Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by J. B. Warner View Post
    It was all just fan dreams, but I still would have loved to see it happen. I think Season 7 is grossly underrated - all six episodes make me laugh like a lunatic. "The Incredible Melting Man" in particular has to be a top five episode for me. ("There are yards of cable and fifteen operators required to run these people.")
    Season 7's all right, but I think it was really hurt by the absence of TV's Frank, and Pearl wasn't nearly as enjoyable as she was in the Sci-Fi episodes, IMO.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    Season 7's all right, but I think it was really hurt by the absence of TV's Frank, and Pearl wasn't nearly as enjoyable as she was in the Sci-Fi episodes, IMO.
    Indeed, I missed Frank too, but I actually tend to like Pearl better in Season 7 than in the SciFi era, probably because Mary Jo and Trace made such a great comedy team. Once she took over the movie-watching experiment, though, she kinda became more one-dimensional and dull. Oh, she had her moments, but on the whole, I have a hard time buying her as a mad scientist. Plus, Mary Jo developed this odd habit of jutting her face into the camera and making goofy expressions, and it can get very distracting.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sequel to this post: I ended up buying vol. 6, since my local used DVD store had it. Not a bad volume. Of course, it was worth buying just for Mr. B Natural, but my favorite full episode was "Gunslinger", with "Teenagers From Outer Space" a close second in terms of laughs (and ya gotta love the Hi-Q stock music used in "Outer Space"!). "Giant Leeches" started out OK, but for me the momentum went downhill after about the halfway mark.

cartoonscartoons is offline I cant help it, if I'm lucky
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy
    ^ When you look at it strictly as the number of episodes per set, then yes, MST3K sets are "overpriced". But look at it from a different perspective: MST3K episodes are three times the length of a typical half hour show, so you're basically getting the equivalent of 12 episodes (15 in the case of the Gamera set) for $40-50. Another way to look at it: You're essentially buying four films. And to buy four films (at least, when they're new) would cost you around the same price in total.

Besides, it's not just the episodes on these sets. Shout! has done a great job of creating new special material for these sets.
    Yes, but it is still only 4 episodes. It's no different than 4 episodes of a normal series, because you can only watch them so much, so they aren't anymore value.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The next set's episodes, according to MST3Kinfo:
    110- ROBOT HOLOCAUST with short: COMMANDO CODY PT 9 (partial)
    508- OPERATION KID BROTHER (aka OPERATION DOUBLE 007; they couldn’t get the rights under the other name)
    615- KITTEN WITH A WHIP and
    801- REVENGE OF THE CREATURE
    That'll be a great set. I love "Kitten With a Whip" and "Revenge of the Creature", and "007" I remember not being too bad either. Never seen "Robot Holocaust".

I'm just glad they're dipping into Sci-Fi era episodes again, and the very first one from that era, at that. AND it's a Universal film. It's kind of a milestone in that sense.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woohoo! "Operation Double 007" is one of my all time favorites! And if Shout! got "Revenge of the Creature", that opens up the possibility for a huge chunk of Season 8 - including, hopefully, "The Deadly Mantis", another one of my favorites.

Speedy, "Robot Holocaust" is widely regarded as one of the best of Season 1. And it's worth the price of admission just for the smokin' hot yet utterly incomprehensible Angelika Jager.

"Dew yew unnerstan, ol man?"
    "Yeah, it's young girl I don't understand!"
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

TnAdct1 is offline I WANT MY MEWTWO!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like Shout Factory's deal with Universal (especially with the Scream Factory label) is paying off for us MiSTies, as we're getting some of the episodes featuring films released by Universal in the next set. Would love to see one of the later sets to feature either The Leech Woman (JEEEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!), The Mole People (I'm sure the staff at the show were huge fans of the film and have wanted to riff that film for a long time), or Riding with Death (Turkey Volume Guessing Man).
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All four of those films were listed as "Extremely Unlikely" because they're all owned by major studios (MGM, Warner and Universal, to be specific). This is intriguing news indeed.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It opens up a ton of episodes for potential release, ensuring that we have enough material for several more years of box sets!

cartoonscartoons is offline I cant help it, if I'm lucky
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman
    It opens up a ton of episodes for potential release, ensuring that we have enough material for several more years of box sets!
    ..Instead of just 5 years of season sets