• 1/2

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smallville "Kandor" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

"My father, he's here on Earth"! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

Smallville #9-7 "Kandor"
    Friday, November 6, 2009 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Jor-El (guest star Julian Sands) mysteriously arrives at the Kent farm searching for his son, Kal-El, but meets Chloe (Allison Mack) instead. Convinced the Blur is Jor-El, Zod (Callum Blue) enlists Tess' (Cassidy Freeman) help in finding him to force him to reveal the secret to his powers. Clark (Tom Welling) realizes Jor-El is alive and on Earth and races to find him before Zod does. Erica Durance and Justin Hartley also star. Jeannot Szwarc directed the episode written by Turi Meyer & Al Septien.

#9.06: "Crossfire"

CWTV.com - Smallville
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was this airing tonight? Wow - oh yeah, it's November. Time flies.

Old Guy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was an odd episode to say the least. They're running out of ideas. I can just picture the writer's room:

Writer #1: How about we bring Jor-El back to life?
    Executive Produce: Um, no. Any other ideas?

Silence.

EP: Okay, then. Jor-El returns, I guess.
    So, if the show ends this season or the next I won't complain.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kryptonian nerve pinch!!

Seriously, weird. O.o
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Hobbes829 is offline The Bad Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i enjoyed the episode. Not great but not horrible either.
    "Iíve followed every part of the Bible! Even the parts that contradict the other parts" - Ned Flanders

"Say Hello... to the Bad Guy" - Razor Ramon

"They say that people mellow with age. However, the older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness." - Thomas Sowell

ABrown is offline Father of twins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought that this episode kind of helped answer some questions that I was having about these Kandorians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So....who is Julian Sands? I'm assuming he's famous for something, but what? Why not simply get the guy who plays Jor-El on the series to play him in the flesh? Is it part of that "don't show Jor-El" rule Smallville has to abide by?

Whatever the reason, I like Mr Sands. He has a gentle look about him, and seeing him on the Kent farm felt like a really special thing. Too bad it was so horribly rushed. Chloe's 2-minute spoiler rundown really didn't seem in character. She's smart enough to see that he isn't aware of a son, or the end of his planet and maybe that means he shouldn't be told, lest it create a time paradox.

Chloe seems very much to be playing Clark's mother this season, and it's not a likeable role. She gets upset with him when he goes off to live his own life, she schemes to get him back together with old friends (Ollie) and she shows up at his house to walk his dog, even though it's a four-hour trip out of her way. Martha should have been the one to meet Jor-El. I'm saying that, and I like Chloe. But this season nine Chloe? I can't say I blame people for not liking her. There isn't much there...

Um...so the Kryptonian Council all agreed to put Jor-El to death, but then after a short speech about his accomplishments - all of which should be known by the Council, one would presume - they do a 180 and suddenly proclaim him a hero...?! This is such dumb writing, it's unbelievable.

However, the explanation for the Kandorians makes sense, so that's good. They're clones, the orb was a fail-safe of sorts...but then, if they didn't want clones running around on earth because they were inferior, then why make clones? Why not just have some tech on the kryptonians that shrinks them down and zaps them into an orb-ship that can then be piloted to earth? I know, I know...you can't argue fake sci-fi logic.

What is it with the sinister, super-in-your-face flirting so many of the characters on this show do? Annoying. We needed a second of Clark recognizing the first real glimpse of his father as he watched the barn tapes with Chloe and Ollie for the anger that followed to have weight.

I really enjoyed the flashback to the creation of the Kryptonian elements, though. Was waiting to hear why exactly Jor-El would have made the orb capable of stripping his son of his powers - when at that point he didn't even have a son, correct? - and destroying the fortress - supposedly built for said nonexistant son - and instead? Origin of Davis. Well, show, you may have brutally wounded my interest in this series by discarding Davis and Sam Witwer, but that was an almost nice callback. Callum really played well off the whole dead son angle, even if I still can't entirely like him because he comes off like a thug.

Cool moment with Clark attacking Tess. Hate her pink jammies though. And how could she talk if she were being held by the throat, though? It's the simple stuff Smallville, that makes the big difference. Nice tie-up from last year's whole "admit you're an alien" bit, even if the whole editor Tess angle has been so far absent from the season. Smart move to pull the camera away before it's really clear that Tom isn't doing any real crying. That was overwraught. But Jor was nice. Miss him.

