Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MonkeyFunk is offline Kids and grown-ups love me so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A woman tied to a railway track.

Like This Thread!
    We all know that the woman tied to a railway track is a really old movie cliche, right? But how many movies have actually used it seriously? I mean, it may only have been one movie, but seems like more because of the amount of parodies. Come to think of it, it may even have started as a parody. Where on Earth did it come from?

Another thing - what started the idea of villains having top hats and rwirly moustaches?
    The Daily Express is a conservative, British tabloid newspaper. It is a middle-market title, the flagship title of Express Newspapers and is currently owned by Richard Desmond. As of December 2008, it has a circulation of 728,296.

TheEvilClown is offline Evil Laughter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is only one answer to this question. And it all started with Dudley Do-right cartoon.
    "Right here Right now you are going to face Justice" Jack Bauer

Bradley316 is offline Alyson Hannigan's Love Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTurnip
    We all know that the woman tied to a railway track is a really old movie cliche, right? But how many movies have actually used it seriously? I mean, it may only have been one movie, but seems like more because of the amount of parodies. Come to think of it, it may even have started as a parody. Where on Earth did it come from?
    Ah! Now this is a subject of which I am very familiar. I know a lot about this.

The first known instance in which a woman is tied to railroad tracks in film came from a 1914 twenty part movie serial known as The Perils of Pauline. An actress known as Pearl White played Pauline Marvin. And no, this was not a parody at all. Today, it is highly silly, but at the time in 1914, this was one of the first "cliffhanger" movie serials and were taken quite seriously.

As for other movies, I can name several that have used this cliche. I can even name TV shows and the episode names that this device was used in if you'd like a list.

How about them apples?

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley316
    I can even name TV shows and the episode names that this device was used in if you'd like a list.
    Would an episode of Disney Channel's EVEN STEVENS be on that list? I don't recall the episode title at the moment, but I could look through my tapes to find it if you'd like it.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Bradley316 is offline Alyson Hannigan's Love Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24
    Would an episode of Disney Channel's EVEN STEVENS be on that list? I don't recall the episode title at the moment, but I could look through my tapes to find it if you'd like it.
    Indeed it is! It happened to Tawny played by Margo Harshman.

The episode is "Louis in the Middle" from season 1, episode #6 according to my list.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yup, that's the one. (Technically, it was episode 5, but it was the sixth episode Disney Channel aired.)
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think we stumbled onto someone's hobby ^_^

Remembering Ben Feld,
    AKA Shogunthethird.
    A great friend, taken before his time.
    Memorial Thread

http://conekiller.deviantart.com/

Rook is offline On the high edge of freedom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    at least "stay tuned" was a little different, she was tied to a hay wagon on the railroad tracks standing up.
    deviantart || gametrailers || mmorpg
    -----------------------------------------
    "The hammer of justice is unisex!" - Batman

Rover_Wow is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And there's a Popeye short ("She Sick Sailors") where Popeye simply punches a train headed for Olive Oyl. Which he also did in one of the early B&W shorts.
    What would you like to do today?
    * Help Hey Arnold! fans get closure to their series: Go here and/or here (preferably, both).
    * Get Road Rovers another season: Go here, then.

EightOh is offline They're fake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley316
    Indeed it is! It happened to Tawny played by Margo Harshman.

The episode is "Louis in the Middle" from season 1, episode #6 according to my list.
    And I thought I had no life!
    What's offensive about the most religious instrument ever?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast