only seems to be parroting and reinforcing what Bay said on his website after.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New update from Kevin Eastman:

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the notes, and I do look forward to sharing more with you on the upcoming film as the work pace picks up--but I have a funny idea I love you all to try for me--I was over at the official Ninja Turtle website eight months ago doing some research on what kinds of stories have been explored in the 300 (plus) cartoon shows we did and most of you grew up on--why don't you cruise around the show synopsis' and let me know if you see anything there you'd like included in the film. Looking forward to your thoughts! K

"...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Dank is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Storyboard comics predicts Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles.
    http://storyboardcomics.blogspot.ca/2012/03/this-is-what-i-expect-michael-bays.html

Ducard is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Liebesman never actually denied the alien race issue.
    It's a nice lil' dodge that doesn't actually address the main concern.

HOLLYWOOD: And for our next movie, Peter Parker is an alien. That way, his backstory will be richer and more complex than ever before.

FANS: Wait, what?!

HOLLYWOOD: Oh geez, true fans would know that Spider-man touched black alien ooze in the comics. The movie will be, um, expanding on that general idea, or something. Stop speculating.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Laird
    I read the director's comments and found them to be vague and open to different interpretations... one of the most obvious of which is, sadly, that the Turtles are from an alien race. Which is exactly what Michael Bay said. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Ducard; 03-26-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added quote
    "The bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." --Anton Ego, Ratatouille

langden alger is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dank View Post
    He most likley saved us all the price of admission.
    'the past becomes settled in the present. the only place it truly exists.'

"There are two kinds of men in this world. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

"in a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane."

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah seriously, it's nothing but corporate double-speak. Politicians and the heads of Bioware do it all the time .
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

CyclonatorZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dank View Post
    The moment I saw the first panel, I knew this was going to be good. Every Michael Bay movie has to have a Pentagon shot somewhere - preferably at the very beginning.

The reveal of the turtles also got a huge laugh out of me, until I realized how horrifying it was. You just know Bay's going to take Mikey's surfer dude personality and twist it into something unspeakable.

"Two thousand five hundred tons of awesome!" Dr. Newton Geiszler, accurately summing up Pacific Rim.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With the title being just Ninja Turtles they can mess around with a lot of things but I am willing to believe they will still be teenage mutants.

That comic among other protest art amuses me greatly.

I've seen people suggest if they want to do a movie about alien anphibians they should make Battletoids. I quite agree LOL.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Michael Bay talks the title (official confirmation, it is Ninja Turtles) and insists we're going to love this movie.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=57008

"Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in the movie. This script is being developed by two very smart writers, with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE'S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN."
    I don't mind the title to be honest. I always referred to them as the Ninja Turtles rather than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and still do. I always love how people dangle the fact that the director or producer or whatever is a huge fan of the property, so it can't possibly suck. I have no doubt Liebsman is a fan. He would have been 11 when the show premiered, so why not? But...
    -Spidey fan Sam Raimi directed Spider-Man 3
    -Joel Schumacher was a huge Batman fan growing up
    -Andrew Stanton is an huge fan of John Carter of Mars (I didn't like the movie, I know a lot of people did)
    -Benicio del Toro says the original Wolfman is one of his favourite movies.
    Any fan can make crap if they get paid enough, or if the script is misguided. It's nice if they appreciate the property, but really doesn't matter a lot.

Gold Starz is offline "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regarding the title...

They aren't turtles... By being aliens, that means they are mutant turtles. For some reason, people only seem to drop the 'mutant' but the mutant can't exist without the turtle part and vice versa because they're mutated turtles. So, the real title should be TAN: Teenage Alien Ninjas (and even then the ninja is pushing it). I'm not even really a fan, but I'm upset at Bay just for doing this to a fandom because I could totally relate if they did it to something I like.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast