0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    The Guard is offline No Matter The Cost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Training Day" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

The only thing more dangerous than the line being crossed, is the cop who will cross it.

"You get the wolf to protect the sheep. And it takes a wolf to get a wolf." - Alonzo Harris

Release Date: October 5, 2001 (re-release: February 22, 2002)
    Studio: Warner Bros.
    Director: Antoine Fuqua
    Starring: Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke, Eva Mendes, Charlotte Ayanna, Tom Berenger, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Dr. Dre, Scott Glenn

Plot Summary: Every day, there is a war being waged on America’s inner city streets – a war between residents, drug dealers and the people sworn to protect one from the other. This war has its casualties, none greater than L.A.P.D. Detective Sergeant Alonzo Harris (Washington), a 13-year veteran narcotics officer whose questionable methodology blurs the line between legality and corruption. His optimism has long since been chipped away by his tour of duty in the streets, where fighting crime by the book can get you killed, and getting the job done often requires Alonzo and his colleagues to break the laws they are empowered to enforce. A gritty, realistic drama set in the morally ambiguous world of undercover police investigation, "Training Day" shadows Alonzo as he tests the resolve of idealistic rookie Jake Hoyt (Hawke), who has one day and one day only to prove himself to his fiercely charismatic superior. Over the next 24 hours, Jake will be pulled deeper and deeper into the ethical mire of Alonzo’s logic as both men put their lives and career on the line to serve their conflicting notions of justice.

Visit the official movie site here.

Buy the movie!

Comments?
    Edited by The Penguin

Wow. Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke just blow you away.

Anyone see this?

Failure is offline Entertainment Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Training Day

Originally posted by The Guard
    Wow. Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke just blow you away.

Anyone see this?
    Yeah, I saw it in theaters. It's out on DVD now right? Great movie, except for the trmendously convoluted ending, but still very entertaining and Denzel and Ethan Hawke were great. If it weren't for Ian McKellen I'd say Hawke desreves best supporting actor. Denzel should get the Oscar for his performance, hands down.

The Guard is offline No Matter The Cost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A lot of the greatness of Denzel's character was that right up to the Mexican scene, you think he might be a half-decent cop.

James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember this move being <a href="http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10807">recommend</a> to me way back in October, and I thought it was a good movie then, and it still is now. Aside from the moediocre ending, I thought the movie just kicks butt! The acting is amazing, and I think Washington has a great chance to win the Oscar this weekend for his performance. Hawke doesn't have a shot in hell, but Washington does...

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just rented this on DVD and this is a great movie. God, I hope Denzel pulls the upset over Russel Crowe for best actor. I really wish the additional scenes AND the alternate ending had been put in the theatrical release. But, that's what's so great about DVD. The alternate ending REALLY needed to be the one they should have gone with. The additional scenes were great. They showed more of Denzel and Ethan on patrol. The last deleted scene showed Ethan Hawke walking out of the house where the Mexicans almost killed him. One of them says he was supposed to kill him in front of his house with his wife and kid watching.

The Clown Prince
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got around to seeing this movie. I gotta say, it really is a great film. I enjoyed all the characters and I think all the actors did a fine job of portraying them. I also liked Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg's cameos, I was half expecting Eminem to show up as well.

Even though Alonzo was the villain, I couldn't help but root for him some of the time. It must've been his charisma, but a lot of things he did and said actually made a lot of sense to me, and he did seem to get results. He was also quite the badass, too bad he created his own downfall though.

Hoyte was kind of a blank character. He seemed just so plain compared to Alonzo who had so much flair. Still though, I can't help buy wonder what he'll do career wise, I doubt he'll be a narc now, which is a shame because I don't think he'll be satisfied doing anything less, now that he's been exposed to the corruption and darkness of it all.

All in all, a great film and I'm glad Denzel got an Oscar for this role.

DarkAngel is offline Lord Vader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Even though Alonzo was the villain, I couldn't help but root for him some of the time. It must've been his charisma, but a lot of things he did and said actually made a lot of sense to me, and he did seem to get results. He was also quite the badass, too bad he created his own downfall though.
    I think this is my favorite Denzel Washington performance. And, yeah, the character had charisma. So I can understand you feeling that way. But, I think part of the issue is Ethan Hawke, as you've noted. I didn't find his character particularly likeable. He was bland and didn't do much for me. He could have used more charisma.

Hoyte was kind of a blank character. He seemed just so plain compared to Alonzo who had so much flair. Still though, I can't help buy wonder what he'll do career wise, I doubt he'll be a narc now, which is a shame because I don't think he'll be satisfied doing anything less, now that he's been exposed to the corruption and darkness of it all.
    If you haven't, you might want to check out Brooklyn's Finest. Hawke's in that one, but unlike in this movie, his character is experienced and actually plays more like Alonzo. I found it interesting to compare his characters in these to films, playing cops at opposite ends of the spectrum. I found Hawke much more interesting in that movie than in this one. Now, BF isn't as good a movie as TD (at least, I didn't think so), so I was only bringing it up to compare Hawke between the two.
    There are many ingredients in the stew of annoyance.
    --Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    If you haven't, you might want to check out Brooklyn's Finest. Hawke's in that one, but unlike in this movie, his character is experienced and actually plays more like Alonzo. I found it interesting to compare his characters in these to films, playing cops at opposite ends of the spectrum. I found Hawke much more interesting in that movie than in this one. Now, BF isn't as good a movie as TD (at least, I didn't think so), so I was only bringing it up to compare Hawke between the two.
    I haven't seen it, but I do remember wanting to watch it when the trailers came out as I enjoy films about cops, especially the ones that explore corruption. I don't mind that it probably won't be as good as this movie, since movies don't have to always be great for me to enjoy them.