View Poll Results: Rate and Comment On This Release!

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll

2 50.00%
  • ****1/2

2 50.00%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Watchmen: Director's Cut" DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Experience this ground-breaking film again with the new Watchmen: Director's Cut release on Two-Disc DVD and Blu-ray, with the theatrical version of Watchmen available on Single-Disc DVD!

Watchmen: Director's Cut
    Studio: Warner Home Video
    Release Date: July 21st, 2009

Synopsis: A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. Based on the classic Watchmen graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, when one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the Watchmen?

Bonus Features:
    Blu-ray
    -Watchmen: Director's Cut
    -Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode
    -Watchmen: Focus Points
    -BD Live
    -The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics
    -Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
    -Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
    -Music Video: My Chemical Romance Desolation Row
    -Digital Copy - Theatrical version

Two-Disc Special Edition
    -Watchmen: Director's Cut
    -The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics
    -Watchmen: Video Journals (over 30 min)
    -Music Video: My Chemical Romance Desolation Row
    -Digital Copy - Theatrical Version

Single-Disc Edition
    -Theatrical version of Watchmen
    -Trailers

Please post all discussions and comments about the DVD and Blu-ray in this thread! Please discuss the feature film in the proper talkback, as linked below.

Discuss This DVD/Blu-ray!

Related Threads:
    -Watchmen Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Watchmen Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Watchmen: Director's Cut Blu-ray Review (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Please keep your posts as thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Please keep discussion ON-TOPIC!

xage is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Watchmen so far

still in transit:

Amazon Exclusive Owl Ship
    Futureshop BD Steelbook

peacebyanymeans is offline HORRIBLE FOR EVERYONE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This morning, I received the Blu-ray version of Watchmen: Director's Cut in the mail and turned on my PlayStation 3 and began watching. And after a couple of hours of watching the movie, viewing all the features, and checking out the BD-Live interactive features exclusive to the Blu-ray I have to say I'm pleased with my purchase.

The film itself is the director's cut of the film, adding 24 more minutes to the run time of the film with it clocking in at just over three hours. The movie, just as I felt with the theatrical version four months back, is amazing. The film is incredibly faithful to the novel, albeit a few changes (one pretty big, but I'm not here to review the film itself, but the disc package, so I won't be spoiling anything). So, with that done, I went onto the special features.

Before I talk more about what's one the first disc, I'm going to go over the special features on the second one. The features on the second disc (The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics; Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes; Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World; and the My Chemical Romance "Desolation Row" music video) are okay, but the only ones I was very interested in were the 'Phenomenon' and 'Mechanics' videos, as the 'Vigilantes' feature didn't really focus a whole lot on the film or the graphic novel. These features, however, range from 15-30 minutes long, with a combined length of just over an hour. This is definitely on the short side, and since they're only three of them, you won't putting this disc into your player a whole lot. And as for the music video, well, it's a music video, and quite frankly, I'm not too impressed with it. I'm not a real big My Chemical Romance fan, and the video doesn't seem like it's anything special, even though it was directed by Zack Snyder. However, all these features are in 1080p HD, which is very nice. But after watching all these, I came away unimpressed. it just feels like there should be more here, and as a whole, the entire thing feels little underwhelming.

But, as I said before, I was pleased with my purchase, because where the second disc fails, the first disc exceeds. You can watch the film by itself or with the "Immersive WB Maximum Movie Mode", which is a fancy way of saying picture-in-picture commentary with behind-the-scenes features thrown in. This mode is pretty amazing. Through out the film a number of things will happen on the screen, ranging from comic panels and storyboards appearing during the related scene, to a timeline that shows what events occur in our, as well as, the Watchmen world, to a short, picture-in-picture documentary explaining how the scene was made. There are also times where it will ask if you would like to pause the film to view production photos, or longer behind-the-scene videos. But what is problem the coolest feature, are the times when the screen will zoom out to show Zack Snyder as he talks about the scene, and even compares it with a pre-production or behind-the-scenes video, side-by-side with the film. It's very well done, and looks really good.

When you compare the two discs, it seems like they took a lot of features that would normally be on the second disc and placed them on the first. And while this makes the first disc pretty amazing, especially in the way it's presented, the second disc suffers for it. In fact, it feels like the only reason there is a second disc is because they couldn't fit everything on the first one. Normally, most two disc sets put all the features on the second disc, with almost nothing but the film on the first. But Watchmen: Director's Cut adds a lot of features with the film itself, which makes the second disc feel thin, but if you compare all the features, there is a lot here.

My only real disappointment here is the lack of any real commentary. Sure, Zach Snyder comes on a talks about a scene every once in a while, but it's not during the entire film, only in select scenes. There is supposed commentary with Zack Snyder and Dave Gibbons on the Ultimate Collector's Edition, which comes out late this year, but since I'm talking about this version of the film, it really doesn't matter. There is a sleeve inside for $10 off the Ultimate Edition, just to let you know.

At the end of the day, I would recommend Watchmen: Director's Cut to any fan of the film or Watchmen in general. There is enough here to keep you busy, and the film itself is very entertaining.
    Last edited by peacebyanymeans; 07-24-2009 at 08:25 PM.

defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got my shojo beat refund today, so I was able to get this blu-ray. :anime: Overall I'm pleased. I notice that I have to keep adjusting the volume, but that could just be my television (only has two speakers, not the whole surround setup). The lenticular sleeve is nice (after you remove the stickers ), the visuals are clean, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the extras. I guess this makes up for my car breaking down today.

On a side note, is anyone having trouble with their digital copy? Mine hung up for a while, and I had to restart it. (I eventually got it, but I was curious if it was just my setup.)
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

xage is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Amazon Exclusive Rocks!

The Owl Ship's design was impressive! and its battery operated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1) xage, you're rediculous...and i am jealous of you.

2) who's going to be watching the bd-live zack snyder commentary/q&a from comic con in 45 minutes?
    http://www.novistry.com/comics
    bagged & boredom: a web comic.
    updated every wednesday. new blogs mon. & fri.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be watching it, at least for a little while.

My problem is that since it's so late, I have to watch this is a room with a regular SDTV, and saying the text is hard to read is an understatement.

BlackCat is offline The Dark Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm definitely considering picking this one up. I'm a big comics buff but still haven't seen or read Watchmen. Would you guys recommend reading/watching the GN or motion comic before watching and how big of a quality difference is there between the Blu-ray and DVD versions of the motion comic?

I thought I heard that the Blu-ray version was supposed to include the PS3 downloadable Watchmen game on the disc as well, but I haven't seen any information on it since. The game was supposed to be mediocre, but it would still be a nice inclusion.
    Cat-Tales - The real Gotham After Dark.

defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I'm definitely considering picking this one up. I'm a big comics buff but still haven't seen or read Watchmen. Would you guys recommend reading/watching the GN or motion comic before watching and how big of a quality difference is there between the Blu-ray and DVD versions of the motion comic?

I thought I heard that the Blu-ray version was supposed to include the PS3 downloadable Watchmen game on the disc as well, but I haven't seen any information on it since. The game was supposed to be mediocre, but it would still be a nice inclusion.
    Read the GN first. Otherwise you might be lost. If you want to watch the motion comic, I guess that would suffice. I just can't get past the narration on that one. They should have gotten a female narrator to help out.

I saw that same PS3 rumor somewhere else. Maybe they will do that for the ultimate edition...
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Watchmen video game came out on retail disc for both Xbox 360 and PS3 the day the movie came out. The 360 version has "The End is Nigh" Parts 1 & 2 for $30, but the PS3 comes with those and the movie's Director's Cut for $50. It's basically the first disc of the Blu-Ray set, so you get the Maximum Movie Mode, but none of the other features.

To be honest, the game is pretty bad, and you can get the Director's Cut by itself for about $22 on Amazon.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast