• *1/2

2 66.67%

0 0%
  • Bomb

0 0%
    A.Magik is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Never Say Never Again" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

If you haven’t seen Sean Connery in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, than you haven’t seen James Bond 007!

“Never Again.” – James Bond
    “Never?”- Domino

Release Date: October 7, 1983
    Studio: Warner Brothers
    Director: Irvin Kershner
    Starring Sean Connery, Kim Basinger, Barbara Carerra, Klaus Maria Brandauer, Bernie Casey, Gavan O’Herlihy, Pat Roach, Max Von Sydow, Edward Fox, Pamela Salem, Alex McCowen, Rowan Atkinson

Plot Summary: On a trip to a health spa, James Bond 007 discovers a plot by SPECTRE to steal nuclear warheads and ransom them to the world nations.

This remake of Thunderball was an unofficial rival Bond film recognized for being Sean Connery’s last return as 007 (as well as his last clean-shaven appearance). Released the same year as Octopussy (interestingly, these two films were my first Bonds), NSNA is, Connery or not, inferior to that film. The story was done well the first time around, and more seriously than this campy remake (then again, what do you expect from screenwriter Lorenzo ‘80’s Flash Gordon/60’s Batman’ Semple Jr.?). Laser wristwatches seem out-of-character for Connery. On a plus we have Barbara Carrera as a worthy successor of the Luciana Paluzzi femme fatale, and its good to see Blofeld return as the omnipotent head of SPECTRE, instead of the main villain (and Max Von Sydow is more European than Gray, Pleasance, and Savalas ever were).

Comments?

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely not a favorite. Good to see Connery as Bond again, though. Highlights for me are the "teaser," Barbara Carerra and her character's end, and the chase sequence with the motorcycle. Otherwise, not very good, IMO. The original planned teaser could have been awesome.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

DarkAngel is offline Lord Vader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2/4 stars

Wasn't any better than I remembered. I liked the ending. The underwater/final battle stuff was well-handled. But beyond that, not much that pulled me in that much. The music stunk. The casting seemed off in places (M was like a caricature, Moneypenny felt completely wrong). Ultimately, a wasted opportunity for Connery's return.
    There are many ingredients in the stew of annoyance.
    --Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy.