Quantcast

View Poll Results: Rate this movie and post your comments (rating for the combined double bill)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll

6 27.27%
  • ****1/2

7 31.82%

6 27.27%
  • ***1/2

1 4.55%

1 4.55%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 4.55%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    Kind of along the same lines, one other thing that bothered me with both movies -- the cell phones. They just seemed so out of place in both films. Almost everything else in the films looked like they were straight out of the Seventies so this small bit of modern technology didn't fit the setting, in my opinion.
    I noticed that too, but then I tossed around a few theories. I'm willing to bet the idea Rodriguez and/or Tarantino were going for was the exploitation of the most modern technology as a story element. In Death Proof, text messaging is the focus of at least two scenes. Exploitation movies often focused on innocuous things as it developed characters, often making these objects stand out too much and appear out of place. Cell phones are an easily-exploitable "cool" technology that's very in-style at the moment.

I think we were expecting Grindhouse to be a period film, meaning everything happened thirty or so years ago. But it's very obvious that, while set in rural locations with not much VISIBLE 2006 technology, they are indeed set at the beginning of this century. That's probably what's bothering us so much; the contrast between what a grind house cinema flick used to look like and what a grind house cinema flick would actually look like if it were made today.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKid View Post
    There's a pretty well accepted theory going the rounds that the second-half actually takes place before the first half. I don't wanna go into a long essay, but basically Stuntman Mike started out as just a guy with a few screws loose who wanted to "mess around" with local girls by almost killing them while in their cars. Of course, it wasn't until he actually met his match, and almost got killed that he decided he'd have to do more than just fool around and actually go all the way by killing them.
    Nah, that doesn't make much sense. I just chalked the different car up to one of Tarantino's on-purpose continuity gaffes. Old low-budget movies made mistakes like these all the time. Notice the scene where Mike is explaining his profession at the bar with Tarantino and the three women? After one cutaway Tarantino disappears and he never reappears, but we never see or hear him get up and walk away.

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never understood why they added so much lame filler in those old films.
    Why did they add in so much filler? For filler. Talky exposition costs next to nothing to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Temple Fugate View Post
    Nah, that doesn't make much sense. I just chalked the different car up to one of Tarantino's on-purpose continuity gaffes.
    Although I agree that the second act clearly takes part chronologically after the first, I don't think it's a continuity error at all that he's driving a Charger in the second part and a Nova in the first. The point of 'death proofing' a car is to keep him alive, but the Nova was pretty well trashed, to the point where it probably wasn't worth salvaging.

Why didn't they include this in the States?
    Guild/union issues, if I had to guess.

BatKid is offline The True Batman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandoz View Post
    I disagree. Abernathy, Kim, and Zoe certainly beat Mike to death--Abernathy caved in his head with her boot; he isn't coming back from that. Also, the script notes that the events of the second half take place fourteen months after the first. And really, he wasn't just messing around, he was the same sicko from the first half of the film. He believed that he had killed Zoe, after all.

Those weren't pictures of Abernathy and her friends, they were pictures of Jungle Julia and co.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I still think the scenes presented were chronological. I just read up on the theory and found it interesting, plus there really isn't anything "concrete" that proves it WASN'T out of order.

As for the pics, I'll have to see the movie again to take a closer look. I just remember when he dropped them on the street, 2 of them were facing down, with only one facing up. For the life of me, I can't remember if that one picture was of a girl we saw in the movie.
    "We could have changed the world...NOW...look at us...I've become a political liability...and you...you're a JOKE...I want you...to REMEMBER, Clark...in all the years to come...in your most private moments...I want you to remember MY HAND...AT YOUR THROAT...I want...you to remember...the one man who BEAT you...." - Batman to Superman in DKR

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I still think the scenes presented were chronological. I just read up on the theory and found it interesting, plus there really isn't anything "concrete" that proves it WASN'T out of order.
    Again, I wouldn't say Death Proof was supposed to be chronological as much as it was two completely different movies starring a similar character (played by Kurt Russell) but with subtle differences. Such as a different car and the unnamed "Stuntman Mike"-character lacking the scar he has in the first half.

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    and the unnamed "Stuntman Mike"-character lacking the scar he has in the first half.
    He has the scar in both parts. Around half of the shots of him are from the passenger seat, so it's not as visible, but it's definitely there. You'll see it if you watch it again.

Proof:

plus there really isn't anything "concrete" that proves it WASN'T out of order.
    Watch that bit of footage after "The End" a little closer. There's no way that happened before the first act.

For the life of me, I can't remember if that one picture was of a girl we saw in the movie.
    It was Vanessa Ferlito.

rggkjg1 is offline Batman v Superman
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before my Blockbuster Video store closed up, I was able to get both films in a buy 3 or 4 for so and so dollars.

Death Proof was the usual Tarantino nonsense (irrelevant dialogue that has nothing to do with the situation at hand followed by graphic violence). None the less, I think Death Proof if Tarantino's "best" film. I also consider this to be the "sequel" to Pulp Fiction since it follows the same "nonsense formula" (irrelevant dialogue, characters we dont learn anything about, graphic action/violence).

Then there's Planent Terror. I sat through the first 30 minutes of this movie and just turned it off. What I saw in those 30 minutes was complete garbage. I honestly cant think of any movie seeing for the first time that I got tired of and turned off before it was over. I usually just stomach it and watch, but this was horrendous. I'm not giving it another chance, so if somehow it get's "better" after the first 30 minutes, thats my "loss".

2 and half to 3 stars for Death Proof, 0 stars for Planet Terror.
    MICHAEL KEATON IS BIRDMAN
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL TRAILER
    (R rated language)

NOW PLAYING. OFFICIAL TOONZONE TALKBACK

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's no way Death Proof is QT best. I don't see how you consider it a sequel to Pulp FIction either. By your own criteria all his movies would be sequels or prequels to Pulp Fiction.

rggkjg1 is offline Batman v Superman
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    There's no way Death Proof is QT best. I don't see how you consider it a sequel to Pulp FIction either. By your own criteria all his movies would be sequels or prequels to Pulp Fiction.
    I'm not exactly a fan of his work. All the movies I've seen by him I bought on sale at 5 bucks each just to see for myself what the big deal was about Quentin Tarantino. I got my 5 bucks worth out of those movies, but nothing much more.
    MICHAEL KEATON IS BIRDMAN
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL TRAILER
    (R rated language)

NOW PLAYING. OFFICIAL TOONZONE TALKBACK

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That's fair enough. I don't love his stuff, I like some of it though like Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction but yea Death Proof was....like someone doing a bad impersonation of Tarantino. The dialogue really went no where where and the violence seem tacked on and took an eternity to get to. I think he was trying to be like those old movies but missed it by a wide margin because he couldn't not be himself so instead we got this mess.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think he recently admitted it was the worse of his films. Basically I contributed it to the fact he isn't a Fan of horror movies. It felt like he was making fun of them instead if just doing one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234