0 Post(s)

"The Island" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

You have Been Chosen

"You're not real. You're copies of people out here in the world." - McCord

Release Date: July 22, 2005
    Studio: DreamWorks Pictures
    Director: Michael Bay
    Starring: Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Djimon Hounsou, Michael Clarke Duncan, Steve Buscemi, Sean Bean, Shawnee Smith, Noa Tishby

Plot Summary: Lincoln Six-Echo (McGregor) is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid-21st century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to the "The Island"—reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet—until he makes a terrible discovery that everything about his existence is a lie…and that he is actually more valuable dead than alive. Together with a beautiful fellow resident named Jordan Two-Delta (Johansson), Lincoln makes a daring escape to the outside world he’s never known. Now, with the forces of the institute that once housed them relentlessly hunting them down, Lincoln and Jordan engage in a desperate race for their lives.

Visit the official movie site here.

Comments?

Get your popcorn. Michael Bay's movie of the summer has arrived.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it wrong for the idea behind this fluff to appeal to me? Seems to me like the plot combines Truman Show, Logan's Run and Matrix and steals the best elements of each. Why WOULDN'T this work?

They sure made the promo advertising confusing, though. As far off as three months ago I was seeing banner ads on the Internet. Then after seeing all the TV ads AND the trailer before Batman Begins, I STILL had no idea what was going on. It was only after reading the newspaper review that it was all explained. Until then, I knew that a giant neon "R" falls from a skyscraper in this film, but little else.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Spongebrain2.0 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie had a $120 million budget, NOT counting promotional budget......On Friday....it took in $4.3 million......This film is probably going to go down as one of the biggest bombs of all time
    "Michael Ian Black loves Motor Scooters"

"In his entire term as President of the Residence board, Bob Feldman has NEVER stated his opinion on motor scooters....NEVER STATED HIS OPINION ON MOTOR SCOOTERS!?!?!?!"-Stella

RD! Cartoons, Dammit! Crew
    RD! is offline Never go see Dr. Acula
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't want to start a new thread, so, loo:
    "Clonus" director says he's seen this clone story before

By Mark Rahner, Seattle Times DVD writer

Friday, July 22, 2005

Here's an irony alert — and a lawsuit alert: a new movie about clones appears to be an uncredited clone of another movie.

Director Michael Bay's new science-fiction blockbuster has drawn comparisons to the '70s classics "Logan's Run" and "Coma." But "The Island" looks so much like 1979's "Clonus," aka "Parts: The Clonus Horror" (available on DVD from Mondo Macabro, $19.95) that its director says he may seek a federal injunction to stop "The Island's" distribution.

"Clonus" is an obscure cheapie with a fascinating premise, best known now because of the ridiculing it took in a "Mystery Science Theater 3000" episode. Viewing one after the other will make you do a double take.

In Bay's movie, the closely monitored, mod-clothed, naive residents of a futuristic colony win a lottery to go away to a promised land called "The Island."

In "Clonus," the closely monitored, mod-clothed, naive residents of a futuristic colony are chosen to go to a promised land called "America."

In both movies, a male resident goes on the run when he discovers that the promised land is a lie, and that he's part of a colony of clones being grown to harvest their organs when the rich human originals ail. Both feature an evil scientist keeping his project a secret from the public at all costs by sending assassins after the runner.

Reached at his home in Ashburn, Va., "Clonus" director Robert S. Fiveson said Wednesday that he'd sneaked into a preview screening of "The Island" the previous night. "I went in hoping and praying that it was enough different than 'Clonus' so that I could just put my mind at rest and move on, but I can't. Because astonishingly enough, it not only seems to rest on the very skeleton of the film, ... there were enough (similarities) in the movie in the first third that I thought this cannot be happenstance or casual."

Fiveson said he'd known about the numerous Web sites and message boards that have been pointing out the similarities — even of some specific shots: "Subplots, characterizations, even down to the butterfly getting through the filter! And the chase scenes were almost in the same order and same locale."

What went through Fiveson's head as Bay's movie unfolded?

