1 0.76%

1 0.76%
  • 1/2

5 3.82%
Page 1 of 42 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"X-Men: The Last Stand" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Whose Side Will You Stand On?

"You have no idea. You have no idea what is upon us now." - Professor Charles Xavier

X-Men: The Last Stand
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Release Date: May 26th, 2006
    Director: Brett Ratner
    Starring: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Kelsey Grammar, Anne Paquin, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Vinnie Jones, Aaron Stanford, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Cameron Bright.

Plot Summary: A "cure" for mutancy threatens to alter the course of history. For the first time, mutants have a choice: retain their uniqueness, though it isolates and alienates them, or give up their powers and become human. The opposing viewpoints of mutant leaders Charles Xavier, who preaches tolerance, and Magneto, who believes in the survival of the fittest, are put to the ultimate test – triggering the war to end all wars.

View The Trailers!

Comments? What are your thoughts?

Related Threads:
    -X-Men: The Last Stand DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Last Stand Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X2: X-Men United Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: Astonishing - Gifted Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Marvel Animated Forum
    -Comic Book Culture Forum
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Jor-El is offline Krypton is doomed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess I'll be the first to say it:

This was second only to Fantastic Four on the list of worst comic book movies I have ever seen.
    "He will be that world's man of tomorrow." -Jor-El, Superman: Birthright #1

Gpoliceman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I caught the Thursday Midnight showing at my local Regal Cinemas. This movie and Superman Returns are my two most anticipated films of the summer, so I enjoyed seeing it in very crowded theaters at the first possible screening.

SPOILERS!

I am going to be brief in my opinions because what I liked/didn't like about the movie is very precise.

What I did NOT like:

-Okay, it's official. In EVERY X-Men film (whether directed by Singer or Ratner), Cyclops (Scott) gets the boot, as if the director, writers, producers, whoever, just personally do NOT like his character. Seriously, I think the entire X-Men trilogy suffers because they NEVER developed Cyclops as a character. They basically made him "Jean Grey's boyfriend". That's about as deep as he got. While watching X-Men 3, I was angry watching the rest of the movie after Cyclops dies. More specifically, every time Wolverine did something, I thought: "They should be making Cyclops do this stuff!" For example, I think the entire trilogy would be completely balanced with its characters if, for example: 1) Professor Xavier told BOTH Cyclops and Storm that he expects them to carry on the mansion after he dies. 2) After Xavier's funeral, and they are discussing closing the mansion, Cyclops should of been the first to say "we're not closing the mansion" and Storm should have been in agreement. 3) I have no problem with Wolverine searching out for Jean in the forest scene 4) HOWEVER, the end of the movie should have belonged to Cyclops and Jean - Cyclops should have been at the last battle, he should have been the one saying "hold the line", the one who should have given Logan/Peter/Hank the idea to trick Magneto (dup him into getting stabbed with the cure). 5) While I understand Logan being the one to approach the Pheonix (because he could heal himself while he was being burned by her force), the dialogue Pheonix and Logan exchange made me so angry. When Pheonix asks Logan: "Would you die for them?", I was thinking: This would of worked so much better with Cyclops. Cyclops, being Prof X's surrogate son, and true believer, would have said "Yes, I will die for them all", and it would have worked well for his character to kill his own girlfriend in order to save humanity. After seeing Cyclops as the leader in X-Men 1, seeing him as the loving boyfriend in X-Men 2, it would have worked perfectly for him, in X-Men 3, to stand up for his ideals, and kill the one thing he loved the most (Jean Grey), in order to continue to strive for human and mutant peace. THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THE MOVIE PERFECT!

But instead Cyclops is killed in the first act. The writers are total morons. It did NOTHING for Wolverine's character to have him be the one to kill Jean. He already made his choice to stay with the X-Men and fight alongside them at the end of X2. Him killing Jean to protect humanity was just redunant.

OTHER NOTES:

-I had no problem with Xavier dying. The mentor always dies so the students can rise to the challenge. Look at any fantasy story to see that plot device repeated over and over and over
    -Why take away Magneto's powers, and then in the last scene, show that his powers still exist? What waste.
    -The secret scene at the end of the credits shows Prof X is still alive. I wish it was Cyclops in that hospital bed, not Prof X.

I really liked Beast. I thought he was well done and a great addition to the team.

Angel was a waste.

I dont mind that Rogue lost her powers (if that's even true, since Magneto's last scene shows us the cure doesn't fully work). If you look at ONLY the X-Men movies, Rogue's storyline pretty much follows the path of a mutant who can't stand her powers to the point that it makes perfect sense she would give them up. Her storyline for the movie makes sense. Cyclops storyline for the trilogy makes NO SENSE. X1: Cyclops is the leader, and just okay at it X2: Cyclops gets his butt kicked by Deathstrike and disappears for the whole film. X3: Cyclops has lost his mind (I knew Scott's character was in danger of being ripped to shreds in this movie too when Xavier tells Storm: "Cyclops is a changed man") and then he dies for no reason.

The best X-Men movie is the second one. As a whole, the trilogy is "slightly above average". I don't think I will ever forgive the fact that they gave Wolverine both Wolverine scenes AND all the scenes Cyclops should have gotten. All well, I guess that's star power for you!

Greg

Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El

This was second only to Fantastic Four on the list of worst comic book movies I have ever seen.
    Wow, intersting reaction! I'd love to hear a review from you, Jor-El. For some reason I can't put my finger on, nothing I've seen in the previews has gotten me excited about seeing this film. There seems to be some magic missing (maybe because of the diretor change?). I'm personally undecided if I'm going to go and see this movie. So far, I'm leaning toward skipping it, at least until it's out on DVD. Though a lot of the positive reviews from other TZ posters had me doubting if that's the right call. I'd love to hear you opinions on it.

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

Hades is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El

I hope you are talking about that FF movie from the mid 90s, because if you are talking about last year's FF, I don't know what you were watching.

Anyway, from what I hear, the biggest disappointment of X3 is its running time. Not sure why, but the worlds Extended DVD come to mind.

Frank Castle is offline Sic vis pacem, para bellum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I caught a midnight showing last night and it was fun. This movie is much more action oriented than the last two and I personally liked that style more. I didn't like the fact that Cyclops was featured so little, but Wolverine was featured more and that's always a good thing. The final battle was really cool and seeing Iceman cover himself in a sheet of ice like in the comics was pretty cool as well. Overall, X3 was just a fun movie to see.
    "If the thought of it seems crazy, you were never crazy enough to begin with." -The Punisher

Ajax is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know you couldn't screw up X-Men if you wanted too. Apparently I stand corrected, all you need to do is kill characters (and depower them) left and right. Really, how the hell do you kill Cyclops? I mean its freakin' Cyclops. He didn't even get a cool death scene like Xavier did.

Overall, I consider this movie blasphemous to anything with the name X-Men attached to it. Its not that the movie was bad, they just really screwed it up. Someone said it in there review, Cyclops should of been the one in that last scene. And for some reason, making Juggernaut a mutant really pissed me off. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone who already had second thoughts about the movie. Its not worth the price of admission.

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The title "X-Men: The Last Stand", is a misnomer. It should have been "X-Men: We don't love you anymore Scott Summers. In fact we hate you. You're nothing. Brett Ratner was right for not featuring you prominently in the movie because you mean nothing. In fact, you're forgotten most of the movie because nobody really seems to care. Can you read people's minds? Do you have sharp metal claws and regenerate? Can you multiply into clones of yourself? Are you the Juggernaut *****? No. You shoot lasers out of your eyes but you had to hit yourself on the head when you were a child and you can't control it anymore, because you're a pansy. So in the end, you mean nothing Scott Summers, and that's why nobody loves you, especially Brett Ratner, as well as Bryan Singer. Either that or you're just too hard a character to write for in the movies."

Poor Cyclops. He needs love. But X-Men: The Last Stand, is a pretty good movie all things considered. And stay until the end of the credits, seriously.

I'm somewhat happy though that I'm not the only one irritated at Cyclops' lack of presence in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal
    Angel was a waste, and am I the only one who flashed to "Angels in America" when he flew away?
    I flashed to "Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz" whenever he appeared. He was useless.

rggkjg1 is offline Batman v Superman
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im trying to get my thought's gathered, but here are somethings i can comment on:

- i really enjoyed the opening sequence. i wish it was extended to show us how professor x and magneto met cyclops and storm.

- mystique and her family. they brought it up, so they might as well should have told us that nightcrawler and rogue are her kids.

- where was senator kelly? he could have been a nice addition with the president's crew along with beast. even if it was mystique. after mystique's capture, would they find out that she was kelly for all this time?

- childish name calling between mystique and the guard and kitty and juggernaut. it was humorous, but after watching the movie so many times it's going to get old.

- the ending for the x-men seemed to "happy" for me.

right now those are somethings that come to mind when i think about the movie. im sure over the next couple days i'll be adding things.

i honestly don't know. this could have been a great character movie if they only focused on the phoenix and her fight with the x-men. and if they didn't kill off major characters.
    MICHAEL KEATON IS BIRDMAN
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL TRAILER
    (R rated language)

(supposedly no relation to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman. or maybe it's a DARK, SERIOUS & REALISTIC take on the Hanna-Barbera Birdman!)

Baltofan is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I gave X Men 3 ** out of ***
    I agree, it's just a popcorn movie.

Page 1 of 42 1234567891011 ... LastLast