0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
    Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"A History of Violence".... by History, of course they mean "Presently Occuring"...

Like This Thread!

A History of Violence (2005)
    Directed by: David Cronenberg

Writing credits (WGA): John Wagner (graphic novel) and Vince Locke

Plot Outline: An average family is thrust into the spotlight after the father commits a seemingly self-defense murder at his diner.

Cast:
    Viggo Mortensen
    .... Tom Stall/Joey Cusack
    Maria Bello .... Edie Stall
    Ed Harris .... Carl Fogarty
    William Hurt .... Richie Cusack
    Ashton Holmes .... Jack Stall
    Peter MacNeill .... Sheriff Sam Carney
    Stephen McHattie .... Leland Jones
    Greg Bryk .... William Orser
    Sumela Kay .... Judy Danvers
    Kyle Schmid .... Bobby Jordan
    Deborah Drakeford .... Charlotte
    Gerry Quigley .... Mick
    Heidi Hayes .... Sarah Stall
    Aidan Devine .... Charlie Roarke
    Bill MacDonald .... Frank Mulligan

Review (Spoilers): That movie was STUPID AS HELL. There's just no meat to it. I can't give it a half star because the acting is very powerful, but they're not SAYING anything with this film. There's no MEAT to it. There's no HISTORY of violence!! There are tiny details that are thrown clumsily at the audience without any exploration, many plot devices that are introduced without explanation, and unnecessary scenes (like "Cheerleader Sex Romp") that waste everyone's time when they could be spending time showing what Joey's life was. You know.. HIS HISTORY!! OF VIOLENCE!! This is the most confusingly titled movie I've ever seen.

No, I wasn't expecting an action film, I was expecting a psychological thriller and this wasn't it. It had the pace and scattershot direction of Napoleon Dynamite, without any climax or structure. When Joey fights with his brother, there's no sense of finality to it, there's no "here it comes, the final scene." And it couldn't have been more underplayed by the film's general lack of music. When Joey sits down with his family trying to fit back in and the scene fades out, I raised my hands in awe saying "Uh.. I guess that's the end?!"

There's a difference between leaving things open to interpretation and just giving people a Creative Writing assignment. The film spent more time having people slowly walk from one part of the room to another, slowly sit down, slowly get up, slowly do menial tasks-- it's like 24 but there's no international espionage-- than set up or flesh out anything. What is the extent of Joey's psychological problems, is he actually schizofrenic, why did he leave the business, what did he do in the desert to himself, why does Jack have the same killer instincts as his father, how can the family just accept him back in, why does Edie have such bizarre sexual quirks, why is so much time wasted showing people NOT DOING ANYTHING ON CAMERA?! People do not move or act this slowly in real life, even when extremely deep in thought. Mr. Cronenberg just needed to pad the film out since the screenplay was thinner than the paper it was typed on. I mean, before the two men come into the diner there's almost 20 minutes of stupid crap that has nothing to do with the plot. WE UNDERSTAND THAT TOM IS AN EVERYDAY FAMILY MAN. We don't need to see Jack catching a fly ball, Tom having the most awkward sex filmed in an R movie in some time, or the two robbers spending FIVE MINUTES leaving a hotel in REAL TIME. I wonder if this film even had any editting done, it seems like they tried to throw in as much extra footage of nothing important as they could to stall for time.

I give Cronenberg leeway because he's pretentious America's favorite little moviemaker, so I'm not going to give this movie a 0 and get his fans all mad. And I bet all sorts of people will come up with horsecrap allegories and metaphors to cover up their denial over just how dumb a film this was since THERE'S NOTHING TO THIS FILM. It's told as basic and unsurprising as possible, without resolving any of the mystery, or on the other side of the coin trying to act like the mystery isn't important. The film has no motive, and it has no reason for the audience to be interested. You have to force yourself to be engaged by History of Violence. I shouldn't have to be doing the work! Just a bad, bad, bad, overhyped movie. Don't care about the source material or what Cronenberg did in the past... not interested in History of The Guy Who Made Videodrome And How He's Such a Misunderstood Genius. I'm only interested in the History of Violence. Too bad I didn't get to see any of it!

Artimus Gigan is offline Aeris Fries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey did they show Joey's friend towards the end of the movie hanging?I've read the book and I was curious on how they handled that part

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus Gigan
    Hey did they show Joey's friend towards the end of the movie hanging?I've read the book and I was curious on how they handled that part
    Spoiler:
    If Joey had a friend he was not in the movie. Joey only has enemies in this film whom he kills, as well as his brother whom he also kills. Such moments of violence are cool if only because there is such long pauses of NOTHING that a sudden SOMETHING seems much more interesting than it actually is.

Caffeine King is offline what are you running from?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I walked in today expecting an Oscar-caliber type movie...that's not what I got when I walked out.

I hated this movie.

I agree the sex scenes were pointless, as was the subplot with the son, so damn cliche...the big, tough, buff jock with the team jacket bullying the helpless whimpy nerd...gimme a break!

Moments in the film when I thought to myself "what the f---?!" was when Tom/Joey was shooting at those three mobsters that came to his house and the wife was at the window screaming the little girl walks up to her calmly and says "what's wrong Mommy?" ...as if she didn't hear those gun shots! And a kid's mother screaming is enough to get any kid tense/nervous but the little girl was calm as could be.

Also, another wtf moment was after he shot the mob guys, where'd they put the bodies? The sheriff or anybody didn't know about it but the family or if they did they didn't acknowledge that fact...or I didn't notice it.

and the last wtf moment for me was when the wife walks in pissed finding out about Tom/Joey's former lifestyle and Tom grabs her and they have sex on the stairs and then she fumes off upstairs when they're done.

I really cannot understand why this movie is getting the rave reviews it's been getting. I thought it was awful.

Sigma is offline Simply Phenomenal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine King
    I walked in today expecting an Oscar-caliber type movie...that's not what I got when I walked out.

I hated this movie.

I agree the sex scenes were pointless, as was the subplot with the son, so damn cliche...the big, tough, buff jock with the team jacket bullying the helpless whimpy nerd...gimme a break!

Moments in the film when I thought to myself "what the f---?!" was when Tom/Joey was shooting at those three mobsters that came to his house and the wife was at the window screaming the little girl walks up to her calmly and says "what's wrong Mommy?" ...as if she didn't hear those gun shots! And a kid's mother screaming is enough to get any kid tense/nervous but the little girl was calm as could be.

Also, another wtf moment was after he shot the mob guys, where'd they put the bodies? The sheriff or anybody didn't know about it but the family or if they did they didn't acknowledge that fact...or I didn't notice it.

and the last wtf moment for me was when the wife walks in pissed finding out about Tom/Joey's former lifestyle and Tom grabs her and they have sex on the stairs and then she fumes off upstairs when they're done.

I really cannot understand why this movie is getting the rave reviews it's been getting. I thought it was awful.
    Are you a fan of Cronenberg's previous films?

I haven't seen History of Violence yet because I had to see Serenity first, but I plan on seeing it tomorrow afternoon, im a huge fan of Cronenberg, but his movies are usually of the love it or hate it type.

g_UnIt_GaNsTa is offline |||||||||DRINK|||POWERADE |||||
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hated this movie.
    Oh wow small world.
    hoo boy

Mynd Hed is offline Holy blue on a popo!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had posted this in the box office thread since, at the time, the movie wasn't in wide release and so I figured posting a talkback thread was premature:

A very nice man at the local comic shop gave my girlfriend and I a pair of free tickets to a preview screening of A History of Violence, which we saw today.

I very much enjoyed it, but it did have its flaws. It can't seem to decide whether to be a serious drama with film noir overtones (in the plot if not the direction) or a very, very black comedy. I enjoyed both aspects of the film, but thought it would have been stronger as a whole if it had chosen one approach and stuck with it. The direction was excellent, especially in the fight scenes, which do a wonderful balancing act between establishing whichever character currently needs to be established as a capital-B Badass as such without descending into Jet Li-esque silliness.
    Viggo's lead performance is understated and quite effective, and as a whole the supporting cast backs him up well. The one exception is his young daughter, whose character feels unnecessary to the plot and is played by a particularly wooden space alien posing as a little girl.
    Also, there's an unnecessary and uncomfortable scene involving a staircase which we shall all do our utmost to pretend doesn't happen.
    On the whole, the film succeeds-- it plays with cliches, but never quite buys into them, and keeps you guessing because it is clever enough that you know that the plot could go in any of several directions while still being believable and satisfying. I give it a B+.

Caffeine King is offline what are you running from?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma
    Are you a fan of Cronenberg's previous films?
    Haven't seen any of them but if they're similar to A History of Violence then I don't think I'm much a fan of his.

Sigma is offline Simply Phenomenal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't seen any of them but if they're similar to A History of Violence then I don't think I'm much a fan of his.
    All his movies are quite different.

I saw History of Violence today and loved it. It wasn't Oscar material, but it was good and I really enjoyed it. The violence was great, the story kept me interested, and it was a bit different.

I enjoyed Serenity alot more though.