"I was thinking 'Jeez, this looks so much better than my movie. I wish I had the money.' "

"Clonus" cost $257,000. "The Island's" budget was $120 million.

Press materials for "The Island" tout its "original screenplay," which an enthusiastic Steven Spielberg sent to Bay. The story is credited to Caspian Tredwell-Owen, who co-wrote the screenplay with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. There's no mention of Bob Sullivan, who wrote the "Clonus" story and co-wrote the screenplay with Ron Smith, with an "adaptation" credit going to Fiveson and Myrl A. Schreibman.

Although he's been talking with lawyers, Fiveson said he doesn't know what he wants from "The Island" filmmakers or its studio, DreamWorks. "I'm not in this to make money, frankly." However, he said, "I wouldn't mind if this thing went to a jury trial at all."

Mark Rahner: mrahner@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company
    Zimed.
    There are nights when I think Sal Paradise was right, Boys and girls in America, have such a sad time together...

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebrain2.0
    This movie had a $120 million budget, NOT counting promotional budget......On Friday....it took in $4.3 million......This film is probably going to go down as one of the biggest bombs of all time
    Boy you really like your hyperbole.

Now I have no interest in this film, but I'm surprised they're actually getting sued.

TimTwoFace is offline Mod, and Minotaur Bait
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebrain2.0
    I think the movie looks decent, but you're right - I doubt it will make that much money back. The fact that, in its opening weekend, it's only managed to get FIVE showings a day at my local theatre, is something. (Most other big releases on their opening weekend this year seem to get about 15.)

-Tim
    CANADA

guinaevere is offline agent provocateur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, SJam!

Seeing the ads, I immediately thought it was a remake of Parts/Clonus.

Now I'm spoiled for the OVA, and I've only watched the original "Bubbles Vanderbilt" series and the followup "Bubbles Vanderbilt Z"
    --Aurora Szalinski
    I have another question, as well... what happened to the first two Bubbles Vanderbilts?
    --Kury Wagner

Mike Spartz is offline Underrated Performer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw this movie yesterday and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

WHAT WORKED
    • Casting. Scarlett Johansson and Ewan Mcgregor share a cute big brother/little sister relationship on-screen which is a nice refreshment over the usual male/female pairings in todays action movies. However I could've done without the sex scene because it was pointless commercial fluff. Of the supporting cast, Sean Bean is wonderfully sinister as Dr. Merrick and Djimon Hounsou plays his part well as the morally conflicted Luarent.
    • Music and Imagery. A trademark of Michael Bay films is his use of color and sound. "The Island" is no expection. From the moment the first frame is shown, we are treated to blue skies and a woman in white. Soft, soothing music plays in the background as we feel our minds slowly dissolving into the sea. As we move closer to the woman, we see that she is standing on a boat. A trace of gold lies upon her slender shoulders. The gold, we quickly realize, is her hair and soon she is beckoning to us with her arm outstreched and her eyes hungry. So begins the Island. Bay's immpressive use of color continues to show thoughout the film. The end scene in particular is reminesant of the end shot of the clone troopers in Star Wars Episode II.
    • The general story. I liked the idea that the US government created a underground lab of clones for the sole purpose of using them as replacement vehicles for their clients. This could very well become a real possibility in the next ten-twenty years. Also, it was fun during the first half of the movie to see Lincon figure out that something was wrong and then to escape with Jordon in tow.
    WHAT DIDN'T WORK

• The weak ending. Predictably, Bay made Laurent a hero in the end and as such, all the clones were freed from their underground prison. I wouldn't have minded it as much if Laurent didn't show his branded hand - proving that he was once controlled as well. That just seemed cheesy and lame.
    • The plotholes. Ok, I know this is a action movie and I know I'm not suppose to take it seriously but did it make sense that Lincon was the first one of the see "the light" when there was another clone who'd been alive for seven years? Shouldn't old timer have gained his clients memories much sooner than Six-Echo?
    OVERALL ASSESSMENT : The Island is a fun action thrill-ride and a suitable summer flick. However, nothing in movie is stuff that we haven't seen before. Also, kids under the age of 13 shouldn't see this movie because it's got coarse language and some nudity. 4/5 stars.