Weekend Box Office: 'Gridiron Gang' scores a touchdown!
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson returns to theaters with his moderately critical favored Gridiron Gang with a first place debut of $15 million.
The Black Dahlia debuted as well with a second place take $10.3 million.
The animated Everyone's Hero opened in third place with $6.1 million.
And the last new film to open this weekend was The Last Kiss which opened in fourth place $4.7 million.
And rounding out the top 5 is The Covenant with a fifth place take, $4.7 million, and a $15.7 million total.
Out of the top 12 this weekend is Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (13th), Barnyard: The Original Party Animals (14th), Step Up (16th), and World Trade Center (18th).
Opening next weekend are four new movies. First up is All the King's Men (rated PG-13) with an all-star cast starring Sean Penn, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo, Patricia Clarkson, and Anthony Hopkins.
Up next is Jackass Number 2 (rated R) with Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Ryan Dunn, Steve-O, Jason "Wee Man" Acuña, Chris Pontius, Preston Lacy, Dave England, and Ehren McGhehey.
Next is Flyboys (rated PG-13) with James Franco, Martin Henderson, Jean Reno, Jennifer Decker, David Ellison, Mac McDonald, Tchéky Karyo, and Ian Rose.
And finally we have Jet Li's Fearless (rated PG-13) starring Jet Li, Sun Li, Dong Yong, Nakamura Shidou, and Nathan Jones.
Here are your numbers...
1) Gridiron Gang- $15,000,000 ($15,000,000) NEW!
2) The Black Dahlia- $10,362,000 ($10,362,000) NEW!
3) Everyone's Hero- $6,150,000 ($6,150,000) NEW!
4) The Last Kiss- $4,702,000 ($4,702,000) NEW!
5) The Covenant- $4,700,000 ($15,714,000)
6) Invincible- $3,904,000 ($50,911,000)
7) The Illusionist- $3,751,000 ($23,254,000)
8) Little Miss Sunshine- $3,350,000 ($46,390,000)
9) Hollywoodland- $2,736,000 ($10,536,000)
10) Crank- $2,700,000 ($24,414,000)
11) The Protector- $2,461,000 ($9,044,000)
12) The Wicker Man- $2,115,000 ($20,744,000)
The Clown Prince
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'