toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stu
    Stu is online now Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Draw Your Own - Iron Man

Like This Thread!

Hi everyone,

If any of are familiar with comic books, you will hopefully have heard of a gentleman by the name of Mike Wieringo, one of the all time great comic book artists who tradgically passed away last year. I was a big of 'Ringo and always enjoyed reading his posts on his blog and viewing his beautiful sketches.

One of my favourite things about his blog was his sketches for www.drawingboard.org, in which various creators all took a stab at drawing a certain character however they saw fit. It gave Mike the chance to draw characters he rarely had the chance to and gave him a bit of variation in his work - you could also tell from his posts that he really enjoyed and he produced some cracking pieces.

But this isn't the place for me to express my sadness that the late great 'Ringo is never with us. This is The Drawing Board, here we draw!

I thought the idea of everyone posting thier own drawing of a certain character could lead to some interest posts here at our own forum and now invite you all to contribute towards the idea. This hopefully won't come across as formal as it's all just designed for a bit of fun and to see some cool drawings. I thought we'd start with someone who's always fun to sketch and offera a lot of variation but isn't seen around here too often. With his movie out soon and looking like it might just whoop everyone's ass, ladies and gentleman, I present to you, Iron Man!

Anyone else up for posting thier pics of ol' shellhead in this here thread?
    Last edited by Stu; 04-27-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Captain Highwind is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bic
    Bic is offline Acid-filled Twinkies!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake." - GLaDOS

Good Ol' Batmanuel! is offline Dressing for success?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had planned to make some Lego Iron Men at some point anyway, even before I was aware of the movie, but what a nice excuse to finally get into it.

Here they are:

The "Silver Centurion" armor, the original gray armor, a classic red and gold suit and War Machine.
    Last edited by Good Ol' Batmanuel!; 05-03-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A pretty nice variety so far! I hope there are more entries.

Chewie33 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sketch

this was just for fun. i havent drawn in a long while. stumbled onto this board again and thought i would contribute a bit. havent seen the movie yet but am excited to.

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll do one this week. Brilliant idea Stu - and I love the diversity here. Highwind - yours is exceptional.

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

- it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Those fingers are somethin' else, James! Nice dynamic pose.

And that's pretty cute, T.F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The silliest, spindliest I could come up with. Thank you my Lego fixated friend!

- it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Thank you my Lego fixated friend!
    Yeah, I guess that's kinda true for now. If I posted some "real" art, though, I dunno if people would care too much because it's not pop culture-related. Haha.

I do plan on taking pics of more stuff. (I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel now, though) I have an ancient scanner, but I don't even know if these drivers I found will work with Vista. I'd rather just macro up some pictures of them for now. Just need a good light source and no shadows. Perhaps the front porch would do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Ol' Batmanuel! View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's kinda true for now. If I posted some "real" art, though, I dunno if people would care too much because it's not pop culture-related. Haha.

I do plan on taking pics of more stuff. (I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel now, though) I have an ancient scanner, but I don't even know if these drivers I found will work with Vista. I'd rather just macro up some pictures of them for now. Just need a good light source and no shadows. Perhaps the front porch would do!
    Don't stop. I enjoy these little humourous pieces of lego-wonder. Post different stuff by all means, but do keep throwing out these fun pint sized characters!

- it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yes, I certainly will. I've been on a roll lately. I'm probably doing [even] more Batman-related ones next.

Stu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some great pieces. As a fan of the character, it's nice to see Iron Man around here. I'm thankful you all took the time to contribute.

Highwind - A wonderful mix of modern and old school. I especially love the colouring.

Bic - Gorgeous, as always.

Good Ol' Batmanuel! - I love these lego drawings. They amuse me to look at, but there's some definate attention to detail, especially with the Dikto armour. No idea how you do these, but they genuinly impress me everytime.

Chewie33 - I like it. Simple, but effective. I tried something similar in the first post in the thread, but didn't quite pull it off as well as I'd have liked.

Temple Fugate - Huh? Who? What?

James - Impressive. I wouldn't have imagined what you could've produced with Iron Man previously (are you a fan?) but I think this is one of your more memorable pieces. Classic Iron Man pose too.

Does anyone else care to join in?

While I am here, what's everyone's thoughts on Draw Your Own? Is it something we should continue doing? Any ideas to help improve upon it?

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    me: Check out what I did for a message board.
    friend: What is he supposed to be?
    me: You can't figure it out?
    friend: No.
    me: Come onnnnn...
    friend: Just tell me. Who is he?
    me: Iron Man.
    friend: ...
    me: ?
    friend: I'm going to hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    While I am here, what's everyone's thoughts on Draw Your Own? Is it something we should continue doing? Any ideas to help improve upon it?
    This is pretty much the same thing as the Art Jams, isn't it? I'm always game for this kind of thing if I have the time and the interest. Though I admit to liking "Draw Your Own" as a better activity title. It's more energizing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say this differs from the ASJs in that it's more 'locked in.' More of a 'do such and such' a thing whereas the Jams are more 'here's a theme, now run with it.' I like it, though, especially as a side project sort of thing rather a deadlined collaboration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think we'll be ditching the Jams for a while and running with "Draw Your Own" for two reasons:

1. They are more specific, allowing members to focus their imaginations rather than getting in a rut looking for ideas.
    2. They aren't deadlined - allowing for members to post whenever they wish.
    3. They get continued interest being "hands on" rather than held back for a specific "gallery date".

Yes, that's three reasons - congratulations, you've passed the counting test I clearly didn't.

All the pictures will go up on the Drawing Board website for archiving, and late additions will be added whenever they are added to the thread.

We have another one planned this weekend - they wouldn't normally be so thick and fast, but there is reason to such madness!

- it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter

Stu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm personally happier with these - I thought the DB Jams got a little too formal in thier later stages and from the number of results we've got, everyone seemed to be getting a little burned out on them.

As James said, we've got a new one planned for the weekend, but if there's any suggestions you've got, please let James or myself know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

- it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast