Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Firefly any good?

Like This Thread!

i'm thinking of picking this up for my brother since he loves scifi television (but hates Star Trek. go figure). i just want to make sure it's of actual quality. it got cancelled by Fox in it's first run. was it a "Fox cancels another brilliant show because they suck" type of cancellation or a "thank goodness, it was a pox on humanity" type of cancellation?
    <('.'<) (^'.'<) (^'.'^) <( '.' )> (^'.'^) (>'.'^) (>'.')> DO THE KIRBY!

Formerly Known As Shadowy Figure and Duke Shadow

silverwings is offline Ronin of Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Firefly is basically a space western. It's not really sci-fi, though it does have elements. It's a Whedon production, so if your friend is a fan of Buffy/Angel, then go for it.
    "Give us cheese! What? No cheese? We're bombing you!" ~Daily Show

"Goverment is nothing more than a group of people ungoverned." ~ Shepard, Firefly

Goldeneye: 1390-6187-4719

ManicWebb is offline You were cold as ice...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's put it this way. After Fox cancelled the show, the DVD sales went through the roof, and Universal bought the rights to allow Joss Whedon to make a movie that will come out September next year.

Master Moron is offline Forum Elder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only seen a few episodes, but it really never seemed to be on par with Buffy and Angel. I mean, Buffy and Angel started out with small casts of three or four people and gradually built the cast. Firefly started with a huge cast right from the pilot. It felt too rushed. Not enough time to get to know the individual characters. Not enough of a continuous plot.

silverwings is offline Ronin of Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Moron
    I've only seen a few episodes, but it really never seemed to be on par with Buffy and Angel. I mean, Buffy and Angel started out with small casts of three or four people and gradually built the cast. Firefly started with a huge cast right from the pilot. It felt too rushed. Not enough time to get to know the individual characters. Not enough of a continuous plot.
    You can blame that on Fox, I'm sure, as the pilot that was supposed to air was considered too boring by the network and they told Whedon to make another one. Can't remember if the "real" pilot is on the DVDs, though... meh..

The movie, I think, goes into their origins though, right?
    "Give us cheese! What? No cheese? We're bombing you!" ~Daily Show

"Goverment is nothing more than a group of people ungoverned." ~ Shepard, Firefly

Goldeneye: 1390-6187-4719

cross blues is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Shadow
    i'm thinking of picking this up for my brother since he loves scifi television (but hates Star Trek. go figure). i just want to make sure it's of actual quality. it got cancelled by Fox in it's first run. was it a "Fox cancels another brilliant show because they suck" type of cancellation or a "thank goodness, it was a pox on humanity" type of cancellation?
    I watched the pilot and then never watched again. that should tell you what I think of it.

instead, I'd recommend an early season of the X Files. that is the best sci-fi tv I've ever seen. and there are some aliens, but not a whole lot of star trek-type stuff.

Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cross blues
    I watched the pilot and then never watched again. that should tell you what I think of it.

instead, I'd recommend an early season of the X Files. that is the best sci-fi tv I've ever seen. and there are some aliens, but not a whole lot of star trek-type stuff.
    Technically the pilot didn't air till near the end of it's run, so you never did really see it.

However, the show is very much worth it. I loved every minute of it, up until the last episode when I realized I'd have no more to watch.

-BB
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Bleu Unicorn is offline \(^o^)/
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *sigh* Threads like this make me sad.

The thing about Firefly when it aired, much like Wonderfalls, is that FOX didn't quite get it, so instead of give it a chance, they massacred it. They didn't like the pilot, they made Joss and Tim write a new pilot, they refused to air the real pilot and when they finally did - they had already cancelled the show and aired most of the first season. In the end, the pilot was the series finale. Not to mention Fridays on FOX are eventual death sentences for television shows.

That said, watching the show on DVD, the way Joss intended it to be seen - it made me love the show so much more. It made sense. There was a story and unlike most garbage tv nowadays it wasn't spoonfed to you. It had pretty much any kind of genre thrown in there - sci-fi, western, drama, comedy, action, romance...blah blah blah.

The short of it - heck yeah it's good!
    If you're a fan of Joss Whedon or Tim Minear - I guarantee you'll eat up every second of it. And if you aren't...you're missing out.
    — Cyndy Otty —
    http://gentlewit.com

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Reed Richards is offline Mr. Fantastic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i HATE Joss Whedon, but i LOVED Firefly

a space western? AWESOME!

Fox is so stupid for cancelling this show....

btw 1000th post

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a good show.

The pilot HAS to be on the DVD, right? That and the completed first episode? It is the complete series right?
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Ruffian is offline f.k.a. Twilight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fone Bone
    The pilot HAS to be on the DVD, right? That and the completed first episode? It is the complete series right?
    14 episodes on the DVD set. One is the two hour pilot originally aired at the end after the series was cancelled like Bird Boy said, but it's the first episode in the DVD set. 3 out of the 14 are also unaired episodes. So it's complete in which all the finished episodes, aired and unaired, are included.

I also think it is a good series, and like Bleu Unicorn, I enjoyed it much more on DVD than FOX's airing.
    "Every day you sit behind your desk and you learn a little more how to accept the world the way it is. Well, here's the rub: heroes don't do that. Heroes don't accept the world the way it is. They fight it." - Lindsey McDonald, Angel

For the Honor of Grayskull

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A great show. I liked the large cast. The Captain was diverse enough to be interesting rather than just another space captain clone, the script tight and the production values were really good. Roll on the movie.

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

oranthal is offline A hero in life and in death
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Although I watch quite a number of TV shows back when Firefly aired, there were only a few shows that I actually liked, and Firefly was one of them. However, it isn't very "SciFi", but it might have enough of SciFi elements that your brother might like.
    King Beld: Conquest. Unification. It's all the same.

Mynd Hed is offline Holy blue on a popo!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually just watched the pilot last night at a friend's insistence, and I'm planning on picking up the box set for myself, if that gives you any indication. I found most of the characters instantly likable (if occasionally a bit on the WB-sitcom too-pretty side), and I liked that it acknowledged certain laws of physics usually eschewed by the makers of TV sci-fi, i.e. that there's no gravity in space and that sound can't carry in a vacuum.
    The universe is very Cowboy Bebop-esque if you've ever seen that show, and while Firefly isn't as good (what is?), it's definitely worth a look. If you can get that look by getting it as a Christmas present for a friend so that you're not buying it sight-unseen for yourself, so much the better. (C'mon, who hasn't bought something as a present for a friend just so that they themselves can borrow it later? 'Fess up.)

Jaguar is offline Cogito ergo doleum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting to compare it to CB, Mynd Hed. I always thought it to be more like Outlaw Star myself.

Anyways, I picked up the DVD set about a year ago, and it's a pretty good show, probably the best Whedon show IMO despite its shortness. It's especially great if you need an escape from the sci-fi norms that we have become so used to.
    Jag man you know I tear up every time I see you 'round." -RD

Mandi-chan is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Firefly is the best scifi show I've ever seen! It's worth the money, trust me!