Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryWilliams View Post

Which is ridiculous because the problem with Catwoman was not that she was black. The problem with Catwoman was that it was poorly written, poorly directed film. Had they kept her white and used the Selina Kyle character, it still would have been an awful movie. That's very specious reasoning.
    Yeah. I watched Catwoman recently. That movie had 1,001 problems but Halle Berry wasn't one of them. If she had been given a coherent script, less mentally ill directing choices, set design that wasn't offensive to the eye, etc. it might have been a good movie. I don't think the changes to the movie were made to accommodate blackness. Patience Phillips, as written, is such a generic, cartoonish, backgroundless wallflower that she could have been any race.

In fact, there's one scene in this movie where they had a chance to show Patience as having a stereotypical black background. The basketball scene. You'd think a person with a stereotypical black background would understand what basketball is and how it is played. But the way the scene plays out in this movie it's very clear Patience has no idea how humans play basketball. It's like maybe she saw half a Nike commercial once and went from there.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 05-16-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

RedSpur is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Halle is a good actress and all, but she was horrible as Catwioman and Storm. Pfeiffer was an amazing Catwoman. Heck, Pheiffer would of done a better job playing Storm than Berry. She's a good actress, but she should just leave superhero films alone.

Watch my original animations and shorts

https://blip.tv/toontales
    http://www.reddscarletstudios.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpur View Post
    Halle is a good actress and all, but she was horrible as Catwioman and Storm. Pfeiffer was an amazing Catwoman. Heck, Pheiffer would of done a better job playing Storm than Berry. She's a good actress, but she should just leave superhero films alone.
    I disagree. She was fine as Storm in X2. The problems with Catwoman and X-men were on the script and directing level, not with her.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I disagree. She was fine as Storm in X2. The problems with Catwoman and X-men were on the script and directing level, not with her.
    My take on Storm is that she was to be an African, a Goddess of the elements and a strong woman superhero. Halle Berry in the X films was quite the opposite. She wasn't strong. Came off as a push over with a soft voice hard to even hear. Everytime i think of her as storm this line from the first movie haunts me "At least i've chosen a side".

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My take on Storm is that she was to be an African, a Goddess of the elements and a strong woman superhero. Halle Berry in the X films was quite the opposite. She wasn't strong. Came off as a push over with a soft voice hard to even hear. Everytime i think of her as storm this line from the first movie haunts me "At least i've chosen a side".
    Those are script and direction-level problems, though. We've seen multiple times Berry can play strong women.

More trivia time. Storm has African ancestry, her mother was a Kenyan princess, but isn't really African. She was born in Harlem and is an American citizen, unless she renounced it at some point.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Those are script and direction-level problems, though. We've seen multiple times Berry can play strong women.

More trivia time. Storm has African ancestry, her mother was a Kenyan princess, but isn't really African. She was born in Harlem and is an American citizen, unless she renounced it at some point.
    No, i agree she's a good actress, but i don't think Comic films her thing. The X films were amazing. Bryan Singer did a great job so i don't how much you can blame Berry's weak acting as Storm on him.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No, i agree she's a good actress, but i don't think Comic films her thing. The X films were amazing. Bryan Singer did a great job so i don't how much you can blame Berry's weak acting as Storm on him.
    X2 was good, and I think Berry was really good in that. She seemed more confident about who her character was, even though it wasn't a huge role. The first one, though, had a lot of problems, especially script and directing problems. It's still overall an okay film but these things drag it down.

I'm very humble, too.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never really had a problem with Berry as Storm, I just wish her hair had been longer. But at least it wasn't a Mohawk! As for Catwoman, I haven't seen that film yet, so I can't comment.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This "why do we call black people black and white people white" kick you're on is like a half-baked observational comedy routine. They're just common descriptive terms. If you want we'll switch to caucasoid and negroid.
    Nah. What's half baked are these descriptive terms. It's no comedy routine. We label people, we put'em in boxes, and these descriptive terms then have multiple meanings but use the same word? Fine. But when you say a black actor, you're refering to a "black" dude, right? Then we say how a black/white person talks, dress like a black/white person, oh you're white/black on the inside, etc, etc, etc.

Then we refer to skin color and use these same common terms. I graduated from preschool. I know my colors. Light skinned black actor? Dark skinned white actress? Knowing very well such an actor is probably mixed ethnically, but due to our ignorance, we'll just lump'em in some generic category. Sounds like a jumbled mess to me. Its like using the same profanity term for 5+ different meanings(which ppl do). The word loses focus, and thus becomes interchangable. Loses its pizzazz.

Also, these terms of black/white have so much baggage to them. Historically, culturally, yadda yadda yadda...if you slap on a dude from denmark and guy from canada, they both are considered white, but white due to skin color? The way they speak? The way they dress? The way they present themselves? Clearly there's a cultural difference between the two. Yet by our eyes, it just 2 white dudes. So they're not only stripped from their cultural backgrounds, but also lumped into a lame brain category.

Many people ignorantly called asians yellow (whole mmpr fiasco), but most are "whiter/lighter" than the average "white" american. Clearly there's some discord goin on here. Or the indian dude who's "darker/blacker" than your average "black" person(who probaly is a light skinned black dude, which means mixed ancestory,but who ares about the details, amirite?)

tl;dr: Honestly, I just think we're lazy with how we identify people.

Also catwoman was lame because it was just a poorly produced movie, diverse enthicities withstanding.
    Last edited by firefoxprime; 05-18-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios