• *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    Old Guy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Crimewave (a/k/a The XYZ Murders)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Director: Sam Raimi
    Writers: Sam Raimi and The Coen Bros.
    Co-Starring: Bruce Campbell
    Genres: Comedy and Crime/Gangster
    Running Time: 1 hr. 23 min.
    Release Date: 1985/1986 USA
    MPAA Rating: PG-13
    Distributors: Embassy Pictures, Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group
    Production Co.: Renaissance Pictures

Summary: The film's story concerns Victor Ajax (Reed Birney), a young technician in the employ of Trend-Odegard Security. Mr. Trend, co-owner of the company (Edward R. Pressman), has learned of a plan by his partner to sell the company to Renaldo "The Heel" (Bruce Campbell) and responds by hiring two exterminators who promise to "kill all sizes" (Brion James and Paul Smith) in order to eliminate Odegard and his plan. When Vic, who has been installing security cameras in Trend's apartment building, seems about to go back to the store, Trend distracts him with a lecture about "the grand design" and sends Vic on a quest to find his dream girl. The dream girl spontaneously materializes in the form of Nancy (Sheree J. Wilson), who responds minimally to Vic but is enamored of Renaldo. Victor and several residents of the building including Mrs. Trend (Louise Lasser, top-billed) run afoul of the killers and a seemingly random series of slapstick murders ensues, which is ultimately pinned on Victor. The movie is framed by Vic's journey to the electric chair for the crimes as Nancy, accompanied by several nuns, races to the scene in order to clear him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The movie starts a bit boring, but gets better as it progresses. It isn't Raimi's best, but it's good as an early effort. Although I understand that Raimi has disowned this movie since the studio took over during every aspect of production. Oh well. Live and learn is what I say. The movie does features some great camerawork (as expected) and some of the characters like the villains, for example, were great. Who knows how this movie would have turned out had the studio not taken over and Raimi had more experience. Oh, and Bruce Campbell is awesome, of course.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    The movie starts a bit boring, but gets better as it progresses. It isn't Raimi's best, but it's good as an early effort. Although I understand that Raimi has disowned this movie since the studio took over during every aspect of production. Oh well. Live and learn is what I say. The movie does features some great camerawork (as expected) and some of the characters like the villains, for example, were great. Who knows how this movie would have turned out had the studio not taken over and Raimi had more experience. Oh, and Bruce Campbell is awesome, of course.
    This movie is still pretty good, studio interference or no. It has one of the blackest comic scenes in cinema, in my opinion. It involves a guy falling from a tall building and surviving, for a minute. The movie is interesting because it's basically a story about serial killers but it approaches it like a Warner Bros. cartoon. They even have cartoon voices.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Robin2099 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's not Sam's best movie but it's still a decent way to kill a couple of hours. Though I honestly got more enjoyment out of reading Bruce talk about it in his book then in watching the actual movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnHopkins View Post
    The movie is interesting because it's basically a story about serial killers but it approaches it like a Warner Bros. cartoon. They even have cartoon voices.
    You're right. However, the movie suffers from Raimi's inexperience as well as the studio messing around. For example, look at the car chase at the end. It was very well done except that there was WAY too much dialogue and it ruined the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2099 View Post
    It's not Sam's best movie but it's still a decent way to kill a couple of hours. Though I honestly got more enjoyment out of reading Bruce talk about it in his book then in watching the actual movie.
    lol. True.