• **1\2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1\2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1\2

0 0%
  • There's a reason that this plot failed.

1 25.00%
    Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Valkyrie" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Many saw evil. They dared to stop it.

A Bryan Singer Film

"We need to kill Hitler."
    "Just remember, nothing ever goes according to plan."

Release Date: December 25th, 2008
    Studio: United Artists
    A Bat Hat Harry Production
    Starring Tom Cruise, Terence Stamp, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Eddie Izzard, Tom Wilkinson, Thomas Kretschmann
    Film editing and musical score by John Ottoman
    Cinematography by Thomas Netwon Siegel
    Production designed by Lily Kilver, Patrick Lumb, and Tom Meyer
    Written by Christopher McQuarrie and Nathan Alexander
    Produced by Bryan Singer, Christoper McQuarrie, and Gilbert Adler
    Directed by Bryan Singer

Plot Summary: Acclaimed director Bryan Singer moves away from the worlds of Marvel and DC to helm this World War II thriller. Tom Cruise stars as Claus von Stauffenberg, a man intent on killing Adolf Hitler and in an attempt to end his reign of terror. He and a small group orchestrate an intricate coup in attempt to isolate his chain of command and kill Hiltler, but nothing ever goes according to plan.

Visit the official site here.

Comments?
    Last edited by Hanshotfirst1138; 01-02-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Edboy 13 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was planning on seeing it today at a 4:10 showing unfortunately, the theater was sold out, so I had to settle for the Adam Sandler movie Bedtime Stories instead (not exactly the movie I wanted to see, but it was good).

Oh well, maybe I'll go see it tomorrow...

Gatomon41 is offline Digital Cat Rabbit Thing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tom Cruise in a Nazi Uniform, IN AN EYEPATCH!

That's reason enough to go see this movie
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well I saw it this afternoon and thought it was good. Certainly this wasn't a history lesson taught [to me] in school so it was nice to see it get some attention. The first half hour was a bit so-so but it quickly picked up from there, especially during the initial attempt that was aborted when they discovered Himmler wasn't present.

Cruise did a good job but I can't say his performance was drastically different than other films I've seen him in. The others gave fine performances as well, particularly when they were arguing about whether to go ahead with the mission even though they had no actual confirmation that Hitler was dead.

My favorite scene was probably when Stauffenberg has to get Hitler to sign the revised Valkyrie plans. There's a shot after Stauffenberg asks him to sign them where Hitler is a ways away in the room and slowly walks up to him. That was staged really well: By making his walk seem longer than it really is, it increases the tension.

I.D.Will19?? is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did Tom Cruise (and the other actors, for that matter) have accents?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Will19?? View Post
    Did Tom Cruise (and the other actors, for that matter) have accents?
    Tom didn't, but most everyone else had either British or German accents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Boris View Post
    Tom didn't, but most everyone else had either British or German accents.
    Well, Branagh IS British.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."

Goodfellow is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I give it a solid 4/5 stars. Not as good as The Spirit, but very well done and acted nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Solid

A slick, solid, well-produced, handsome, and engaging thriller. Professional commercial filmmaking, done well. Nothing earth-shattering, not one of the greatest WWII films, but engaging all the same. Singer manages some nice, suspenseful sequences considering that the audience already knows what's going to happen, and avoids slipping into shoot'em up mode as much as possible. It would have been easy to just slip in John Woo when the bullets started flying, but Singer keeps things pretty restrained. Not a masterpiece, but a solid piece of work, worth seeing. Handsomely produced, and while far from subtle, especially with the rather intrusive score at times, it's the consumate contemporary thiller. The movie does pander a bit with the speeches about heroism, but depictions of goose-stepping Nazi soldiers and steretypes are avoided as possible. Not Das Boot or Der Untergang, but for a Hollywood movie starring Tom Cruise, not too bad. His performance was reasonable, though Tom Wilkenson's somewhat one-dimensionally evil general is a little tiresome. Nighy and Stamp are good as always, and Branagh's small role is handled well. There's perhaps nothing exceptional here, but nothing below-the-line either. Nicely done. Hopefully it will do well enough for itself, and Singer's reputation will increase because of it. Nice to see him make a movie-that doesn't involve superpowers and get back to his roots. Not bad.
    "