So...does Clark know Jor was only a clone? Why didn't we get a scene at the Fortress so El could explain how he was in two places at once? I mean, I get that El is a computer and Jor is a clone - I'm not dense - but it would have helped clear things up a bit.

Oh goodie - Jor left behind another Kryptonian deus ex machina. Anyone wanna bet it'll help stop Zod in episode 22?

This will be the last season, I'm betting. But at least Smallville had two semi-decent episodes back-to-back. I'll tune in for the Society two-parter, but that'll probably be it for this year. Most of this episode was spent explaining this year's headache-inducing villain presence and trying to explain past continuity elements. Too bad some of the really emotionally moments - Jor-El's chat with Chloe, Clark finally meeting Dad - were glossed over.

EDIT: Have to repost these comments from tv without pity's boards, as they capture my frustrations brilliantly.

And this is exactly the reason I'm no longer watching. The character destruction and random plot contrivance done just to line up with romantic Iconic Density, not to mention the utter inability of the "writers" to sustain any sort of momentum in an ongoing plot arc or to develop any deep motivation (beyond "oh the angst") for any of these people: Nothing shown on screen will necessarily be deemed to be relevant in the next couple of episodes; The constant waffling of everyone - Clark, Oliver, Chloe, Tess, even Lois - depending on what is needed for a particular scene; Explanations that make no sense or are contradicated a week later; They're never going to get any better and no amount of fanwanking is going to explain what is on screen except abysmal writing and a "vision" that only involves stretching this out for a long as possible. To me those answers by KS point to the flailing they're doing in trying to comprehend why the people who are no longer watching have chosen to do so. Two words, dear, Lousy Writing.

Having the EP's appear in interviews to hint at yet more failed relationship futures for characters like Chloe only serves to drive my interest in the show even further down.

I don't want her paired up with some random love interest. I don't care. Get her back in journalism again, and I might watch the second half of the season. But pairing her up with Random Dude #8 doesn't matter to anyone. And why exactly can't she have screen time unless she's paired up with a guy? Before Jimmy, she had plenty of screentime without being paired up. What is with these producers and their absurd focus on "romance"?

Regarding being Superman: Though THIS 'Superman' is capable of brushing off first degree murder so cavalierly and even offer emotional support to the murderer, his best friend is treated much more severely for what I feel is the lesser crime of trying to save Davis when he was not worthy of being saved (a judgment that some might argue was not a crime at all, but a striving after the REAL superman's ideal that he should try to save everyone). For that 'crime' Chloe is frozen out by Clark and denied all emotional support at a time when she is mourning for Jimmy, worried about Lois missing , and wracked with guilt about Jimmy's death, which Clark has implicitly blamed her for. Clark continues to treat her coldly and pretend to "Kryptonian" indifference even while he's indulging in human telephone dalliances with Lois. The emotional hell Chloe went through has apparently warped her; she seems to have swallowed wholesale Clark's idea that she was wrong to try to save Davis and that the end (saving the world) DOES in fact justify the means (doing harm and injustice to one to save many). And the plotline seems to indicate that she's carrying these ideas out, making ever more morally ambiguous decisions. But Clark, even though he's more or less reverted to his previous 'human' (albeit dickish) attitude, has never bothered to sit down and tell her that he was wrong; that the end DOESN'T necessarily justify the means. Even though he had the perfect opening when he heard about how Metallo's sister was killed because Clark made a decision to save a killer similar to the one Chloe made to save Davis, he didn't tell her, "You know, that thing with Metallo's sister got me thinking about what happened to Davis. Maybe you should have done things differently to try to save him, just like I should've been more careful when I saved the prison bus and let one of the violent felons inside escape. But I still think that trying to save them was the right thing to do, and I think your heart was in the right place when you tried to save Davis." Instead, he light-heartedly ignores the fact that he left her without help for the worst month of her life and doesn't ever bother to inquire if it left any marks on her. And yeah, I know Chloe is in the end responsible for her own moral decisions, but that doesn't absolve Clark of his own abdication of his responsibilities as her friend. If he's the REAL Superman, he ought to be held to a higher moral standard. Instead, the morality of the Smallville universe seems to depend on whatever Clark's whims are at any given moment, and I can't see that as Supermanly.

Regarding Clois: I had a friend that stopped watching asking me about SV today and I told her: "do you remember how bad Clana was? If you watch S9 you will wish Clana was back..." so yeah on the same train.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 11-08-2009 at 02:43 AM.

k.s. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this was another great episode but it still had some minor flaws. The biggest one was the retcon involving Zod's family - that his wife and child died in Kandor 20 years before the destruction of Krypton instead of his wife being sent to the Phantom Zone with him and his "son" being Doomsday as we saw in Bloodline last year. Somehow, this didn't turn out to be that big a deal for me though since I still found myself thoroughly enjoying the story. The Krypton flashbacks were also my favorite parts of the episode, so I'm willing to be more forgiving than usual for continuity errors in those scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Um...so the Kryptonian Council all agreed to put Jor-El to death, but then after a short speech about his accomplishments - all of which should be known by the Council, one would presume - they do a 180 and suddenly proclaim him a hero...?! This is such dumb writing, it's unbelievable.
    If that was what actually happened, I would agree with you that that would be exceptionally stupid writing. Thankfully, that's not what happened at all. The council made it clear that Jor-El was being sentenced to death for treason since he decided to put an end to the "orb project" despite the fact that he had no authority to do so. When Zod intervened, they did not release Jor-El because Zod listed off his accomplishments. They obviously knew that Jor-El was the top scientist of Krypton. The council released him because Major Zod (presumably a major player on Krypton at that time given the council's reaction to his entrance) vouched for Jor-El and explained that while Jor-El's actions would normally be unacceptable, given the destruction of Kandor and the loss of numerous Kryptonian scientists, it would not be prudent to kill off yet another scientist (especially their top one, at that) for such a minor incursion (compared to what else was going on at the time).

So...does Clark know Jor was only a clone? Why didn't we get a scene at the Fortress so El could explain how he was in two places at once? I mean, I get that El is a computer and Jor is a clone - I'm not dense - but it would have helped clear things up a bit.
    This is another minor problem I noticed. It's not clear what Clark knows about them at this point, but I would say it is most logical for him to believe that the Kandorians on Earth are the real deal until he is given reason to believe they are clones. This leads us to a very confusing point, though - if Clark thinks that the Kandorians are the same as him, why did he not question why Jor-El died while bathed in the yellow sun? More importantly, why is he not seriously worried that Zod is back on Earth presumably with the full powers of a Kryptonian? Smallville's history has shown us that other than Lex and maybe Brainiac, Zod is one of this Superman's biggest villains. Hopefully we'll see Clark take a more active role in seeking out Zod in Pandora.

Edit: DisneyBoy, just out of curiosity, where on the TWOP forums did you find this quote: "To me those answers by KS point to the flailing they're doing in trying to comprehend why the people who are no longer watching have chosen to do so." Assuming that the KS is me, I'm interested in seeing the full context of the discussion and which quote that person was talking about. I just tried searching through the forums but I wasn't able to find it.
    Last edited by k.s.; 11-08-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    please stop posting things from people on another board. The problem i have with these guys is that they seem to be intent on complaining about a show and yet continually watching it. Clark and Lois are nothing like Lana and Clark. That was painful to watch towards the end. This is more mature. They aren't remotely on the same train as Lana and Clark.

Some of the things in this season are starting to come into focus.

As for chloe and clark's relationship, WAIT! we have a 22 episode season to cover that material. Not everything has to be done immediately. I do agree with that one assessment about getting her back into journalism. This is out of her depth and completely contrived. either that, or get her off the show.
    "Iíve followed every part of the Bible! Even the parts that contradict the other parts" - Ned Flanders

"They say that people mellow with age. However, the older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness." - Thomas Sowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hobbes, I can't deny that the majority of the tv without pity posters seem really annoyed with the series, but that's an opinion I share. I still check the show out. It's Superman - people love the character, so even if this series has mangled him many, many, many times over in the last nine years, curiosity will still bring you back to see if maybe, just maybe the writers did something right this week. While watching Crossfire and Kandor back-to-back, I walked away from the computer at least four times, bored and disinterested. The only scene that really had my interest was the flashback to the creation of the crystals. So when I see someone agreeing with me and expressing themselves in a fashion I find insightful and clear, I might want to share that with the readers here, to see if anyone else agrees, or simply to spark discussion about the episode. Believe me, I'm not posting the really angry stuff...

I don't know if you've noticed, but these talkback threads this season have been really dead compared to even last year's, nevermind season one or two threads. People have given up so much on this show, they don't even criticize it here at Toonzone anymore. What's the use? The producers are working with blinders on (Lana with superpowers? Lois macking on everyone? Jimmy being Henry? Chloe's Dad disappearing to never again be mentioned? Clark being unable to see someone standing twelve feet away from him when there's nothing else in the clearing but a small grave? Him never really studying journalism? Him abandoning a friend who was just widowed?) and until they step back, listen to viewers (the way they seemed to be doing last year) and start trying to write with some consistency and quality again, this show's entertainment value is barely more than that of watching a real trainwreck.

But I always give credit where it's due. Sands was quite good as Jor, Callum's dead-son request bit worked well...and um....yeah.

As for chloe and clark's relationship, WAIT! we have a 22 episode season to cover that material. Not everything has to be done immediately.

Sure, fine, easy for you to say - you hate Chloe You're not even complaining about the narrative inconsistencies between last year and this one. In HEX, Chloe inspired Clark to make his super-leap, reminding him of the person he is. In this year's premiere, suddenly Lois is the center of Clark's mind, the reason he doesn't fly and the only person he's going to keep in his life when he gets moody? Um...what?

I've said this before, but to me Chloe is one of the few reasons I still had hope for this series and eventually came back to it. And this year, while dealing with two deaths she surely feels guilty over, Clark walked away from her to make goo-goo eyes over Lois. The show is literally treating her like dirt. I was willing to suspend disbelief last season when Chloe wanted a break from journalism. But now? She's a tech girl/sidekick with no life and - as you've pointed out - little purpose on the series, simply because the writers now want to phase her out and turn Lois into what Chloe has been this entire series long; Clark's good friend/possible love interest/serious journalist/fan favorite character. It's sickening, really. People loved and still love Chloe. This Lois hardly won people over in as big a fashion. So no...waiting through another ten episodes of Lois and her wig and Clark and his stupid black coat before Chloe maybe gets back some of the focus she had last year...ain't enough.

Edit: DisneyBoy, just out of curiosity, where on the TWOP forums did you find this quote: "To me those answers by KS point to the flailing they're doing in trying to comprehend why the people who are no longer watching have chosen to do so." Assuming that the KS is me, I'm interested in seeing the full context of the discussion and which quote that person was talking about. I just tried searching through the forums but I wasn't able to find it.

If your name is Kelly Souders, executive producer for Smallville who recently did a Q+A about the show for EW I believe it was, then yes...they're talking about you. I was going through the spoiler threads yesterday when I think I came across that quote, so I think it's in reference to this Michael Aussiello interview:

Question: Why has Allison Mack had so little screen time on Smallville this season? —Kathy
    Ausiello: The calm before the storm, perhaps? “Chloe fans will not be disappointed,” Souders maintains. “There will be some budding romance in her life from an unexpected source.”

And if you really are Kelly Souders - boy do we need to talk :anime:

If not - welcome to Toonzone anyways! I'm generally not nearly as grumpy as I sound here. See, I even unearthed the post I was referring to:

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....12634&st=67350

Scroll down - it was written by pyralis.

The council released him because Major Zod (presumably a major player on Krypton at that time given the council's reaction to his entrance) vouched for Jor-El and explained that while Jor-El's actions would normally be unacceptable, given the destruction of Kandor and the loss of numerous Kryptonian scientists, it would not be prudent to kill off yet another scientist (especially their top one, at that) for such a minor incursion (compared to what else was going on at the time).

Okay...but that still doesn't make the Council seem any less dumb. Killing the man who decided not to finish the project isn't a reasonable way to get what you want. They knew he was the best scientist on Krypton, and they thought killing him and scrapping the whole project would get them ahead...how? The way the scene plays out, as is, it reads as though Zod was reminding the nimrods that Jor was too good to kill off. Well, no kidding! He's the only person who was single-handedly trying to save the Kandorians!

It would be one thing if the Council was pleading with Jor to change his moral stance, and Zod offered up some assurance that he could convince Jor to change his mind, or just plain changed Jor's mind right there, therefore sparing them from having to kill him - or even if the Council was shown in some subtle way to be "carrying out the law" and playing bad cop, all the while relying on Zod to come in and play good cop and give them a plausible enough excuse to circumvent the law. But that wasn't how it played out. It was more like "We can't get the toaster to work so we're going to burn down the house." "But then you won't have a toaster or a house." "So okay, we'll just TELL the toaster to work instead. And not burn down the house. And maybe that'll do it." At least to me.

The biggest one was the retcon involving Zod's family - that his wife and child died in Kandor 20 years before the destruction of Krypton instead of his wife being sent to the Phantom Zone with him and his "son" being Doomsday as we saw in Bloodline last year.

There's no way you're Kelly Souders if you're asking these questions The implied idea in Kandor is that Zod once had a wife and child, lost them, begged Jor to help bring them back, Jor said no, so Zod went and remarried later to Faora and cooked up his own clone baby thing to send to earth. Doesn't really explain why he'd want his son to kill all humanity though, as explained in "Legion" (maybe just clark would have sufficed?) or why Zod would want Brainiac to take all the knowledge afterwards and just destroy the planet...but hey! It's Smallville! Why give myself a headache?

Palin Dromos is offline The Abyss Stares Back
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ack! I guess I better post my thoughts, these threads are kinda sparse this season.

The explanation of the Kandorians' origins as clones is pretty much what I expected. Though I really appreciated the Blue K explanation of their de-powered state.

The councils' scene was a kinda clumsy, but they needed some way for Jor-El to be indebted to Zod. I suppose they could have done something in the battle trenches where Zod saves Jor-El, but that's pretty darn cliche.

Also the ruling council of Krypton, through many iterations of the mythos, has been rather thick headed and myopic. They always dismiss Jor-El's claims that Krypton is going to be destroyed. They believe themselves to be completely in control of their world and capable of dealing with any threat. (Politicians are Politicians the universe over.)

You raise good question DB, when did Clark learn the Kandorians were clones and not time travelers? I don't know. Obviously after this episode he knows, since I'm sure Jor-El explained the experiment to Chole and (I trust) she explained it to Clark.

In reference to Chloe's current characterization and arc. I kinda feel they are setting her up to eventually break with Clark and Oliver and setup as the head of an organization like the DCAU Cadmus or the comics Checkmate, kind of as an Amanda Waller type character. Not exactly a villain, but someone who feels she doing what's right for the world through manipulation and spying. Now I realize you'll probably hate that idea DB, but considering Chloe's presence in the comics has never come to fruition (there have been some false starts) having her be a shadow figure could be woven into the comics if they so wished.
    Also if Clark has a history of pushing friends away (Lex, Oliver, Pete and now Chole) what is the unexplored outcome? Lex turns evil, Oliver wavers but come back to the hero side, Pete runs away, so what's a dramatic and compelling course for Chloe? Aside from killer her off, I think we can agree that would be a cheap/easy way out. And knowing that TPTB are still beholden to the popular mythology, where Chloe doesn't have a role. She can't still be Clark's sidekick, when Superman does step on stage, Lois and Jimmy will kinda fill those roles.

Anyway back to "Kandor," I believe Julian Sands was cast because he looks nominally similar to Terrance Stamp and there was no way they could afford to actually get TS to be in the episode. I was acutally surprised they didn't just cast Tom in the role again, with some make-up. Though I guess that last scene, with Clark holding Jor-El, would have looked laugh out loud ridiculous if they went that route.

One of the questions that's getting a lot of play over at the K-site boards has to do with the Crystals of Knowledge. They're shown with Jor-El and the orb on Krypton 20 years before it's destruction, so how could they have been buried in ancient Egypt, China and South America as insinuated in season 4? It's further complicated by the season 3 episode "Relic", which is referenced in "Kandor", where a much younger looking Jor-El visits 1960's Smallville. Most people over on those boards are saying time travel has to be involved, which I can buy. But that's quite a continuity snaffu, when I'd guess they were just trying to give a bit of a shout out to older continuity. Silly writers, it's like they're trying, but not hard enough sometimes.

Clark's reunion with Jor-El was too short, but that's usually the case when Kal-El and Jor-El actually meet. Still a bummer.

Enjoyed Clark finally putting aside pretenses with Tess. It'll allow for another layer of difference in the Clark/Tess relationship versus the Clark/Lex one.

With the ratings actually going up, I guess there is a chance for season 10. Who'd a thunk? Even Friday's can't kill Superman!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's been talk all season from sites saying not to count a Season Ten out because Smallville is still doing better than much of The CW.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lois is also a fan favorite. She was only supposed to be there for 4 episodes in season 4 but the feedback was so good that they kept her. Clark and Lois have slowly developed a deep relationship, and now there's nothing keeping themselves apart aside from themselves. Chloe and clark together would be vanilla. Lois and clark is wild cherry.

Chloe was never meant as a love interest for clark. Deep friends, fine, but never anything more. She's had focus for 8+ years, even when her husband had just gotten mauled by doomsday.

As for clark not seeing anyone in the woods, he could've just chalked it up to a dear or something, who knows?

As bad as comic book logic is and some of the logical loopholes in this series have been, i'm enjoying this season. It's definitely better than season 7.

Generally, every show drops in viewership after a certain number of years. Not neccessarily due to quality. This show has its moments but it's never been consistantly great.

k.s. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, I guess I look pretty foolish right about now. I just assumed they were referring to me. It never occurred to me that the person was actually talking about Kelly Souders.

With the council, I just saw it that they were merely following the Kryptonian law with regards to treason. While they needed Jor-El to complete the orb, the council was forced to enforce the law and only decided to change their judgement when Zod explained that the severity of the situation on Krypton meant that rules had to be bent, especially when they desperately needed Jor-El despite his defiance. Obviously the council knew that they needed Jor-El; they were just honor-bound as councilmen to enforce the law.

And I had actually thought of the idea that Zod just remarried after his original wife died. While this would resolve any potential continuity errors, I have a hard time believing that any man, forget Zod, would have the time to fall in love and get married while he was a military leader fighting a war on a planet literally on the brink of destruction. But like I said earlier, this didn't bother me at all while I was watching the episode, so I have no problems accepting this explanation - it certainly seems to be the simplest and most logical of all possibilities.

I thought the rest of the Zod stuff is pretty straightforward though. He sent Davis to Earth to kill the humans so that they could make way for a New Krypton once Brainiac had freed him from the Phantom Zone. And Brainiac was only Zod's lap dop in Season 5 - starting in Season 7, I thought it was obvious that he was a free agent by that time.

I really appreciate the welcome, but I've really been around these forums for quite a number of years now. I've just never felt any real desire to actually post anything until recently. Still, I do appreciate it.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just thinking, what is the name of Zod's female soldier? Could that possibly be Faora?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Obviously the council knew that they needed Jor-El; they were just honor-bound as councilmen to enforce the law.

There's enforcing the law, and then there's trying to save your race. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention enough to the specifics of the Kandorian war. If at that point, Krypton itself wasn't threatened, then why even try to save a small group of people by cloning them. Did Jor even know yet of the impending destruction of the planet? In this continuity, does Zod basically create a nuclear situation that destroys everyone, or does the planet self-destruct on it's own?

This series is a perfect example of why it's so important not to make things up as you go along.

Could that possibly be Faora?

I haven't watched every episode, but I do think a Faora was cast this season. Maybe you've seen Alia, the gal from the premiere?

He sent Davis to Earth to kill the humans so that they could make way for a New Krypton once Brainiac had freed him from the Phantom Zone.

Okay...but obviously he didn't create Davis with Faora while in the Phantom Zone - he had to do it before. So when he was creating Doomsday/Davis, it was before Clark's ship, and before he was in the Zone. Wait, how did Zod cause Krypton to be destroyed if he was trapped within the Zone before it happened? Argh! *headache*

All this to say, Brainiac made it sound in season eight that they were supposed to be working in tandem, as per Zod's plans. Brainiac has never really been shown to be his own free agent, as such, at least not in my eyes. I'd like to pretend in season eight that he's just doing his own thang and all, cause for once he seemed like his DCAU counterpart, but if he knew about Davis' existance, then Zod must have had some time with him before being sent to the Zone. Wait...if Brainiac knew about Davis, then why did he even BOTHER trying to free Zod back in season five when he could have just called Davis to him, wiped clean the planet and then freed Zod? *pops tylonol* This...hurts.

I really appreciate the welcome, but I've really been around these forums for quite a number of years now.

Ahh, a lurker. Well, welcome nonetheless. Did you bychance do covers for Batman Adventures? I thought I remember the last cover artist having your same initials.

Chloe was never meant as a love interest for clark.

Well, check you DVD collection again, bud, because in SEASON ONE she's a love interest for Clark. I'm not saying they had to end up together (would have been interesting if the series had taken more risks like that but whatever), but don't try and write her off. You might be blinded by mainstream continuity. This show is not that.

As for clark not seeing anyone in the woods, he could've just chalked it up to a dear or something, who knows?

Wo-oooooow! You cut Clark a lot of slack. I call a man with super-sight not seeing the only other person standing eight feet away from him pretty stupid writing.

Chloe and clark together would be vanilla. Lois and clark is wild cherry.

No...Clark and Lex together would be wild cherry (say whaaaaat?) Clark and Chloe together would have been mint chocolate chip. Clark and Lana were rocky road...made with pebbles and dirt. Clark and Lois together is...that, plus lint and dog hair. Ple-ahh!

There's been talk all season from sites saying not to count a Season Ten out because Smallville is still doing better than much of The CW.

Can't be doing better than Top Model. Whatever...I don't think I'm going to get any of things I really want out of this series now before it ends, so what's the point of it going on and spinning more weird variations that still amount to the same thing, only without the internal logic?

My long-time Smallville want list:

-Lana to be humbled and stay that way to regain some of her girl-next-door charm
    -Lionel and Martha's attraction to play out post-Jonathan's death
    -Clark to enjoy using his powers
    -Chloe and Clark's attraction (call it what you will) to be resolved in a way that makes everyone happy
    -Henry Small closure
    -Chloe's Dad returning and his absense being explored
    -Tess' past with the Luthors being detailed (I don't see Rosenbaum or Glover returning in any real likelihood at this point with how the writing is going)
    -Davis being redeemed
    -Chloe's entire motivations for the end of last season (8) being laid out so it's clear that she knows who she really loved and so does everyone else.
    -Kara being used in a fun and appropriate way
    -Pete being used in a fun and appropriate way (fogeddabowdit!)
    -Brainiac looking more like his DCAU counterpart
    -Clark and Lois earning their way to the Daily Planet through education and planning
    -Jor-El's completely different personality circa seasons 2-3 being addressed (was it Brainaic? Why did he try to KILL Jonathan!?)
    -Clark having learned the first second or third times: how to cover up his abilities by lying, not to avoid the women he's interested in, how to say what he really feels, how not to make everything about him when he's not the only person in pain (a trait he shares with Lana), how be confident and self-sufficient, etc....basically how to be a person in your late twenties.
    -Martha's absense making any sort of sense/how is the farm still running at all?
    -Clark and Lex's story having some grand plan that lives up to the chemistry and intrigue of the first few seasons.
    -Lex confronting Chloe about lying about Clark for years.
    -Chloe making good on her promise to Lana that she won't let him become Clark's Isis/rematch of the infamous "Delete" smackdown.
    -Some actually hot love scenes (impossible now since the only candidates are wig Lois and emo Clark)
    -Additional shots of Clark and Doomsday fighting.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. But for that last one - wouldn't EVERYONE love that? If they just set aside a day of shooting, even half a day, and shot three new bits of Clark and Doomsday fighting, so those of us who were stung by last year's finale (and who wasn't!?!) could just edit them into the sequence for our own enjoyment. Wouldn't have to amount to more than 30 additional seconds. Just show us Clark throwing some punches that land...maybe Doomsday knocked into a car that explodes...him tearing someone in half. ANYTHING!

I so totally checked out after last year. What's on YOUR series wish-list?

EDIT: Again, can ANYONE explain to me why Jor would make the orb capable of stripping his imaginary son's powers and bring down his imaginary, non-existant fortress, if found by some earth person? That one should have been address in this episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unrequited love on chloe's part isn't a love interest. It's always been a 1 way street.

- Clark is in his early 20s, not late 20s
    - Lois may have had a relationship with the boss, but he said he hired lois off the strength of her writing.
    - Clark started as an intern, on the bottom rung.

I'd love it if chloe stopped trying to be clever when she talks, and either go away or stop being insert in situations she doesn't belong, like the JL.

You must be the only one that has a problem with Lois to the point where her hair bothers you.

Zod was out of the way before clark looked up. It's not stupid writing, but more like stupid blocking.

Chloe is vanilla. She has no personality. She tries to spin off pop culture references and have quick, witty dialog but she can't pull it off.

The reason Lois and clark work is because of their different personalities. Chloe just looks up to clark and tells him that he's a great guy and a hero, hardly the basis for a great romance on TV.

I do hope this all ends with clark and chloe in opposition. She was at her most interesting when she made that deal with lionel back in season 2, and when she was keeping clark from trapping davis in the PZ and had the gall to blame clark for taking the easy way out.
    Last edited by Hobbes829; 11-09-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Palin Dromos is offline The Abyss Stares Back
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Again, can ANYONE explain to me why Jor would make the orb capable of stripping his imaginary son's powers and bring down his imaginary, non-existant fortress, if found by some earth person? That one should have been address in this episode.
    Okay so here's the explanation I can came up with
    The orb was a Kryptonian back-up copy of some of their best fighters, should they need to re-form their army in a worst case scenario. Jor-El objected to this use of the cloning technology, but went through with it anyway, as seen. He objected to sending the orb to Earth because the resulting Kandorian clones would gain immense power under Earth's yellow sun, so he charged the orb with Blue Kryptonite energy, rendering the Kryptonian DNA un-powered. He then sent the orb to Earth as ordered.
    Later, as Krypton was about to be destroyed and he was prepping the ship to take Kal-El to Earth he sent messages to Earth that were received by Dr. Swan. One of those messages included information on the existence of the orb (which was already definitely on Earth) to be used as a fail-safe in case Kal-El became a threat to Earth. Since it was infused with Blue Kryptonite energy, that energy could be used to strip Kal-El of his powers and make him easier to control (Lots of technology can do more than one thing, iPhone anyone). Jor-El seemed much more worried about Kryptonians misusing the orb than humans so he probably added other security measures initially, hence Brainiac's inability to touch it. As to why the Kal-El/Doomsday fight was needed to release the Kandorians, still can't explain that. But there at least is an explanation of the orb and how it could fit into the current continuity (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes829 View Post
    You must be the only one that has a problem with Lois to the point where her hair bothers you.
    Frankly I'm a big Lois fan and I'm having problems with her hair this season as well, too poofy. Last year was perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Palin, for the orb explanation and the hair backup. Hobbes, I must repeat - you and I are from different planets when it comes to this show. It seems however, that you are not alone on yours...

from ew's site...

Smallville has been over the top insanely good this season...I really love the way Clark has manned up and become a hero. I love Oliver and Clark’s friendship. Love Zod and Tess action. I’m intrigued by Chloe as Watchtower and I’m completely in love with Clark and Lois’ romance. Hottest romance ever on the show. Love Smallville Season 9!

Smallville has long stopped being a guilty pleasure for me and is now a full on obsession. I freaking love it. The sad thing is that I’m sure within minutes this post will be filled with nasty rants bashing the show, Tom Welling, Erica Durance or someone else. I ignore all the haters because frankly I don’t let other people infringe on my enjoyment of the show.

*shakes head* Totally different planets.

- Clark is in his early 20s, not late 20s

He looks to be in his early 30s to me, best case.

- Lois may have had a relationship with the boss, but he said he hired lois off the strength of her writing.

Suuuuuuure he did. Seriously, you can't honestly tell me that you respect Lois at all for that move. Dating the boss at her first serious career position? That's so...trashy.

And lest you forget, Lois has had relationships of sorts with *deep breath* Aquaman, Green Arrow, Metallo, Lex's Clone Brother AND Clark. And maybe even Tess, the way those two keep fighting. Plus, she's been a stripper. And worked for a tabloid. And contrary to your beliefs, shares some of the dumbest lines with her cousin and virtually every other cast member on the show. This is not my Lois Lane. If she's yours, enjoy. She's basically a floozy/moron who isn't cute or funny and has strange hair. There have been times when I liked her, but mostly, she bugs the heck out of me now.

- Clark started as an intern, on the bottom rung.

And how did he get that job, exactly? With a few newspaper clips from HIGH SCHOOL? Are you KIDDING me? Like a paper supposedly as huge as the DP wouldn't have some intern program to go to for people starting on the bottom rung. Oh wait - they did. And CHLOE was part of it.

Chloe just looks up to clark and tells him that he's a great guy and a hero, hardly the basis for a great romance on TV.

*pops a hundred tylonol* Are you serious? Please, Hobbes...don't go to the dark side! TRY and see the show from my perspective! Please...! Before it's TOO LATE!

Liking season nine is like standing too close to the microwave. Or...I don't even know. Metaphor, anyone?

Unrequited love on chloe's part isn't a love interest. It's always been a 1 way street.

Oh SURE, in Rush Clark was totally not immediately telling Chloe his secret and then making out with her for the rest of the episode. He was repelled. Just like he was at the dance at the end of season one, arguably the happiest he's ever looked in the ENTIRE SERIES. Yeah...he just find the idea of Chloe as a romantic partner yucky. *slaps forehead*

I'm going to stop talking now, at least about this. You love Lois, I'll love Chloe, and maybe if we both stop mentioning it here on the boards, neither one will feel like the other is goading them into a debate. Deal? Okay.

But seriously...repent!

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could that possibly be Faora?

I haven't watched every episode, but I do think a Faora was cast this season. Maybe you've seen Alia, the gal from the premiere?
    I believe there are two prominent ladies in Zod's army. One of them the ninja assassin lady who tried to kill Lois, and the other one I'm not sure who she is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast