Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
    J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    It would be amazing if Shout! could get the rights to Gorgo (the famous "only aired once and never again" episode) but I'm not holding my breath.
    I'm pulling for Gorgo too, but you're right, it is a long shot. Shame, really, because I think it's a deeply underrated episode (probably because a lot of people haven't seen it); easily one of the best of the SciFi era. The running gag of the guys filling Gorgo's constantly roaring mouth with pop songs and show tunes has me in stitches every time. "Downtown!"
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TnAdct1
    BTW, while I'm here, I should mention that the episodes for Volume XXIV have just been announced:

310- FUGITIVE ALIEN
    318- STAR FORCE – FUGITIVE ALIEN II
    617- THE SWORD AND THE DRAGON
    624- SAMSON VS. THE VAMPIRE WOMEN

In short, The Forklift Song, Frank's swan song, and the third film of the Comedy Central "Russo-Finnish" trilogy.
    I LOVE those Season 6 episodes, as that's when I discovered the show: late in the Season 6 season (yeah, I know, kind of late to discover it by that point, with it going off Comedy Central a year later). "Samson vs. the Vampire Women" was one of the few I remember watching when it premiered. "The Sword and the Dragon" I caught in a rebroadcast - I didn't know it was part of a trilogy, what are the other episodes in that trilogy?

The last few episodes of Season 6, all of the short lived Season 7, and maybe about half of the episodes of the Season 8 "Sci-Fi era", those are the only ones I ever watched "live" when they premiered. But then I went off to college and lost track of the show. But thank goodness for these DVD's (and for the streaming broadcasts on Netflix and Amazon)!

Speaking of which, I've updated the list of Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes that are available for streaming. Netflix is truly disappointing me: they removed the Gamera episodes from Vol. XXI, along with Vol. XII. It seems that the episodes get removed from Netflix after a while. But possibly after they leave Netflix, they eventually go over to Amazon: I noticed Amazon has the two "Master Ninja" films from Vol. XX.

I prefer to buy the streaming episodes from Amazon, over watching them temporarily on Netflix. The one thing I notice Netflix has going for them is they have the rights for streaming for the individual re-releases ("Hamlet", "Red Zone Cuba", "The Atomic Brain", "The Incredibly Strange Creatures", etc). Amazon doesn't have those yet. But then I'd rather just buy the individual re-released DVD (because what if Netflix removes those in a few months as well?)

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Different perspective: I didn't get satellite until late 1996; I managed to catch a few MST3Ks before they left Comedy Central. I'm more familiar with the Sci-Fi era. That's part of why I have such a fondness for that era, but also I think the more biting sense of humor in the Sci-Fi episodes is more aligned with mine. I also liked how they got more new films. And even though he didn't really have as much range as Beaulieu, I did enjoy Bill Corbett's Crow; he had such great comedic delivery. I also liked the art direction of the Sci-Fi episodes; the blue hue of the SOL gave everything a cooler look, and of course they had to design a bunch of different settings as Pearl and co. time traveled to lots of locations.

Of course, the Sci-Fi era wasn't perfect; I prefer Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank to Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo (though they had their moments), and the invention exchange was always a fun part of seasons 1-5. And yeah, it's unfortunate that until season 10, there wasn't as much variety when it came to film content; everything had to have a sci-fi or fantasy theme. And while the season 8 story arc thing is a neat experiment, it can get confusing when you watch them out of order.

Still, there's a host of Sci-Fi episodes not out yet (and probably won't be) that I'd love to have: Revenge of the Creature, The Leech Woman, Agent For H.A.R.M., Riding With Death, The Horror of Party Beach, The Puma Man, Diabolik... and of course there were the few modern movie half hour specials. Those will never see the light of day again, except in bootleg form.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus
    Still, there's a host of Sci-Fi episodes not out yet (and probably won't be) that I'd love to have: Revenge of the Creature, The Leech Woman, Agent For H.A.R.M., Riding With Death, The Horror of Party Beach, The Puma Man, Diabolik... and of course there were the few modern movie half hour specials. Those will never see the light of day again, except in bootleg form.
    Well, if all of the Sandy Frank episodes have been released, we can still hope for more of the Sci-Fi era episodes to come out on DVD. I'm curious: which of the remaining unreleased Sci-Fi era episodes have the most chance of being released on DVD?

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^ Right now, the best bets are The Puma Man (if Shout can even get ahold of the production company, that is; I seem to recall they were having a hard time tracking them down), Quest of the Delta Knights, and Track of the Moon Beast. The rest are owned/distributed by various big studios (MGM, Paramount, AIP, Universal, 20th Century Fox) so are most likely not on the table.

Then again, this is Shout, so never say never.

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Shout! are totally awesome. They went to the Japanese companies to negotiate rights for all these Season 3 episodes, and they're the major studios of that country. In fact, a whole lot of Shouts! other releases were acquired via negotiations with pretty major studios. I wouldn't count out them making deals with Universal or MGM (they might be a bit pricier to license, but then you put some public domain stuff on the set to balance the cost - that's the game they have to play).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. B. Warner View Post
    - Volume 8: "The Phantom Planet" is one of my favorites from Season 9, but "Hobgoblins" can be maddening at times. I like "The Dead Talk Back", but it's an extremely boring movie, so be warned. "Monster A Go-Go" is pure brilliance.
    I just watched Monster a Go-Go on Hulu... I definitely wouldn't call the episode "pure brilliance". There were some funny riffs here and there (and I loved their reaction to the "There was no monster" ending), but the movie itself was so unbelievably awful that the episode was hard to sit through. It's the same problem I have with the Coleman Francis trilogy, The Starfighters, Mighty Jack, Hamlet, and a few others I'm forgetting right now.

There's no way Plan 9 is the worst movie of all time. Go-Go puts it to shame.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm hoping that since Shout has a decent relationship with Universal, they can at least get the rights to Riding With Death. Everybody I know needs to be exposed to that turkey, the elusive Robert Denby!

POTENTIAL BONUS FEATURE: Gemini Man: The Complete Series.

John Pannozzi is offline 30 Years of Turtle Power
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    ^ Right now, the best bets are The Puma Man (if Shout can even get ahold of the production company, that is; I seem to recall they were having a hard time tracking them down), Quest of the Delta Knights, and Track of the Moon Beast. The rest are owned/distributed by various big studios (MGM, Paramount, AIP, Universal, 20th Century Fox) so are most likely not on the table.

Then again, this is Shout, so never say never.
    Well, Horror of Party Beach and Invasion of the Neptune are both controlled by Dark Sky, so they might have a chance.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    I just watched Monster a Go-Go on Hulu... I definitely wouldn't call the episode "pure brilliance". There were some funny riffs here and there (and I loved their reaction to the "There was no monster" ending), but the movie itself was so unbelievably awful that the episode was hard to sit through.
    Eh, tomato, tomahto. "Monster A Go-Go" is one of my all-time favorite episodes - I find it hysterically funny from beginning to end. But it is one of those very divisive episodes. Personally, I think these movies where nothing ever happens tend to result in some of the show's best work, 'cause without things like a plot or characters to focus on, Joel/Mike and the bots can let fly with an endless rapid-fire stream of observational riffs, and there's no disruption to the rhythm. Same thing happens with junk like The Starfighters or The Beast of Yucca Flats - 90 minutes of pure nothing, but some of the funniest riffing they've ever done.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.