0 0%

0 0%
  • ** 1/2

1 20.00%

1 20.00%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • I wish I could go back to "Year One" to avoid this movie.

2 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Year One" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Zed: "You could be my right-hand man."
    Oh: "I've seen what you do with your right hand. No, thank you."

Release Date: June 19th, 2009
    Studio: Columbia Pictures
    Director: Harold Ramis
    Writers: Harold Ramis, Gene Stupnitsky, Lee Eisenberg
    Starring: Jack Black, Michael Cera, Paul Rudd, David Cross, Olivia Wilde
    Genres: Comedy
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 for crude and sexual content throughout, brief strong language and comic violence.

Summary: After being banished from their homeland, Zed and Oh, two tribesmen, embark on a journey through their ancient world.

Comments?

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was funny, but it's not going to be the summer's best film. As always, David Cross steals the show.

And yes, Micheal Cera still continues to play his 'socially awkward teen' role here. Cera's not a bad actor, but he seriously needs to stretch his acting muscles in other roles.

Old Guy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It had funny parts, but as a whole it was bad. Possibly Apatow's weakest movie.

Condiment King is offline custom user title
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    It had funny parts, but as a whole it was bad. Possibly Apatow's weakest movie.
    I'm not one to consider Apatow-produced movies to be really his, only the ones that he wrote/co-wrote/directed. I realize that view is flawed, but I stick by it.

And I agree. Bad movie with only a few laughs. Michael Cera desperately needs to do something, anything else in a film other than his awkward Arrested Development character. It was funny in 2003. It's not funny anymore. Also skilled actors should challenge themselves every so often, my good man.
    "Leaping Lanny and Randy Savage are brothers, and Randy Savage, your name is Randy Poffo. THAT'S RIGHT, RANDY POFFO. You're ashamed of going around calling yourself Poffo so you probably got the name Savage because you're ashamed of putting yourself on the same level as your brother because he is much better than you are. YOUR BROTHER IS A HUMAN BEING. YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A SCUMBAG. THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE; YOU'RE A DOG. YOUR NAME IS POFFO." - Ronnie Garvin to Randy Savage, ICW Wrestling, 1980.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Condiment King View Post
    I'm not one to consider Apatow-produced movies to be really his
    It's hard to seperate his directorial movies with his producing ones when it's the same people and a similar tone and style. Apatow doesn't make any efforts to seperate the two. This isn't like Steven Spielberg producing Gremlins, Back to the Future, and Transformers. But regardless...it's the weakest thing he's ever been involved with.

Hobbes829 is offline The Bad Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i like cera's schtick. Why change it up if it's working for him still?

Jack black is oh so terrible

I laughed quite a bit.
    "Iíve followed every part of the Bible! Even the parts that contradict the other parts" - Ned Flanders

"Say Hello... to the Bad Guy" - Razor Ramon

"They say that people mellow with age. However, the older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness." - Thomas Sowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Michael Cera, despite a bad performance, had the funniest scene. It's the one where he's chained upside down and urinates himself.

Condiment King is offline custom user title
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know. I mean I just didn't like the script honestly. The same with Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. But when it's a bad script and Cera is doing his same thing, it just annoys me a whole lot. It's not really working for me anymore. In a setting like Year One, especially, it felt forced.

I honestly can't even imagine him playing a different character at this point. And when I look at his movies, and I sincerely cannot tell the differences between the characters, I feel like that's a problem. He's not bringing anything new to the table. It feels like he's not trying to make each of his characters unique, whereas a guy like Christian Bale seems to go the extra mile to do something different for each one. I'm a bigger fan of guys who are willing to have greater range and take risks, even if they don't always work out.

Jack Black is the same, in a way, though I really liked his role in Margot at the Wedding, which was a different kind of role for him.
    "Leaping Lanny and Randy Savage are brothers, and Randy Savage, your name is Randy Poffo. THAT'S RIGHT, RANDY POFFO. You're ashamed of going around calling yourself Poffo so you probably got the name Savage because you're ashamed of putting yourself on the same level as your brother because he is much better than you are. YOUR BROTHER IS A HUMAN BEING. YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A SCUMBAG. THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE; YOU'RE A DOG. YOUR NAME IS POFFO." - Ronnie Garvin to Randy Savage, ICW Wrestling, 1980.

Hobbes829 is offline The Bad Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    cera's still relatively early in his career. It's unfair to compare him to people that are not only in their 30s but have been working longer than he has.

Plus, very few actors are character actors. Most give different shades of the same performance. Jack Nichelson, as great as he is, is very similar in every role.
    "Iíve followed every part of the Bible! Even the parts that contradict the other parts" - Ned Flanders

"Say Hello... to the Bad Guy" - Razor Ramon

"They say that people mellow with age. However, the older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness." - Thomas Sowell

Prdgn is offline I said, I'm singing a song.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At least they went the biblical route, and not straight-cavemen. That usually gets boring really quick.
    Currently Reading: One Piece, Billy Bat, Vagabond, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, 20th Century Boys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast