1 5.88%

3 17.65%
  • 1/2

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kolbar is offline @Cinecrisis on Twitter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Adventure and Imagination Will Meet At the Final Frontier

"I have a half-brother." - Spock

Release Date: June 9, 1989
    Studio: Paramount Pictures
    Director: William Shatner
    Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, David Warner, Laurence Luckinbill, Charles Cooper, Cynthia Gouw, Todd Bryant, Spice Williams, Rex Holman, George Murdock

Plot Summary: When the newly-christened starship Enterprise's shakedown cruise goes poorly, Captain Kirk and crew put it into Spacedock for repairs. But an urgent mission interrupts their Earth-bound shore leave. A renegade Vulcan named Sybok has taken several ambassadors hostage on the planet Nimbus III, an event which also attracts the attention of a Klingon captain who wants to make a name for himself. Sybok's rag-tag army captures the Enterprise and takes it on a journey to the center of the galaxy in search of the Supreme Being.

Comments?

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chris Wood is offline Desslar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's to discuss? It sucks.

Delthayre is offline Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why the **** did God need a space ship?

Row, row, row your boa...DEAR GOD, MAKE IT STOP!
    “What is earnest is not always true; on the contrary, error is often more earnest than truth.”
    ~Benjamin Disraeli

Nightflower is offline Floral Mod Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think everyone summed up my feelings quite nicely.
    Nightflower
    "No amount of careful planning can ever replace dumb luck."
    http://nightflower.sixie.net
    Updated 2006-06-27

The Drizzle is offline BARRY! =(
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen better. But I've also seen worse.
    "I'd like to be a race car passenger, just the guy that bugs the driver. 'Can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide.'"
    - Mitch Hedberg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you want a good laugh, here's a great review of this movie:

http://www.jabootu.com/startrekv.htm

In fact I'm sure reading it will be much more enjoyable than actually watching the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I may be in the minority here, but I enjoyed Final Frontier more than both Search for Spock and Generations.

First off, the humor is good, especially the Kirk-Spock-Bones dialogue.

Second of all, the score is awesome. I'm a sucker for the TMP/TNG theme--it just gives me goosebumps!

Also, the plot is more lighthearted and thus more TOS. After the darkness of Search for Spock, this one is certaintly a relief.

And, I love the design of the Consitution-Refit Enterprise-A. They just need to get it working right.

Final Grade: B+

David Lucas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, hey, hey.

Some good came out of this movie!

That Duckman parody with Khan Chicken was priceless.

"In an universe where nothing that we do matters, the only thing that matters is what we do."

DarkAngel is offline Lord Vader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimatedSnow47
    I may be in the minority here, but I enjoyed Final Frontier more than both Search for Spock and Generations.
    I liked it also, though I would put most of the other Trek movies above it. But I liked the humor and loved the ending (everything on the planet where they confronted "God"). IMO, the worse was the first.

Squall is offline Calm Before The Storm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Worst Star Trek movie. Period.

In fact, I'm a big Star Trek fan, and the only movies I did like were Star Treks II (The Wrath of Khan), III (The Search For Spock), VI (The Undiscovered Country), and First Contact. All the other movies were terrible -- especially this one!

I've always been of the opinion that Star Trek is better suited for TV, and should stop making movies altogether...
    Favorites! (1) Action: Transformers & G.I. Joe; Visionairies; The DCAU; Robotech, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Trigun; TMNT, MOTU; and Avengers: EMH; (2) Comedy: The Simpsons & Futurama, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast & The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, ATHF, The Boondocks, The Venture Bros., and Archer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    guess I must be also in the minority here too. I liked Star Trek V. loved the interaction between Spock,Bones and Kirk when they go camping.
    I thought Shatner did ok directing it but would of loved to see the special edition he had planned for the DVD release last year or was it this year i forgot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonamiFanatic
    guess I must be also in the minority here too. I liked Star Trek V. loved the interaction between Spock,Bones and Kirk when they go camping.
    From Jabootu.com:

We cut to Yosemite National Park, on Earth. We see a slim man (his face oddly not shown) barehandedly rock climbing up a gigantic cliff face. This goes on for about two straight minutes of screentime. Amazingly, when we finally get a look at his face, he turns out to be James Kirk. And somehow he’s instantly put on about forty pounds. Meanwhile, on the ground, Dr. McCoy (or "Bones" for the aficionado) watches nervously as Kirk ascends ever higher. In the film’s first example of much-too-broad "humor," the muttering Bones complains that if this keeps up, he’ll start talking to himself. Ha ha! Get it? He is talking to himself! What a knee-slapper! Boy, and that Bones, huh? He’s always complaining about something!

