• 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smallville "Onyx" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

I am so sorry this wasn't up earlier! I hope you all remembered fresh Smallville returned tonight! The last new episode was Lucky way back on March 2.

Lex vs. Lex! Here is the official preview from TheWB.com.

Smallville #4-17 "Onyx"
    A glimpse of the future Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum) is revealed after a kryptonite explosion splits Lex in two and his evil side - Alexander - is released. Alexander immediately imprisons Lex in the mansion and begins his rampage by trying to kill Clark (Tom Welling) and Chloe (Allison Mack) in the lab, jousting with Lionel (John Glover) and convincing him to return to the dark side and finally, threatening to close the Talon unless Lana (Kristin Kreuk) moves in with him.

Jensen Ackles, Annette O'Toole and John Schneider also star. Terrence O'Hara directed the episode written by Steven S. DeKnight.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Phantasm is offline Bittersweet Symphony.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Smallville is in desparate need of new writers. This episode had ALL THE MAJOR events taken from OTHER materials! What was up with the Batman line, "I want you to remember Clark, the one man that beat you." (Or something along the lines) Also that Kryptonite ring is a direct copy of Batman! If that isn't enough, they decided to add that little imitation of Man in the Iron Mask.

Completely unoriginal and an inspisid chain of events happening all in the course of one episode. Lex vs Lex could have been handled better but they decided to stick with in-your-face, so called 'dramatic' confrontations and embarrasingly overdone monolgoues that are supposed to hint at the future.

Okay, so Lana and Lex are going to have a fling now? Isn't Lana/Clark/Chloe/Lios/Jason thing boring enough already? I am sick of every male who appears on screen falling desparately in love with Lana.I m sick of seeing her oh-i'm-in-such-a-mess speeches. I am sick of the 'tension' between her and Clark!!!

And enough of this 'We are Luthors' Crap. Its reached a point when I simply want to roll my eyes at those moments. Big deal.We got the idea that Lex and Lionel are basically egotistical manipulators live out of Soap Operas!

I am sick of this 'unintentional out of character' breakdowns where major events take place only for the plot to be where it was when the episode started just becausue a character can't be held accountable for their actions.

3/5. Only because Lex still came off as charismatic.
    Last edited by Phantasm; 04-15-2005 at 12:40 PM.

"Don't forget us when you're famous!"

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *points above* Crack that whip! Whip it! Whip it good!

Yeah, this seemed like a pretty bad episode for the show to return on to me as well (thought not as bad as he just made it sound). When I saw Lex in the iron mask going "AWWWRRRGHHH! EWWWWRRRGGHHH!!" like King Kong in chains, I thought "After Lex kills Clark and Chloe, he's going to kill the cameraman who shot that scene so the video evidence of his bad acting is destroyed." At least, if he's a LUTHOR.

Guys, everybody in Smallville wants Lana. Everybody. Clark's mom wants Lana. Krypto the Superdog wants Lana. Maybe Lana should get that iron mask--it might save her a lot of future stalkers.

Next week, WHO TAKES CLARK TO THE PROM?? Start your guesses now! I'm hoping for Lois, to be prophetic.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

stwasm is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader
    Clark's mom wants Lana.
    That's pretty interesting. I've always liked Clark's mom, personally.

Sorry. Couldn't resist!
    "Luck. That's what it all boils down to, doesn't it? The smallest break one way or another. It can change a life or destroy it. And you can't fight it. No matter how strong you are."

"I believe the man that you're looking for is the same man who beat Samuel here 'til he cried like a little girl."

"Well, I've certainly got to hand it to you for the meticulous care with which you have executed your finely-formulated machinations in extricating us from this devastating dilemma."

PeterFries is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've sort of stopped watching this show on a regular basis, but I swear this is the third episode I've seen this season where a major character turns evil briefly and all the plot threads seem to come to a head before the inevitable drinking game moment where things are reset back to status quo again and it's revealed that the character doesn't remember anything that they went through.

I understand that this is a way to give the principal actors their chance to break out of the series' formula and stretch their role out a bit, but knowing it's going to turn out to be the TV equivalent of a hoax or imaginary tale robs the story of all drama. Before the second, evil Lex was revealed in the opener, I was thinking that the setup was a nifty twist on the Silver Age Lex origin.

It's weird that the biggest strain in credibility on the show for me isn't Clark having superpowers or meteor rocks causing anomalies or mystical tatoos or split personalities and instead that we're supposed to swallow the idea that the thirtysomething looking actors are still somehow in high school and that Smallville is somehow still a remote rural noplace town in spite of everything.

AdamYJ is offline The Saturday Morning Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh my God! There's an evil Lex Luthor!

Wait a minute . . . that sounds more than a little redundant.

Anyway, it was nice to see Smallville Lex playing a part similar to the traditional comic book Lex Luthor, right down to the kryptonite ring. I think we all knew that Lex wouldn't remember in the end.

Beefy is offline Get to work Toei!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Black Kryptonite... Bah! I want blue Kryptonite.

I'm going to miss the "new and improved" Lionel. Looks like we're back to the old evil Lionel.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.

Metroid_spy is offline Talkshow Hosts!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dang... I forgot there was a fresh episode yesterday! Well I hope they do a re run sometime soon.
    Make the best of it. No one can buy memories that last a life time...

Supremus is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Fresh" is hardly the right way to describe this steaming pile of youknowwhat.

The show keeps playing on the exact same ideas over, and over, and over again, and OMG how annoying is Chloe's relentlessly stupid hinting that she knows Clark's secret, and OMG how stupid is Clark for not getting it?

Was there a little bit of Lex-Red and Lex-Blue going on with the lighting in this episode?

STARTOUNZ is offline Best buds since the Stone Age
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Black Kryptonite... Bah! I want blue Kryptonite.
    Or better yet Red-K that mutates Clark in various ways instead of just making him evil or less inhibited.

Supremus is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How long before the comedy episode where Pink K makes Clark gay and he finally acts on all his unresoved feelings for Lex? Those two have been pouting at each other for years now, and they haven't had any action since the mouth-to-mouth in the pilot. Isn't it time for some forbidden man-love?

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Uh.....can we calm down? I agree this was a repetitive episode, but everyone is exaggerating things. I've only seen the old "stuff happens, then everyone forgets about it" thing used three times this season before this episode. The Alicia thing was original. And as crazy as it looks, the Lana's-a-witch thing is original too. I think, to some extent, they DO care about what overall feedback they get, and they've decreased some of the things that have become tired. Of course, they've introduced new things that will get tired even faster (Chloe, he's not gonna catch on, quit trying, he's too dumb) but these too may disappear in season 5.

I'd still rather watch this than Lost, which moves too slow for me.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader

I'd still rather watch this than Lost, which moves too slow for me.
    Zing! That is the BIGGEST burn on Lost I have ever heard. To say SMALLVILLE is more watchable? Ouch!

And Phantasm I was loving your review until you gave it three stars. C'Mon girl, twist the knife!

Rosenbaum was having a field day with this. He CAN play an evil Lex effectively which was something I worried about. Unfortunately the episode sucked.

And just when Lionel was getting interesting they change him back for NO REASON. There was ZERO resolution to a potentially GREAT arc. I'm good now. Never mind. That's it.

You know I MIGHT believe everyone in Smallville is after Lana if Kristen Kruek weren't such a drip. As it is Lana is making EVERYONE suck.

I am so pissed that this got renewed while Angel was cancelled last year. Wait, it got renewed AGAIN? Frickin' WB. **.
    I've only seen the old "stuff happens, then everyone forgets about it" thing used three times this season before this episode.
    Three times of this same old cliche cop-out cheat wasn't enough for you?
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Damien is offline Watching
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, but this episode was pretty good compared to really sucky ones alot of you have praised. Not the best, obviously, but apart from trying to figure out what exactly black K does, it's in my top 5 for the season.

Also, Phantasm, I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure Lex had a Kryptonite ring before Batman did.

Anyway, now that I've gotten used to Smallville's hokiness and total disregard for the Superman universe we all know, this wasn't a bad episode at all. Not only was Rosenbaum's acting great, but it was nice to finally see a Lex Luthor VS Superman-esque episode. The confrontation in the barn sold it for me.
    However, I had to tape this as I was away directing my play, and my VCR timer was a few minutes off. What happens after Lionel says "We're Luthors," and what was the preview for next week?

adoptedBatpuppy is offline Confidence is the Key
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Are they going to re-air any of the season 4 episodes? I'm to busy with work to catch any. Thank you

Dogbert is offline I Don't See Gravity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedBatpuppy
    Are they going to re-air any of the season 4 episodes? I'm to busy with work to catch any. Thank you
    New epsiodes are schedule through most of May, so you might have to wait until Summer. The DVD set for season 4 is coming on September 13th...

Weibart is offline Intercept Now!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dunno, I kinda liked this episode. It isn't without its faults, but I thought it was pretty devoid of needless stuff.

I like a focused, no nonsense Smallville episode, and for what it was, I think this episode met that requirement for me. The 'Man in the Iron Mask' homage was a bit too strong and cliched, but given the opporitunity offered up in a plot like this, I went with it.

Evil Lex's scene with Clark in the barn worked for me. I was surprised how far they went for it in terms of playing out a classic Lex/Superman meeting, they hit all the beats and I thought it worked out really well. Lex punching Clark out of the barn was telegraphed a bit too much, but the kryptonite ring was cool to see, very Loeb.

The resolution wasn't anything to write home about, but given all that went on in this episode, I was pretty satisfied in the end, which is a rare occurance this season. Lionel snapping wasn't all that welcome though, I thought that would come about in a more interesting way. If this was the episode that made Lionel go back to his old ways then I'll be pretty disappointed. At this point, I'm just glad I've finally seen a Smallville episode that didn't leave me cold.

Patrick Weibel | Writer/Artist of Intercept Now!

My Website: Weibblog |
    Follow Me on Twitter - YouTube - DeviantArt - Tumblr

Jade_GL is offline An Aperture Science Original
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To my knowledge, Lex had the ring before Batman ever did, so blaming this for copying Batman is absolutely silly. The K ring went to Batman after Superman and Batman got it from Lex. Yes, I read those issues of Superman......

I loved it. Call it my guilty pleasure of the week. I LOVED IT.

I loved the over-acting of Rosenbaum. He was great and I liked how far they took it. The only thing that stunk was the automatic return to the status quo at the end, but in a weekly show with no end in sight, you have to keep some things a certain way. There are already two people who know (Pete and Chloe) so having Lex not know anything after he was rejoined was fine with me.

I loved the script. It had it's hokey moments. I especially loved Lex going *Yeah!!!* and pointing at his ring. That was priceless.

Really, I enjoyed this episode way more than any of the crappy witch-centric episodes (including that awful side trek to China episode, ugh). Any episode that has barely any Lana in it is fine with me, especially since her story arc this season is atrocious and eye-roll inducing.

Anyway, I liked it. I liked it alot. It was better than a bunch of this seasons episodes. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd rather watch this five times in row than watch any witch episodes ever again.
    If you dig games, movies and other interesting topics, come and listen to the Happy Pineapple.com Podcasts, hosted by Scott and Erin. Be gentle, we're still learning...

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man I TiVOed this episode and went to watch it today and all I got was an hour of "We're sorry DirectTV is experiencing technical difficulties"I hope they replay it soon. Even if it was a sucky episode I hate missing one.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Rurouni Kenshin is offline Kenshin will be back!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whatever happened to Pete?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast