Like This Thread!

Director: Ron Howard
    Starring: Tom Hanks
    Writers: David Koepp and Akiva Goldsman
    Release Date: May 15, 2009
    Studio: Sony
    Length: 2hrs 20 mins
    Rating: PG-13

Plot: When Robert Langdon discovers evidence of the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati -- the most powerful underground organization in history -- he also faces a deadly threat to the existence of the secret organization's most despised enemy: the Catholic Church. When Langdon learns that the clock is ticking on an unstoppable Illuminati time bomb, he jets to Rome, where he joins forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and enigmatic Italian scientist. Embarking on a nonstop hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals and even to the heart of the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra will follow a 400-year-old trail of ancient symbols that mark the Vatican's only hope for survival.

Old Guy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I swear to God (ha), that there is a good movie within Angels and Demons. I really do. While it seems that it is not saying much that this is better than the Da Vinci Code, it IS better. The more focused plot around Rome (which I now want to take a Path of Illumination like they did), and the race against time without all the REALLY convoluted puzzle pieces, loitering, and location jumping made this a bit more engaging even though all the flashlights and contrasts between darkness and brightness made it a little hard on the eyes. The plot moved briskly, the scenes were intense, and barring the sheer absurdity of things, it worked quite well.

I just wish Howard wouldn't shoehorn awkward elements that makes people debate (I mean seriously, do scuffles like that happen outside St. Peter's Square), the more 'enlightening' (hahahaha) aspects about the Illuminati could be a bit more defined instead of "HUUUUUUR! Church hates science we kill them" and make it look a bit more... attuned to history instead of feeling like it was pulled out of Dan Brown's ass. But when Ron Howard or Akiva Goldsman weren't chewing on your ear with such tripe and focused on the mystery part, it worked and worked quite well. Maybe some of the writing should be placed upon Dan Brown, because I think a more competent author would have made some of those aspects of the movies more plausible and heck even more understandable.

I'm still split though on whether replacing the Middle Eastern Hashashin with a Danish Assassin. I'm not as bent out of shape as some other people are of changing the nationality, but I'm just split on whether that was a good decision or, according to some people, an attempt at political correctness.

That said, I felt like I got my money's worth, and enjoyed the convoluted experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw the movie over the weekend. I was waiting for someone else to reply, so the mods wouldn't complain that I was dragging around a dead thread. But, anyway, the movie was alright. Then again, I didn't read the book. So, I'm sure that helped.

Goodfellow is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I give it a 3 and a half out of 5. It was a really good movie, even better than The Da Vinci Code. That is pretty much all I have to say about it, as there is nothing to true discuss about it, as I've never read the books, nor do I plan on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, you can still discuss the claims they made. Some which are true. Some which are not. Some which are but exaggerated.