Kirk receives a start when Spock appears next to him, hovering on jet-boots. Hmmm, it doesn’t seem too "logical" to startle a man clinging to a rock face some thousands of feet in the air, but what do I know? And how do those jet-boots work? Particularly the guidance system. How would you stabilize your posture? If you tilted your head the wrong way, wouldn’t you crash into the mountain? Not too surprisingly, Spock’s conversation distracts Kirk to the point where he slips off the rock face.

Spock, somehow controlling his miraculous jet-boots, dives down in pursuit. After some truly laughable bluescreen effects of Kirk and Spock "falling", Spock manages to grab ahold of Kirk’s leg, mere inches before he hits the ground (uh, what happened to all the kinetic energy Kirk built up while falling? Why doesn’t his leg rip out of its socket when Spock grabs it?). Making the "jet-boot" idea even more untenable, we see that Spock is now hovering horizontal to the ground (?!). As McCoy runs up, Kirk wittily asks, "Mind if we drop in for dinner?" (Please, just shoot me now.)
    You liked that???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desslar
    From Jabootu.com:

You liked that???
    Funny, and a little thing called 'suspension of disbelief.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desslar
    From Jabootu.com:

You liked that???
    sounds fine with me it is a movie.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh God, I'm not sure I should have watched this one after all.

Over the weekend (Sunday) I sat down and watched my old VHS tape (thanks mainly in part to Star Trek: Movie Memories) and goodness, I really feel bad for Shatner. Not only where the SFX bad, but the dialogue...don't even get me started on it. If only Shatner's true vision could have been seen.

By the way, what's up with that jacket he wear's in the first half of the film, do we ever see it again? Was this the first and only time it's been used?
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a special fondness for The Final Frontier because it was the first Star Trek movie I saw in the theater, and I can still remember it clearly. I was 10, and it was just awesome to finally see the crew and the Enterprise on the big screen, and I remembering having an absolute blast. Perhaps I don't like it quite as much nowadays as I did back then, and it'd probably be my second least-favorite (second only to The Motion Picture), but I still like it.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

Bones Justice is offline Bring on the noise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie was worth seeing but wasn't great. I liked some of the comedy though they were definitely trying too hard. And I think it would have been a better movie if "God" hadn't been so obvious of a fake. The old television episode when Kirk & Company ran into a Greek god was better in almost every way.

My favorite scene in the movie is when Sybock has Kirk by the throat and the rifle falls at Spock's feet. Kirk struggles to get enough breath to say, "Pick..it...up!" Dramatic and funny at the same time.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*1/2

I am never, NEVER watching this movie again without accompanying rifftrax by Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy. It's finally COMFORTABLE to laugh at this film.

Okay, so it was the worst Trek movie ever. But I think that's a good thing. It's like the black hole of the Trek movies, sucking up a lot of the flack the surrounding movies could have gotten and making them "better" by comparison. At least in Trek III Kirk had some substantial character development. In Trek V they're all bumbling around and experiencing old angst that never existed before or since. (Well, except maybe Spock's deal, but he resisted Sybok's brainwashing anyway.) And that "romance" between Uhura and Scott...ugh. We're all glad what happened in Trek V...stayed in Trek V.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - *1/2
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier with rifftrax - ****

Lutochris is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad this was bumped, I've always wanted to say something about it.

Yes, it's the worst Star Trek movie. But it's not THAT bad.

Yes, the direction was terrible. Yes, the special effects were laughable, even by 1989 standards. And yes, the script seemed like something a really bad fanfiction writer would write.

But these actors truly bring something special to their roles. They just seem to enjoy being on screen together, even if what they're doing/saying is completely absurd, even by Star Trek standards. They all have an undeniable chemistry that makes even the poorest attempts at humor in the script enjoyable. Granted, one terrible movie with this cast is enough, but it could have been far worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast