Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Rate this movie and post your comments (rating for the combined double bill)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll

6 27.27%
  • ****1/2

7 31.82%

6 27.27%
  • ***1/2

1 4.55%

1 4.55%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Eddie G. is offline Former Wolf/Writer.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DR.MID-NITE View Post
    Also, when Zoe is on the hood and he is smacking into her. Why not just slow the freakin car down and stop...Especially, after he spun out. You had time and you had a gun?
    They wouldn't have had enough time to get Zoe in the car and speed away, he would've just ended up slamm

I think QT's intent with Death Proof...
    I also thought it was sort of a "screw you" to the idea of a calm collected serial killer. A lot of people have complained about the switch in Stuntman Mike's character, but I thought it made a lot of sense. He was calm and collected in the first half because he was dealing with some random drunk girls and had control of the situation. In the second situation he's dealing with the female version of Jules, one of the hottest women on Earth, and Zoe Bell playing real life role as the most badass woman on Earth. They were able to actually keep up with him and thusly we saw him for what he actually was, a pathetic pervert who gets off on killing helpless women. The whole point is that the pathetic wuss who we see begging for his life is who he really is.

Anyway, loved the whole experience. I thought Planet Terror was fun, but a tad one note and sort of missing the point of what Grindhouse films actually were. I think what he was more trying to do was to create a comical parody of what a grindhouse/exploitation director would make if given a big enough budget and better special effects.

Death Proof was more of a stylistic parody of what Grindhouse films actually were. And I really loved it. I knew it was going to be chatty so I just sat back and enjoyed what was really down to Earth and fun dialogue. The first half cut have been cut down though so it started at the bar, but the second half was just great. The character were likeable and all the chatter ended up helping the buildup to that amazing chase. And also, I'm pretty much in love with Zoe Bell.

FUN FACT: Will Arnett did the voice over for Don't.

Vyse is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragebot View Post
    I may be confusing this with Machete, but didn't this one have the pedophile dressed up as Santa? That was one of my favourite parts in the whole movie!
    Yes, it did. For everyone who isn't Canadian, like me, here's "Hobo With a Shotgun," the winner of the SXSW "Grindhouse" fake trailer contest.
    http://www.ifilm.com/video/2831746
    WARNING: Probably NSFW due to violence and language. It's also legal because the dude who created it posted it on YouTube. Here's his YouTube channel page.

Robin2099 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got back from seeing it, and on a scale of 1-5 the movie would score a 4. Planet Terror was awesome, a fun violent movie that you could just enjoy, which featured tons of hot women. 5/5

Death Proof, was a let down and should of been on before Planet Terror. After the nonstop thrill ride of PT, listening to a bunch of annoying women chater back and forth just didn't do it. Granted the pay off for the first group of women was well worth it, as was the second but all the dialogue dragged it down. The movie probabbly would of worked better if it focused more on Kurt Russell's character who was beyond awesome. 3/5

And the trailers were the best parts. All of the movies were entertaining, and I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. Overall, Grindhouse is awesome and is a must see. 4.5/5

Bones Justice is offline Bring on the noise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it last night and I loved it (with reservations). I always end up wincing at the extreme scenes of these guys' movies and this was no exception. All of the "below the belt" stuff was totally stomach-turning but I guess that's what they were going for anyways. Sorry, but I just don't care for shots of severed or rotting testicles!

Otherwise, Planet Terror was a non-stop action thrill-ride that did not disappoint. Huh, didn't know that Bruce Willis was in this one. El Wray and Cherry are a couple of great characters, too. This movie was like a cross of the videogames Cold Winter, Total Overdose, and Resident Evil with a perverse sense of humor stirred into the mix. In other words, it's a lot of fun. I wouldn't be surprised if they are making a videogame based upon Planet Terror.

Death Proof totally threw me for a loop. I couldn't figure out what the heck this movie was about until things really got going. But once it did get going, I think it was more white-knuckle than Planet Terror by far. Death Proof did a much better job of building tension than Planet Terror, though perhaps that's because the latter was so non-stop that it never had a chance to build any. Anyways, Death Proof may just have the best car chase scene ever, though I'm gonna reserve judgment until after I've calmed down from the intitial viewing. I dunno how they did it but they really looked like they had Zoe on the hood at full speed!

Overall, I think Death Proof was the better "movie" but not necessarily more fun than Planet Terror. They are actually so different that it's hard to compare them.

I loved the trailers. My favorite is Machette.

I also loved the look of the film quality. Planet Terror's extremely roughed up look was perfect. I also liked the burning freeze-frame, which I've actually seen happen once in a regular movie. Funny thing is, I've seen more mistakes in the theater these days than I did years ago. Both X-Men III and Superman Returns got screwed up when I saw 'em (got refunds for both). It's always worst at the after-midnight showings. Anyways, I'm glad Death Proof looked totally different in terms of film quality. I also liked the jump-cuts/screwed-up edits in both films. What's up with the "missing reels" though? I know it was a gag and I've been to some bad screenings but I've never seen that before for real.

I agree with Lord Dalek and the rest -- this is one (make that two) movie you must see in the theater to get the full effect. I don't know how it's doing at the box office but if you're waiting to see it on DVD, don't (if you know what I mean).

What was the hood ornament on Stuntman Mike's car anyways? I'm guessing it was a wart-hog or something but none of us were sure.

Edit: I just watched Hobo with a Shotgun. Awesome! Thanks for the link. Why didn't they include this in the States? This rivals Machete as my favorite trailer. But then I've always liked a good shotgun. "You're taking a car ride to Hell and you're ridin' shotgun!"
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 04-14-2007 at 07:15 AM.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Grindhouse was ****ING AWESOME! Where else in theaters nowadays are you gonna experience such delights as vintage title cards from the '70s, killer priests, X-rated Spy Kids spin-offs, great rock music, Rose McGowan go-go dancing, proof that the war in Iraq creates zombies, said zombies being animated by Genndy Tartakovsky, complete gaps in plot logic due to melted film, a psycho scientist who collects people's balls, Tarentino playing a bad guy whose balls get melted off, the trailer for Girls in Chains, Rose McGowan with a machine gun leg killing zombies from an airplane, heads blowing up on an island paradise, Nicolas Cage as Fu-Man-Chu, the truth behind Hitler's werewolf women, unappealing Mexican food, instructions on what not to do, a guy in a turkey suit being decapitated, food rape, a badass whose first name is Stuntman, a badass car that is 100% death proof for the driver, comedic discussions about the movie business, the dumb cheerleader being dumped in a barn, wounds being burned in alcohol, some of the most shocking and downright awesome stunts ever attempted, and an ending that causes everyone in the audience to clap with joy? Everything but the missing lap dance reel! See it in theaters! Certainly much more fun than the crap that tops the box office. 4.5/5
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PREFIX:: The hood ornament on Stuntman Mike's car was a duck.

I do not love Grindhouse.
    I don't like it either.
    I effing ADORE this movie. Every single second of it (well, not so much, but that is for later) was the most amazing experience I've ever had.
    PROTIP: Want a good experience? Bring friends, or go when it'll be crowded! Also, go to where there is the LARGEST SCREEN POSSIBLE.
    I honestly am still gathering my thoughts, but for now I'll give it a *****. The movie itself deserves a ****1/2 at best, but the score is bumped up because of how effing amazing the experience with my friends was.

PS: DON'T MISS THIS IN THEATERS.

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

***1/2

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    I don't know how it's doing at the box office but if you're waiting to see it on DVD, don't (if you know what I mean).
    I get it now!

Just got back from the theater. Great time. The previews were hysterical, from the Werewolf Women to Nicholas Cage's cameo to the repeated "Thanksgiving" with the deadpan announcer. And Don't, of course. The way that announcer paused between every two words had me in stitches. (And what the **** was with the creepy fat guy in the basement?!?) Bang-up job all around.

Planet Terror was obviously the better film--or at least the more interesting and fun film. It had a tight script. One thing I was really impressed with was how it took all the pieces of a survival horror film and utilized them so well. You had the overly bossy cop, the abused wife, the too-sexy chick who wanted out of her too-sexy life, and the fanfic-ish main character with mysterious origins, impossibly good looks, impossibly suave and intelligent attitude and impossibly good aim. Every element in the script was brought back into play at some point in the film. You can tell Rodriguez put a lot of effort into making this a damn good send-up to exploitation films while still retaining a level of credibility.

The "Missing Reel" followed by the restaurant on fire was the highlight of the movie. Everyone in the theater was laughing for a good while. Not only was it hilarious, but it helped quicken up the movie and saved us about fifteen-to-twenty minutes of padding while all of the main characters slowly grouped together and introduced themselves. (Too bad we didn't get that sex scene, though. )

I'm never going to look at Naveen Andrews the same way again. In a film full of "I know what's coming but when is it gonna happen?" moments, his death was actually shocking and brutally graphic. The unnecessary gore in this film was played up so much already, and it came to a head with his head coming right apart.

Planet Terror - ***1/2

I understand the hate for Death Proof, but when I finally saw it I didn't think it was as bad as most people made it out to be. Yeah, we had chick conversations up the wazoo (I went to the bathroom during one of them, confident it would still be going by the time I came back), but the payoff was worth it. The last half-hour was really exciting. The ending came abruptly, which got a real chuckle out of me and most of the theater. I wonder what those girls are going to do when they tell the car's owner they totaled it while getting revenge on a man who gets off on vehicular homicide?

Kurt Russel was fantastic. Mike's character was about as interesting as a film like this can make him. We could have gotten a bit more into his cranium, but the last ten minutes as he was cursing and whining and openly moaning to the women told me all I needed to know. The guy can't take what he dishes out.

Actually, I think Death Proof was a better exploitation film than Planet Terror, just because this movie was REALLY made like one. Terror had a lot of parody to it, while Proof seemed like Tarantino had found a script for an old 70's film and just put it into production. The dialogue was boring at times, funny at others, but at no point was it bad dialogue. It dragged on and on, but we at least got something out of it. The girls had character (especially the second group) and you really did feel for them by the time it came around to getting revenge. (When Mike got shot I felt like shouting "YEEEAH! KILL THE ******!") The first half of Proof felt completely like a bad movie of the exploitation/grunge cinema ilk. The second half felt like it was becoming something more, something better. I suppose for as much of a triumph the end of the movie was over its beginning, it failed at fulfilling the true nature of an exploitation film. Those don't usually have such a great climax.

Death Proof - **1/2

Thanks to everyone in this thread for convincing me to watch this amazing and unique cinema experience.

Grindhouse -
    ***1/2

Bones Justice is offline Bring on the noise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Temple Fugate View Post
    Actually, I think Death Proof was a better exploitation film than Planet Terror, just because this movie was REALLY made like one.
    Yes, I agree. If you watch a lot of those old movies, they always have the long, slow build up with lots of talking that doesn't really mean a lot to the overall plot. I never understood why they added so much lame filler in those old films. I think get why it was done in Death Proof now, but when I was sitting through it in the theater, I was kind of like, now what the heck is this nonsense all about? Then when the action got started, I was so drawn in that I forgot all being bored earlier. Afterwards, I started putting it together.

Kind of along the same lines, one other thing that bothered me with both movies -- the cell phones. They just seemed so out of place in both films. Almost everything else in the films looked like they were straight out of the Seventies so this small bit of modern technology didn't fit the setting, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMecca
    The hood ornament on Stuntman Mike's car was a duck.
    A duck? Really? I never would have guessed that even though I suppose it's good advice.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

BatKid is offline The True Batman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidan View Post
    Death Proof was just a dull film overall that I had numerous problems with. Like the absolutely POINTLESS dialogue during the beginning of the second half, how Stuntman Mike's character was completely different in the second half than it was during the first half.
    There's a pretty well accepted theory going the rounds that the second-half actually takes place before the first half. I don't wanna go into a long essay, but basically Stuntman Mike started out as just a guy with a few screws loose who wanted to "mess around" with local girls by almost killing them while in their cars. Of course, it wasn't until he actually met his match, and almost got killed that he decided he'd have to do more than just fool around and actually go all the way by killing them.

Also pretty interesting that during the second half, it starts off with Stuntman Mike taking pics of the girls, and what does the first half end with? Him throwing out 3 pictures, and saying "I need to find me new girlfriends". Hmm.
    "We could have changed the world...NOW...look at us...I've become a political liability...and you...you're a JOKE...I want you...to REMEMBER, Clark...in all the years to come...in your most private moments...I want you to remember MY HAND...AT YOUR THROAT...I want...you to remember...the one man who BEAT you...." - Batman to Superman in DKR

Sandoz is offline Thin Man Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I could praise Grindhouse forever--instead, I'll just say that both movies are excellent in very different ways, and I'm really disappointed that the double feature didn't catch on with the American audience.

Of the two movies, Planet Terror probably has a greater re-watchability value for me, if only because I'm a zombie movie fan. I didn't see anything wrong with Death Proof's pacing or script; I thought it was very tight and well-paced, though the two-hour "extended cut" Tarantino's been talking about seems like a bit much.

I liked the faux trailers too, even the ones I was expecting to hate, like Werewolf Women and Thanksgiving (I have no love for either the Naziploitation genre or Eli Roth). Don't was my favorite--it brought back fond memories of bizarre/cheesy Hammer horror films.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKid View Post
    There's a pretty well accepted theory going the rounds that the second-half actually takes place before the first half. I don't wanna go into a long essay, but basically Stuntman Mike started out as just a guy with a few screws loose who wanted to "mess around" with local girls by almost killing them while in their cars. Of course, it wasn't until he actually met his match, and almost got killed that he decided he'd have to do more than just fool around and actually go all the way by killing them.
    I disagree. Abernathy, Kim, and Zoe certainly beat Mike to death--Abernathy caved in his head with her boot; he isn't coming back from that. Also, the script notes that the events of the second half take place fourteen months after the first. And really, he wasn't just messing around, he was the same sicko from the first half of the film. He believed that he had killed Zoe, after all.

Also pretty interesting that during the second half, it starts off with Stuntman Mike taking pics of the girls, and what does the first half end with? Him throwing out 3 pictures, and saying "I need to find me new girlfriends". Hmm.
    Those weren't pictures of Abernathy and her friends, they were pictures of Jungle Julia and co.
    "As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness that was very pleasurable, until I realized that it wasn't a nectarine at all, but a HUMAN HEAD."
    ~Jack Handey

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kind of along the same lines, one other thing that bothered me with both movies -- the cell phones. They just seemed so out of place in both films. Almost everything else in the films looked like they were straight out of the Seventies so this small bit of modern technology didn't fit the setting, in my opinion.
    I noticed that too, but then I tossed around a few theories. I'm willing to bet the idea Rodriguez and/or Tarantino were going for was the exploitation of the most modern technology as a story element. In Death Proof, text messaging is the focus of at least two scenes. Exploitation movies often focused on innocuous things as it developed characters, often making these objects stand out too much and appear out of place. Cell phones are an easily-exploitable "cool" technology that's very in-style at the moment.

I think we were expecting Grindhouse to be a period film, meaning everything happened thirty or so years ago. But it's very obvious that, while set in rural locations with not much VISIBLE 2006 technology, they are indeed set at the beginning of this century. That's probably what's bothering us so much; the contrast between what a grind house cinema flick used to look like and what a grind house cinema flick would actually look like if it were made today.

Nah, that doesn't make much sense. I just chalked the different car up to one of Tarantino's on-purpose continuity gaffes. Old low-budget movies made mistakes like these all the time. Notice the scene where Mike is explaining his profession at the bar with Tarantino and the three women? After one cutaway Tarantino disappears and he never reappears, but we never see or hear him get up and walk away.

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never understood why they added so much lame filler in those old films.
    Why did they add in so much filler? For filler. Talky exposition costs next to nothing to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Temple Fugate View Post
    Nah, that doesn't make much sense. I just chalked the different car up to one of Tarantino's on-purpose continuity gaffes.
    Although I agree that the second act clearly takes part chronologically after the first, I don't think it's a continuity error at all that he's driving a Charger in the second part and a Nova in the first. The point of 'death proofing' a car is to keep him alive, but the Nova was pretty well trashed, to the point where it probably wasn't worth salvaging.

Why didn't they include this in the States?
    Guild/union issues, if I had to guess.

BatKid is offline The True Batman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandoz View Post
    I disagree. Abernathy, Kim, and Zoe certainly beat Mike to death--Abernathy caved in his head with her boot; he isn't coming back from that. Also, the script notes that the events of the second half take place fourteen months after the first. And really, he wasn't just messing around, he was the same sicko from the first half of the film. He believed that he had killed Zoe, after all.

Those weren't pictures of Abernathy and her friends, they were pictures of Jungle Julia and co.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I still think the scenes presented were chronological. I just read up on the theory and found it interesting, plus there really isn't anything "concrete" that proves it WASN'T out of order.

As for the pics, I'll have to see the movie again to take a closer look. I just remember when he dropped them on the street, 2 of them were facing down, with only one facing up. For the life of me, I can't remember if that one picture was of a girl we saw in the movie.
    "We could have changed the world...NOW...look at us...I've become a political liability...and you...you're a JOKE...I want you...to REMEMBER, Clark...in all the years to come...in your most private moments...I want you to remember MY HAND...AT YOUR THROAT...I want...you to remember...the one man who BEAT you...." - Batman to Superman in DKR

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I still think the scenes presented were chronological. I just read up on the theory and found it interesting, plus there really isn't anything "concrete" that proves it WASN'T out of order.
    Again, I wouldn't say Death Proof was supposed to be chronological as much as it was two completely different movies starring a similar character (played by Kurt Russell) but with subtle differences. Such as a different car and the unnamed "Stuntman Mike"-character lacking the scar he has in the first half.

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    and the unnamed "Stuntman Mike"-character lacking the scar he has in the first half.
    He has the scar in both parts. Around half of the shots of him are from the passenger seat, so it's not as visible, but it's definitely there. You'll see it if you watch it again.

Proof:

plus there really isn't anything "concrete" that proves it WASN'T out of order.
    Watch that bit of footage after "The End" a little closer. There's no way that happened before the first act.

For the life of me, I can't remember if that one picture was of a girl we saw in the movie.
    It was Vanessa Ferlito.

rggkjg1 is offline Cavill = Welling?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before my Blockbuster Video store closed up, I was able to get both films in a buy 3 or 4 for so and so dollars.

Death Proof was the usual Tarantino nonsense (irrelevant dialogue that has nothing to do with the situation at hand followed by graphic violence). None the less, I think Death Proof if Tarantino's "best" film. I also consider this to be the "sequel" to Pulp Fiction since it follows the same "nonsense formula" (irrelevant dialogue, characters we dont learn anything about, graphic action/violence).

Then there's Planent Terror. I sat through the first 30 minutes of this movie and just turned it off. What I saw in those 30 minutes was complete garbage. I honestly cant think of any movie seeing for the first time that I got tired of and turned off before it was over. I usually just stomach it and watch, but this was horrendous. I'm not giving it another chance, so if somehow it get's "better" after the first 30 minutes, thats my "loss".

2 and half to 3 stars for Death Proof, 0 stars for Planet Terror.
    Drop everything you are doing and google "michael keaton birdman". They are making a BIRDMAN movie starring MICHAEL KEATON. (supposedly not related to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's no way Death Proof is QT best. I don't see how you consider it a sequel to Pulp FIction either. By your own criteria all his movies would be sequels or prequels to Pulp Fiction.

rggkjg1 is offline Cavill = Welling?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    There's no way Death Proof is QT best. I don't see how you consider it a sequel to Pulp FIction either. By your own criteria all his movies would be sequels or prequels to Pulp Fiction.
    I'm not exactly a fan of his work. All the movies I've seen by him I bought on sale at 5 bucks each just to see for myself what the big deal was about Quentin Tarantino. I got my 5 bucks worth out of those movies, but nothing much more.
    Drop everything you are doing and google "michael keaton birdman". They are making a BIRDMAN movie starring MICHAEL KEATON. (supposedly not related to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's fair enough. I don't love his stuff, I like some of it though like Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction but yea Death Proof was....like someone doing a bad impersonation of Tarantino. The dialogue really went no where where and the violence seem tacked on and took an eternity to get to. I think he was trying to be like those old movies but missed it by a wide margin because he couldn't not be himself so instead we got this mess.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think he recently admitted it was the worse of his films. Basically I contributed it to the fact he isn't a Fan of horror movies. It felt like he was making fun of them instead if just doing one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2