"Fantastic Four" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Prepare For The Fantastic!

"It's Clobberin' time!" - The Thing

Release Date: July 8th 2005
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Director: Tim Story
    Screenwriter: Michael France, Mark Frost
    Starring: Michael Chiklis, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Jessica Alba, Julian McMahon, Maria Menounos, Kerry Washington, Hamish Linklater
    Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
    MPAA Rating: PG-13
    Related Discussion (Comics): Fantastic Four: Getting to Know the Comics
    Related Discussion (Cartoons): Fantastic Four: From the Big Screen to the Animated Small Screen
    Official Website: www.fantasticfourmovie.com

Plot Summary: Marvel's first family of comic superheroes takes the world by storm as the longest running comic book series in history comes to the big screen. The Fantastic Four are: Reed Richards / Mr. Fantastic, who can elongate his body; Susan Storm / Invisible Woman, who not only can become invisible at will but can render other objects invisible; Johnny Storm / Human Torch, who can shoot fire from his finger tips and bend flame; and Ben Grimm / The Thing, a hideously misshapen monster with superhuman strength. Together, they battle the evil Doctor Doom.

Comments?
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Hades is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I do not care how many negative reviews this has been getting, I'm still going to see it tomorrow. It is unfortunate that all the reviews I read have the need to compare it to Spider-Man or Batman.

BatKid is offline The True Batman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The comparison to Batman isn't fair, but for Spider-Man, I think so. I did plan on seeing this, but man this has been getting some horrid reviews. I didn't expect characterization or a mind blowing plot, but some nice sfx and good fun. But even THEN, the reviews said it failed in that. So I don't know....
    "We could have changed the world...NOW...look at us...I've become a political liability...and you...you're a JOKE...I want you...to REMEMBER, Clark...in all the years to come...in your most private moments...I want you to remember MY HAND...AT YOUR THROAT...I want...you to remember...the one man who BEAT you...." - Batman to Superman in DKR

The Electric Knight is offline I believe in Gotham City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Went and saw it today, and I wasn't expecting much. I got pretty much what I expected. It certainly wasn't horrible, but it definately was a bad attempt at translating the comic, and had big, glaring faults that you just couldn't help but notice. Some of it was fun.

What really irked me was the exposition. Don't get me wrong - I love exposition (Batman Begins had a tonne of it and it worked). But the exposition in this film is contrived, one-dimensional and boring, going far longer than it needed to. None of the characters were strong enough to pull off such backstory and such a long origin tale. The first time we see them truly work as a team is at the end, and it's really a case of "was that all?".

What I liked:
    • The costumes - both for F4 and Doom. Shame they weren't used enough.
    • Johnny Storm. As annoying as he became at times, his character was easily the strongest. At the same time however, his powers were underused.
    What I didn't like:
    • Doom. Utterly unconvincing, and a serious Norman Osborne clone (a bad one at that).
    • The dialogue/script. Really poor conversations, ear-damaging one liners.
    • Acting. All of it was bland, sometimes cringeworthy. And I'd sooner fault the weak dialogue and script rather than the actors for this.
    • Visually, it was like a trip back to the early 90s/late 80s, in a bad way. Especially for the Thing. I know many were anti-CGI, pro-Man-in-Suit, but it really looked jarring. These days CGI can be fantastic, I would have rather seen it than this.
    • The product placement. Oh dear, this was bad - particularly in the one scene where Johnny is talking with the media and giving the four their names.
    This was kind of like a movie that didn't know what it wanted to be when it grew up, so it tried to emulate many things from other comic book movies, doing each with very poor effort and with a lack of skills or talent. Forgettable, but not entirely unforgivable, in ways Daredevil, Catwoman and Batman & Robin were.

Spongebrain2.0 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing it tonight....I can't wait to see some possible Jessica Alba skin
    "Michael Ian Black loves Motor Scooters"

"In his entire term as President of the Residence board, Bob Feldman has NEVER stated his opinion on motor scooters....NEVER STATED HIS OPINION ON MOTOR SCOOTERS!?!?!?!"-Stella

Sigma is offline Simply Phenomenal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I have a few free tickets so I will be seeing it tonight. I think I will have fun with it, but I will not take it seriously and see it as more of a parody of the Fantastic Four.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ZorBrak is offline I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't seen it. I am going to...and I think it will be fun. I don't give 2 craps on a driveway what these critics say. I tend to find most of them less-than-free-thinking. Most of them thrive on trends, cliches, pathetic Oscar seeking pitches, and other elements of unoriginality. Don't forget over-rated, over-casted faces.

None of them can go into a movie like this and so "Okay. FF is an old, fun, campy comic that never took itself in the veign of the somewhat adult toned X-Men, or dramatic Spider-Man. It has no dark overtones, and never has. It's like the old Batman Spoof. This should be like Batman and Robin...should have been...without the gay undertones. About a year ago Disney made a knockoff of this idea and it was praised like every other 3D film because it kept kids quiet and was in 3D....Wooooooooooooooowie. My brain make me smart."

(Anyone ever notice those stupid 3d knock-off movies are always about finding/rescuing/or returning a child? ...such original writing)

The main gripe I keep hearing from these "well-informed-high-brow...critics" is ..."didn't we see this in The Incredibles?" Here is my answer for you moron critics who are about as informed as a rock and possess the attention spans of toddlers....The Incredibles was a parody of the Fantastic Four comic. Which is nearly half a century old. Idiots. FF was first. I am going to hope it is campy, simple in plot, high in humor, heavy in the kind of action that wows a 12 year old, and maybe slightly serious towards the end. I think it will be exactly that. I'll reserver judgement until I see it of course...but I think this is just another case of critics revealing how stupid the human race is on a whole. Though...Zorbrak has made mistakes...........from time to time. Oh dear oh dear.

ManicWebb is offline You were cold as ice...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorBrak
    The main gripe I keep hearing from these "well-informed-high-brow...critics" is ..."didn't we see this in The Incredibles?" Here is my answer for you moron critics who are about as informed as a rock and possess the attention spans of toddlers....The Incredibles was a parody of the Fantastic Four comic. Which is nearly half a century old. Idiots. FF was first. I am going to hope it is campy, simple in plot, high in humor, heavy in the kind of action that wows a 12 year old, and maybe slightly serious towards the end. I think it will be exactly that. I'll reserver judgement until I see it of course...but I think this is just another case of critics revealing how stupid the human race is on a whole. Though...Zorbrak has made mistakes...........from time to time. Oh dear oh dear.
    What gets me about a lot of these negative reviews is that they keep saying stuff like "it's been done before," although not necessarily in regards to The Incredibles. Roger Ebert actually said, and I quote, "you see one fire truck saved from falling off a bridge, you've seen them all." Then again, this is the guy who hated Spider-Man and X-Men, and called X2 dumb. So it's not like I see eye-to-eye with the guy.

My point is that when the latest comic book film is based off of one of Marvel's oldest, it's gonna feel like you're watching something that's been done before-- especially when Dr. Doom is basically turned into Norman Osborn. I think I read another review that basically said this movie would've been fine if it had come out before 2000, when the ante of comic-films had been upped.

rggkjg1 is offline Batman v Superman
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    fantastic four was fantastic. i really thought this would be a bad movie, but i think the portrayal of the characters were done right. i was really glad to see more of an emphasis on each member of the fantastic four about their specific power and how it affects their life, rather than big action sequences. although it seemed like most of the spotlight was on the thing, i think every one else got a fair share of screen time. i am also glad that dr doom's latveria past was not left out, since i haven't heard or read about any indication that anything about latveria would be in this movie. i really hope to see this movie again. before i saw the movie with my negative feelings twards it, i knew 2 things would be good about this movie:

1. ioan gruffudd as reed richards. i had a feeling he would be good as mr.fantastic, i never seen any of this other works but i just had a feeling about him. after seeing the movie, ioan gruffudd is reed richards.

2. stan lee. yep, the best stan lee cameo. mr. lee plays a mail man and welcomes the team to the baxter building. and he speaks too!

i am looking forward to future fantastic four movies, i would like there to be a "trilogy" but i think we're going to have to see box office returns and what the critics say. one thing i do want if there is a sequel, galactus.
    Last edited by rggkjg1; 07-09-2005 at 01:57 PM.
    MICHAEL KEATON IS BIRDMAN
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL TRAILER
    (R rated language)

NOW PLAYING. OFFICIAL TOONZONE TALKBACK

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast