Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

The Turtles Are Back....In Time

"This is really gonna screw up history." - Casey Jones

Release Date: March 30, 1990
    Studio: New Line Cinema
    Director: Stuart Gillard
    Starring: Elias Koteas, Paige Turco, Stuart Wilson, Sab Shimono, Vivian Wu, Corey Feldman

Plot Summary: When a magic scepter accidentally transports April back through time to 17th Century Japan, the boys take-off in hot pursuit, cowabungling their way out of the sewers right into Samurai-O-Rama! Now they must battle the evil Lord Norinaga to reclaim the magic scepter that will bring them back below the subways of New York City.

Visit the TMNT page on NinjaTurtles.com here.

Related Threads:
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze Talkback (Spoilers)
    -TMNT Talkback (Spoilers)

Comments?
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This movie wasn't much of an action movie and it's not really as good as the other two turtles movies but let me tell you what it did have... some really great cheese. This movie is full of some great jokes and one-liners. Also the Japanese people speak Japanese (subbed in English) and I think that's pretty nifty. It's a fun movie and since it's only about 9 bucks on DVD it's no big commitment. If you've never seen it and you like TMNT or comics and cartoons in general then you probably should at least rent it.

For the latest Toonami news and programming discussion, listen to the weekly Toonami Faithful Podcast

Check out an exclusive interview with Boondocks and Black Dynamite director LeSean Thomas

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    Also the Japanese people speak Japanese (subbed in English) and I think that's pretty nifty.
    Do they? I don't remember that...

Having seen the new series now, I guess the time scepter originated from the Renet stories in the comics.

Honestly I'm afraid to watch this one now. I have it on vhs somewhere. The first movie holds up well, the second just sinks. Is it worth tarnishing my memories of this one?
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

Terminatah is offline Badass Cyborg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie is an abomination. It completely spits in the face of the characters (Splinter especially). I won't even really start going into its every problem, because that's a ten-page essay. But I will say this. Considering the infinite stories that could've been told with the Ninja Turtles, this movie features one of the most unnecessarily asinine plots ever. I'd always wondered what tragic turn of events could have led THIS to be worthy of being the Turtles' third (and final) movie, considering their rich library of characters and adventures. And it never made sense to me.

Until I watched the trailer on the DVD when I got the box set.

The way it starts off like a serious action epic and then all of a sudden, the Ninja Turtles are there; that absurdity is loyal to the spirit of the TMNT, and its nuttier comic book origins. Although I would still much rather have had a gritty inner city crime story like the first one.

-Terminatah
    wuh oh

Patrick Bateman is offline Telling it like it is
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminatah
    Although I would still much rather have had a gritty inner city crime story like the first one.

-Terminatah
    Exactly my thoughts. They had Elias Koteas back as Casey Jones which was fantastic. They could have made a fantastic film, but they didn't.

And on a sidenote, why did the turtle suits get LESS realistic looking as the series progressed? I find it odd how the suits in the '89 film blow away the ones in the '93 film.
    "There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me; only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply... am not... there."

JohnCrichton is offline An astronaut!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember seeing this in the threatre..... don't remember much except asking, "Why...." after it was over.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    Also the Japanese people speak Japanese (subbed in English) and I think that's pretty nifty.
    Wasn't that the case with Tatsu as well?
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRdude
    Wasn't that the case with Tatsu as well?
    Tatsu's voice wasn't the actor's though, and it wasn't subbed.
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

Terminatah is offline Badass Cyborg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tatsu would speak English though, because he was in present-day New York City. Not feudal Japan.

Incidentally, however, the Japanese people in TMNT III speak English, but it is explained early on that they do so because Japan is involved in heavy trade with the west, so naturally they would have learned the language.

-Terminatah
    wuh oh

Brettfern is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdp
    Release Date: March 30, 1990
    That was when the original movie came out. Not this one.
    MAKE IT A GREAT DAY EVERYBODY!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast