toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outlander00 is offline Another Stand Alone Complex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Drawing Board Workshops Reference Thread

Like This Thread!
    Welcome to the official Drawing Board Workshops Reference Thread!

Here, you will find many selections made by the DB and the TZ community members for references in URL, book, or video form to help you with your art. Have a suggestion that we have not found or missed? Just post it here!

To start this off... Here are some suggestions:

URL:

www.artlex.com <- Great reference site... A dictionary of sorts for all art.

www.polykarbon.com <- A site suggested by resident lurker, Silverknight, a month or two ago... Great for comic type drawing tutorials and CG art as well.

Books:

Grays Anatomy - A great reference for the human antomy.

Anatomy for the Artist by Jeno Barscay - Another great reference that gives an intricate view of the human body and figure drawing

The Art of the Matrix - Rather pricey at $60.00, but great to see how some of the best artists draw production designs and story boards (or sequential art in general)

Gladiator: The Making of the Ridley Scott Epic - Another good reference for story boarding, overall sequential art, and production design

Any books by Scott Mccloud - Sure, they are great reads to understand comics... But he also lays out a lot of basic tools used for Sequential art (Hell, all the books are in comic book form )

Warner Bros. Animation Art - Shows a lot of animation stills and how characters are designed.

Batman: Animated - Another great reference for character design and sequential art.

Well, Im spent now on references. Anyone have anymore? Share them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    www.penciljack.com

It's a website similiar to the DB Workshop, where you can post pictures and art and get critical feedback. The only downside I see to this place is that there are some very harsh critics. I've seen very good pieces (professsional quality) torn to shreds, so be prepared to hear things you don't want to. Or you can stick to here.
    Recent fun stuff:
    - From the Ashes [JLU, C]
    - The Dark Knight Triumphant

"Mmm, bacon."
    "Stop it."

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Call me lazy, but I suggest popping to the website of UK comic 2000AD - www.2000adonline.com - it has a host of artist and techincal links as well as showcasing some of the new and old British artists.

2000AD was the launching point for artists such as Brian Bolland (Killing Joke/Batman), Cam Kennedy (Star Wars Dark Empire/Vendetta On Gotham), Simon Bisley (Judgement On Gotham, Lobo), Glenn Fabry (Preacher Covers/Slaine), Steve Dillon (Preacher), Alan Davis (Excalibur), Kevin O'Neil (Martial Law), Mark Farmer (Batman) and Dave Gibbons (Batman/Watchmen)... among others. So worth having a look through to see what styles are launching aside from Marvel's influx of submanga.. 2000AD is a place to go!

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have another reference site on the behalf of our favorite Flower Mod, who had posted in another thread... Figured I post it here for collection purposes

The site is a great tutorial for perspective.

http://www.kantharasloft.com/Myst%20...rspective.html

Again, thanks to NF for the great reference site.

Edit: Fixed the link. ^_^ -NF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I thought it was time to bump this very useful thread with a couple of recent suggestions by Easily Amewsed

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Amewsed
    Comics and Sequential Art by Wil Eisner (Before there was Scott, there was Eisner)

Toon Art by Steven Withrow ( more of a showcase, but has tutorials and commentary by many current online comikers with a broad variety of styles)

Nightflower is offline Floral Mod Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    More links:

Kanthara's domain was taken down, so here's the new link for the time being:

http://montreal.sibername.com/~kanth...ive/index.html

It's a very good perspective tutorial.

http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/shanesboard/

This is a very good message board started by Shane Glines. There's a couple of TZ regulars there, including your humble servant, ovi, and Salvor.

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

Many different tutorials, including drawing women, CG-ing, anime hair, and clothing. It has a strong anime slant, but the tutorial for drawing women is still very good, and you should take a look at the CG ones too.

http://www.myst.org/tutorials.html

More tutorials, including very good ones on how to use Painter and Open Canvas, and generally drawing/inking/marker tips. It also has a discussion about drawing tablets, if you're interested in buying one.

http://aimee.wyvernweb.com/anim/animatr.html

Various articles and a couple of tutorials if you're interested in pursuing a career in Animation by Aimee Major.
    Nightflower
    "No amount of careful planning can ever replace dumb luck."
    http://nightflower.sixie.net
    Updated 2006-06-27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a couple more to add for reference... mostly since it hasnt been updated in a LONG time

Caught in the Web : Dreaming Up the World of Spider-Man 2 - Nice in depth book of production design for the movie from character design to story boarding.

From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell - Beside one of the best graphic novels written, it also is very well drawn and the visual story telling is an example of good sequential art.

Ill have more Im sure

Bic
    Bic is offline Acid-filled Twinkies!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I just received How to Draw Comics: From Script to Print DVD from TwoMorrows Publishing. I'll check it out and let you know. That reminds me, if you can find it, Stan Lee did a video series with some artists back in the early 90's, in particluar The Comic Book Greats with Jim Lee, hosted by Stan Lee was one of the best in the bunch, as the take you from start to finish on a panel in a comic book art. It was an amazing video, also the one with Romita Sr. and Jr. was pretty good too.

5/6/05 - Edit.
    Found out the Jim Lee Video is out of print, so finding it may prove to be difficult. I also put my review of How to Draw Comics: From Script to Print DVD in the field below. I'm not a reviewer by nature, but I hope all of you find it informative enough to go on.
    Last edited by Bic; 05-07-2005 at 03:10 AM.
    "The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake." - GLaDOS

Bic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Title: How to Draw Comics: From Script to Screen
    Publisher: TwoMorrows Publishing
    Featuring: Mike Manley, Danny Fingeroth
    Running Length: 120 minutes
    Format:
    DVD
    Extra Features:
    The script, layouts, pencils, inks and colors of the first seven pages of a comic, plus character designs.
    ISBN:
    1-893905-39-X
    MSRP: $29.95

Synopsis:

Mike Manley (DarkHawk, Batman, Barb Wire) and Danny Fingeroth (former Spider-Man Group Editor) sit down and show us how a new character is created, from initial idea, to script, to drawn, colored and printed first story. This DVD documents the brainstorming process between Mike and Danny as they come up with their new characters and concepts step-by-step. Danny discusses the scripting, and Mike walks us through character design, layouts, penciling, inking, coloring, and lettering.

Review:

This is a very informative instructional DVD. However, it is not geared towards the novice artist, as it does not go into anatomy, perspective, or other beginning drawing skills. What is shown is how the Artist approaches a comic page and the elements in designing it. One nice feature is not even on the DVD, it is the ability to view excerpts from the DVD at the Publisher’s website to decide whether to purchase it or not.

There are six chapters on the DVD:

• Plot and Layout – Since this DVD is more geared towards the artist’s mindset and not towards the writer’s one, we do not get a sense of the creation of the character or plot mechanics from the writer’s point of view. We get to see the decision making that Mike does when looking at the plot for page one, and he comments on why he opts for one approach over the other. One of the more important things in the first chapter that is demonstrated is not a drawing or writing skill at all, but that of constant communication between the artist and writer and how critical it can be in the design and layout process.
    • Tools – A quick chapter briefly describing the tools Mike uses. Examples shown of each tool’s use would be great, however as the rest of the DVD goes on they do come into play, so it is not that big of a problem, but I did wish he showcased the paper type used. He does state that humidity can affect how your pencils and inks react to the paper, which I did not know about though I should since I live in Hawaii where it can be very humid at times.
    • Penciling – This is the bread and butter of the DVD. This chapter details the penciling of the page, using the different tools for penciling, and discussing a basic concept of the page mechanics such as tight and loose pencils and light and dark values. It is a very informative chapter as we see the page take a definite shape.
    • Inking – Like with the chapter before, he describes the process of inking and gives us more insight of the role of light and shadow in a panel. The use of the different tools is neat to watch as we can see how they each behave differently on the paper. We also get a chance to see what happens when an inking error occurs and how Mike deals with it.
    • Coloring – This was a different take to coloring process than what I use, but it was interesting nonetheless. Although he did not mention how what setting to use for scanning the image for coloring, if you look at his screen closely you can see the settings are set for 600dpi at 100% size. This chapter was not as informative as the previous chapters and like the drawing aspects it requires that you know basic Adobe PhotoShop functions.
    • Lettering- This chapter is a very quick foray into Adobe Illustrator as to the creation of the lettering. Again knowledge of the program is mandatory for this portion as well. Two things would have made this chapter a bit more informative. 1.) the reasons why Danny chooses the areas used for the word balloons, and 2.) why use Illustrator for letters instead of PhotoShop or hand lettering.
    Overall: I was genuinely impressed with the title. It did what it set out to do and I learned some things in the process. As with all special intrest programs, if one is not interested in the subject matter, they would be bored really fast, so keep that in mind if you plan to watch it with your significant other.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Twinkies.

Techincal Issues: I would have preferred a background soundtrack, unobtrusive and complimentary to the content, instead of quick music cues for the beginning of a chapter. Also, while not the DVD's fault, on my older 17" LCD certain parts during the layout and penciling stages were 'washed out' by the LCDs low tolerance of light values. Looked great on my TV and my cousin's new Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD Monitor.
    "The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake." - GLaDOS

Bic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Manga Studio Review Link

I was going to post my impressions about using Manga Studio Debut, but someone else beat me to the punch.

Here's an article over at IGN which has a nice overview of the product.

For $40, I think it's a great deal for what you can do with it. Also, the progarm has much better Brush and Pencil tools than PhotoShop in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast